Who likes wood? Basement Bar Build

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
So I am very close to creating a bar in my basement.  Mostly DIY if I can at all help it. So I am curious if we have any carpenters/cabinet makers/avid woodworkers in the forum here.  Someone I can bounce ideas off of and call a mentor for a while.

Anyone?:)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Re: Who likes wood?

Ya Kitchener is a bit far lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

I've built 5 bars, and wrote a column for a magazine on home bar construction :)

I will say this: make it comfortable, and be sure there's a tv behind the bar or nobody will ever use it. 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

I have no doubts as to if I could build the actual bar part, plumb it all in, do the electrical.  All things I have done as single jobs before.  Throw them all into the same project and I start to run into what gets done first and such.  I have never done cabinets before.  I do not like diving into projects with out having it completely thought out, and I am not at that point yet lol.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor

Outdoor bar and patio with tank inside and open glass where the tank glass is veiwbale from outside. On the patio.  Yu can just built a wood thingy with styrofoam insulation to cover that in the winter

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

This is the are I am working with.

That back wall is 11ft wide and the ceiling is 7'8".  Window is about 42 from the wall and a little more than 42 from the floor.

BlankBarArea-3d_zps3dcb9744.png

For the back wall, Something like this but I may have to ditch the top shelf for a TV spot. But that is the general feel I am going for.
contemporary-wine-cellar.jpg

or this but htat is a 12ft ceiling.
traditional-media-room.jpg

The bar will wrap around under the window and then back across the opening following standard bar heights and stuff.  The piece of counter that runs under the window will be a kind of computer area. multi use area :) Actual Bar length will be approx. 8 ft.

Bar2D_zpsb566dabf.png

Other details are that the floor in this area is tile on concrete floor.  On the ceiling there is a bulkhead for the ducting that drops the ceiling 9".  It actually works alright as far as creating a separation between the bar and the rest of the rec room.  I'll post some actual pictures later.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

and there is no plumbing in that part of the house :(  anyone ever used those sink drain pumps?

http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Pumps-404-Residential-Drain/dp/B001DEOFLW

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Salty Cracker link said:
I've built 5 bars, and wrote a column for a magazine on home bar construction :)

I will say this: make it comfortable, and be sure there's a tv behind the bar or nobody will ever use it. 

I will take any information, plans or build pictures you have lying around and collecting dust. :)

I am going to use the Chicago Bar Rail and probably and up with a very similar looking bar just stained darker.  What size tv should I look at.  I have a 46 in plasma lieing around doing nothing but I have a feeling it will be too big for the space.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com

Poseidon link said:
I think Dave has a tank begin his bar

I do, but my "bar" is nothing like Glens.  It is a POS in comparison.  To be honest I didn't plan it out as best as I should have and money was tight at the time of the renovation. 

I still can't find some decent bar stools for a reasonable price.  Not to take the thread off topic, but I am sure Neo will need some stools as well.

Glen, where do you buy your stools from?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
First question.... Electrical.

I plan on 1 Fridge or Wine Cooler.... and One Kegerator.

Can I put those both on a standard 15Amp cct or do they want them separated or just up size to 20Amp

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
BIGSHOW link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=8214.msg87046#msg87046 date=1395662806]
I think Dave has a tank begin his bar

I do, but my "bar" is nothing like Glens.  It is a POS in comparison.  To be honest I didn't plan it out as best as I should have and money was tight at the time of the renovation. 

I still can't find some decent bar stools for a reasonable price.  Not to take the thread off topic, but I am sure Neo will need some stools as well.

Glen, where do you buy your stools from?
[/quote]
Stools are the most $$$ I spent.  I bought them from 'table and chair' company, and ended up hating them, so I had a guy over by sealife modify them for me, but he charged 2x what he quoted, so those things are almost $400 apiece (!!!).  That's insane.
Stools are the most expensive thing in the bar lol. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Neopimp link said:
First question.... Electrical.

I plan on 1 Fridge or Wine Cooler.... and One Kegerator.

Can I put those both on a standard 15Amp cct or do they want them separated or just up size to 20Amp

Talk to reefhero, he was over checking mine out. Always get an electrician to check it out if possible, I always did when someone else was paying the tab but at home I ran out of breaker space so I have a big strain on the system when I have a lot of people over (the fog machine alone must take 15A).  A 100A pony panel would be my ideal choice...able to turn off things easily as you leave the room.  As it is, I have to run all over the place at night. 

Oh and heated floor.  Nothing better than heated floor in a bar :)