Would one of my fish have killed a bloodshrimp?

MrHermit85

Picked up a bloodshrimp a few days back l, drip acclimated him for an hour slowly. He was great for 4 days, would come out and eat, he even would come out and grab food from my tweezers and then this morning he was dead as a doornail. The reason I ask whether it could have been one of my fish is because he died the day after he took up residence in my foxfaces cave plus my sixline sleeps there too and he is a real bully. Could one of them have done the deed? Is it possible that a shrimp would be so active for days and then just peg it?

It's quite upsetting as it's the first fatality I have had in m tank.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, their molting looks just like a shrimp, you may see him i a day as they stay hidden for a bit while their shell reforms. Or, if it was the poor little fella, I can not see the fish you listed bugging him. A full list of fish/inverts would be great.

MrHermit85

I thought it could be molting as I read how the shells look after molting. Whatever it was that I flushed it was dead as it's feelers just broke off... Maybe he will come out  :(.

I have a foxface, wrasse (McCoskers flasher) a pair of clowns and 5 lemon chromis and that's it other than mexican turbos and other snails. Oh yeah and a yellow watchmen goby.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Ya, I can not see any of those hurting your shrimp for any reason. Most likely was just a molt. Bloodshrimp are not as see through as cleaner, peppermint, or boxer, so you would not see the innards really. I would give it a day and you will probably see him again.

The feelers always break off when I remove the molt from my boxer.

MrHermit85

Torx link said:
Ya, I can not see any of those hurting your shrimp for any reason. Most likely was just a molt. Bloodshrimp are not as see through as cleaner, peppermint, or boxer, so you would not see the innards really. I would give it a day and you will probably see him again.

The feelers always break off when I remove the molt from my boxer.

That is comforting! I hope he just molted.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Yup gives them time to get their shells hard again.. Weird how u can't find it tho.. They are pretty big..

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
It's in there, give it a day or 2, after molting they are extremely vulnerable, it can hide behind a toothpick and you wouldn't see it. :)

blaked

After molting they are like a living glob of jelly... If by chance its stressed or sick it probably will die while in molt .
Also fish literaly can smell or " taste " a invert in molt .  I've see fish show no agressive traits to my coral banded shrimp , when molted in his cave  hawk fish went nuts to get at him.

Same thing in my friends tank with 5 blood shrimp...
Slowly got tore up ... While his skunk cleaners can get in very tight to rocks to molt n still has them years later.

MrHermit85

blaked link said:
After molting they are like a living glob of jelly... If by chance its stressed or sick it probably will die while in molt .
Also fish literaly can smell or \" taste \" a invert in molt .  I've see fish show no agressive traits to my coral banded shrimp , when molted in his cave  hawk fish went nuts to get at him.

Same thing in my friends tank with 5 blood shrimp...
Slowly got tore up ... While his skunk cleaners can get in very tight to rocks to molt n still has them years later.

I honestly think the little guy is a gonner as my wrasse was having at the body/shell when I found it in the cave where my wrasse and foxface sleep. I can only assume that that's what happened as the shrimp was fine from day 1, he was moving around, eating and exploring at night. Plus I tested all the usual things like nitrates, PH, salinity and phosphates and all were good. I think I will will hang back on any shrimp in the future just in case. First loss and I don't plan on having another.

blaked

Lets hope you will see him yet ! It Can take a week for him to pop back out.
Also a little iodine helps build invert shells.

If u seen the fish eating something that look like a shrimp net it out n see if its a shell or actual bodie to be certain .

blaked

Sounds like you might b lucky n just got the exoskelton . If it was the shrimp u might have a un recognizable pile of colord jelly in the net....
When u pulled out the "body" was it hollow n split down the middle ?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
No eyes is another key sign... They dont molt those, they keep em