Wood staining.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Sanding wood can ruin the wood and it won't take the stain. After its stained and dry and varnished then it needs to be sanded and revarnished.  I stain stairs and fireplaces all the time.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Sanding wood can ruin the wood and it won't take the stain. After its stained and dry and varnished then it needs to be sanded and revarnished.  I stain stairs and fireplaces all the time.

Flazky

Website Affiliate
Website
krakensreef.com
reeffreak link said:

I do not think that is quite correct because you should be sanding the wood down to a smooth finish and then apply the varnish. Depending on the number of layers you want to varnish and poly, you should be sanding between each layer and sand down the final layer as well.

Flazky

Website Affiliate
Website
krakensreef.com
reeffreak link said:

I do not think that is quite correct because you should be sanding the wood down to a smooth finish and then apply the varnish. Depending on the number of layers you want to varnish and poly, you should be sanding between each layer and sand down the final layer as well.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I've done 100s of fireplaces and stairwells. We match the colour of stain the the hardwood floors. The wood is already smooth when we apply the stain at the beginning, it's dusted off and then stained, sanding after this would be pointless you would be removing the stain. After this it's dusted off again and varnished is applied. Next step it gets sanded smooth, dusted and varnished again. That's it.  We do all types of wood.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I've done 100s of fireplaces and stairwells. We match the colour of stain the the hardwood floors. The wood is already smooth when we apply the stain at the beginning, it's dusted off and then stained, sanding after this would be pointless you would be removing the stain. After this it's dusted off again and varnished is applied. Next step it gets sanded smooth, dusted and varnished again. That's it.  We do all types of wood.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Flazky link said:
[quote author=reeffreak link=topic=4808.msg54447#msg54447 date=1372156709]

[/quote] i been doin new mennonite furniture for 10 years.  We get table chairs everything from elmira. As sand them smooth. Then stain and then spray then sand and spray with 2 final,coats ..we do maple,oak,pine,ash

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Flazky link said:
[quote author=reeffreak link=topic=4808.msg54447#msg54447 date=1372156709]

[/quote] i been doin new mennonite furniture for 10 years.  We get table chairs everything from elmira. As sand them smooth. Then stain and then spray then sand and spray with 2 final,coats ..we do maple,oak,pine,ash