Who likes wood? Basement Bar Build

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Oh a couple of other things.

you need space behind the bar, but not so much that people will want to gather back there.  You need 2x2 feet of floorspace for every guest at minumum to figure out your occupancy.  45 deg corners in a bar attract people like a moth to flame, I have no idea why.  Get the BIGGEST DEEPEST sink you can.  Screw those little bar sinks.  Tap with a pull out extension, very good lighting, biggest fridge you can fit/afford, and as much space as possible for alcohol storage (I often had to use a dispenser for the common liquors, which is a bit cheesy).

Get an ice machine of some sort too, gotta love having ice in 5 mins.  Don't go with black granite anywhere in the bar, it shows every spot of water and absorbs too much light.

Again, heated floor!

Oh and make sure your bathroom facilities are closeby.  NOBODY wants to climb stairs to the bathroom.  :)

I actually have pdf files of some of the articles I did on planning and construction, no idea how to upload them though. 

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
what kind of stools yu want ?  oak,swivel.just a round seat or like a chair with arm rests ?    go see forever furniture on london line ..i used to finish all the furniture for them when they where done build by the mennonites ..the guy that owns forever furniture .. started the bisniess in our shop.  tell them who send yu if yu go see them

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=8214.msg87076#msg87076 date=1395673722]
First question.... Electrical.

I plan on 1 Fridge or Wine Cooler.... and One Kegerator.

Can I put those both on a standard 15Amp cct or do they want them separated or just up size to 20Amp

Talk to reefhero, he was over checking mine out. Always get an electrician to check it out if possible, I always did when someone else was paying the tab but at home I ran out of breaker space so I have a big strain on the system when I have a lot of people over (the fog machine alone must take 15A).  A 100A pony panel would be my ideal choice...able to turn off things easily as you leave the room.  As it is, I have to run all over the place at night. 

Oh and heated floor.  Nothing better than heated floor in a bar :)
[/quote]

Ya I am out of room on the main panel so I need to put a sub panel in in the bar area.  Actually firstI need to see what kind of loads the house is pulling currently.  Its a 100 AMp breaker for the house, and with a hot tub, 2 fridges, elec stove, elec dryer and the fish tank in the mix already I am curious how many amps my house is pulling. :)

I can say the heated floor will not happen.

I plan on back bar lighin.. under cabinets and counters etc, and brighter ceiling lights.  1 cct for electrical outlets, 1 for fridge and 1 for the sink drain pump. 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Salty Cracker link said:

you need space behind the bar, but not so much that people will want to gather back there.  You need 2x2 feet of floorspace for every guest at minumum to figure out your occupancy.  45 deg corners in a bar attract people like a moth to flame, I have no idea why.  Get the BIGGEST DEEPEST sink you can.  Screw those little bar sinks.  Tap with a pull out extension, very good lighting, biggest fridge you can fit/afford, and as much space as possible for alcohol storage (I often had to use a dispenser for the common liquors, which is a bit cheesy).

Get an ice machine of some sort too, gotta love having ice in 5 mins.  Don't go with black granite anywhere in the bar, it shows every spot of water and absorbs too much light.

Again, heated floor!

Oh and make sure your bathroom facilities are closeby.  NOBODY wants to climb stairs to the bathroom.  :)

I actually have pdf files of some of the articles I did on planning and construction, no idea how to upload them though. 

the total area I am working with is 11 x 12 ish.  I don't have many friends so I am not worried about entertaining 50 people.  This is more of an excuse for me to have draft beer anytime I want it. 

I like the darker wood stains,  granite will not likely happen either, probably wood or regular counter top stuff.  I do have a budget to try and stick with lol.

The bathroom in is that hallway on the other side of the closet, and the exterior door to the hot tub is there as well.

I will ask for a fog machine but my wife doesn't enjoy clubbing although I bet my 6 year old would absolutely love it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Petercar link said:
what kind of stools yu want ?  oak,swivel.just a round seat or like a chair with arm rests ?    go see forever furniture on london line ..i used to finish all the furniture for them when they where done build by the mennonites ..the guy that owns forever furniture .. started the bisniess in our shop.  tell them who send yu if yu go see them

This is a good suggestion.  Personal experience for this sort of thing is "swivel, not auto return, high back and armrests".  Padded foam for seat cushions and definitely footrests.  These are for long term sitting/boozing/passing out.  Wood is good :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Neopimp link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=8214.msg87079#msg87079 date=1395674928]

Again, heated floor!

the total area I am working with is 11 x 12 ish.  I don't have many friends so I am not worried about entertaining 50 people.  This is more of an excuse for me to have draft beer anytime I want it. 

I like the darker wood stains,  granite will not likely happen either, probably wood or regular counter top stuff.  I do have a budget to try and stick with lol.

The bathroom in is that hallway on the other side of the closet, and the exterior door to the hot tub is there as well.

I will ask for a fog machine but my wife doesn't enjoy clubbing although I bet my 6 year old would absolutely love it.
[/quote]

The nicest one I ever did, and damn I don't have a pic...I did birch veneer ply for the top of the bar.  I put in a light stain, then sanded areas to make it look like it had been "worn" over years and possibly a century of use.  Spots where the customer would sit, and areas behind the bar where the bartender would be.  Then I did a satin clearcoat and I swear it looked like it came out of an ancient saloon.  Best feedback I ever got on a bar.  People love history, even if it's not real :)

shipwreck

Neopimp link said:
and there is no plumbing in that part of the house :(  anyone ever used those sink drain pumps?

http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Pumps-404-Residential-Drain/dp/B001DEOFLW

I have one in my fish room for the sink because it is too low for natural slope.  Mines a different model but works good and is quieter then I expected.

Only issue I have had is that the output is T'd in after the P trap of the washer drain. If I use the sink with the  faucet or pour a bucket of water in it works fine. But I have my 40g qt tank set that I can open a 1.5" drain in the tank and drain it to this sump as well. First time i opened the valve wide open the pump was filling so quickly it went to rapid fire mode. This seemed to over power the gravity section of the drain and water started burping out of the open washer connection area. This is not the pumps fault however and I believe it was caused because part of the drain I tied into may slope up in one section.