Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
WP vs MP

MP Site listed Features:

- low-profile
- broad flow
- pumps for aquariums ranging from 2.5 gallons to 1,000+ gallons (9.5 to 3,800+ liters)
- Industry-leading customer service.
- positioned where it is least visible.
- External motor mounting means less heat in the water.
- advanced brushless motor design reduces electricity consumption.
- Completely Safe No electrical components ever touch the water.
- Versatile Flow Rates Adjustable flow rates provide more control for your unique ecosystem.
- Quick Cleanup Wet-side cleaning is a breeze.
- Wireless Capability - The  MPw ES comes equipped with the EcoTech RF wireless module pre-installed. The current wireless capability of EcoTech products allows communication between ”w” enabled EcoTech products. Communication allows for advanced modes and features in which synchronized flow or coordinated flow and lighting conditions can be created. In addition to exciting modes such as Wave Auto Tune and the EcoSmart multi-pump modes, the wireless range of the EcoSmart wirelessly enabled drivers is significant. This allows for the controllers of slave pumps to be located further from sight or even in separate locations.
- Battery Backup - One EcoTech Marine Battery Backup will power one MP10wES or MP10ES for up to 72 hours.
- EcoSmart ™ Live With the ReefLink in place, you can now control your Radion LED lights through a web browser. And soon you will be able to control your new or existing VorTech propeller pumps, too. But that’s just the start.
- ReefLink ReefLink is a wireless bridge that seamlessly integrates your Radion with the web-based EcoSmart Live platform to provide complete custom control over your aquarium lighting.

WP Features basically none of the above.

Site listed Features for the WP:

- Easy installation and maintenance
- Fixed with magnetic 
- Direction of wave can arbitrary rotation 360degrees
- High performance powerful water flow and low energy consumption.
- Adopt wear-proof ceramic shaft can be used for a longer time.
- Intelligent controlling system, can convert various wave patterns.
- Low voltage operation, safe and reliable.
- Suitable for fresh water and marine water.

I have run both companies products being 2 MP10's and 2 WP25's. Without a doubt, the VorTech ™ MPs are by far a superior product over the WP product line when it comes to functionality, control, and technology. The MP have battery backup, wireless conductivity, and computer software to control them along with other electronics in your tank. As well as unlimited options to control the water flow with manual settings or let them work together to create the ultimate water flow pattern on their own. The units I used do not compare in flow rates as the Jebao WP25 is 3,000 - 13,000L/h and the VorTech MP10 is 750 – 6,000L/h, so comparing that for me is not appropriate. The WP line is simply a basic circulation pump ... like all the others on the market, with a basic controller and minimal options. I personally have no idea how VorTech feels this is a patent infringement issue with all the other ones that are on the market already. But I am not looking to start that debate. However me not seeing the difference personally could be related to why I probably have not heard anything more on this potential suit while the pump is still being manufactured and sold world wide. People will decide what they are willing to sacrifice for price. I personally prefer the WP25 in my 120gallon long tank for several of my own reasons. When I first started up the WP25's, I only really needed one for flow, but I run 2 to have amazing flow and a controllable wave. (I can not imagine or recommend ever putting a wp25 in a smaller tank, it simply would move too much water. There are options to run the pump at a lower speed, however only a few options on the controller to use the WP with less flow.) I also prefer the motor in the tank. Heat is not an issue with me and I find that my heaters turn on even in the summer, so the added heat is welcome in my tank. Also the motor in the tank runs quieter which is an issue as my tank is only a few feet from my bedroom. I found that the MP whining up and down became bothersome to listen to on quiet nights when the A/C is not running. I also prefer the ability to control the direction of the WP. There is a 360 degree cradle that allows you to point it in any direction I wish as apposed to the MP that is fixed against the glass.

Long story short. The WP is has no where near the quality and technological advancements the MP does and by far the MP is a better product and I would recommend the Vortech MP's before the Jabeo WP if price is less of an issue. But for people like me who can not really afford the $1000 for 2 MP40’s, the Jebao WP is an acceptable, useful and affordable second option. 

(Videos to come)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I'm running the wp40 in a 90g and while it's not a vortec it really makes u wonder how ecotech can get away with the ridiculous overcharging for their pumps.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
vortech make the noisiest pumps in the world.  Now that I have one, I can honestly say it's the noisiest sumbitch EVER.    No, EVER. 

Seriously though, an mp10 is 3x louder than my wavebox, no lie.  even at 75% it's the loudest piece of equipment on the tank.  Moves water pretty good, but with that MONSTER hermit in there just tearing up the place, I can't see anything in there for about 2 days lol. 

...and yes I did all the tips to make it quieter, it's not awful, I'm just saying, the wp I had briefly was definitely quieter than this 10. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
pulpfiction1 link said:
wow,glad i didnt buy them  lol

Don't get me wrong, it works great, I got a good deal on it.. but because the motor is not in the water it's noisy.  If it was underwater it likely would be silent.  I'll give it that.  I like the blinky lights on the controller. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Plug and play link said:
I just ordered a wp40 for my 70g is it going to be too much?

There are a few intensity settings that you can turn down the pump from the controller. A WP-25 is probably all you would have needed. If you find it is still to strong, or you want to turn the pump up so that you can have more control. They make a variable power supply that turns down the power to the pump. 12V to 24V Power Supply for Jebao WP-60 /WP-40 /WP-25 Replacement Pump. I do not know much about the power supply though as I do not have one.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
the WP-40 i just bought on Thursday is currently running in my 75 to see the difference.
on its lowest setting there is a more than adequate flow,one WP-25 generated a 1" wave on W1 but i had it maxed out on high flow when i used it,the 40 is twice the size of the 25

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Plug and play link said:
I have 2 25's in my 90, I can't run them full without either blowing up a sand storm or pushing water over the top of the tank. I control mine with my apex and run them 80% max. I think the 40 might be a bit much if you can't limit its max.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Plug and play link said:

I have 2 wp-40s in a 90 and it's pretty high flow, sand blew around for a few days, it's all Barebottom at the front of my tank.. Which is OK for me.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Plug and play link said:

I run 2 wp40 on my 75 ... At first I thought it was to much, but I used the same settings duke is using and it's perfect amount. If I ever upgrade I can still use these.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
To keep some information together on these...

I just spend the other day really digging and this is what I found in regards to peoples legal safety concerns on these.

The pumps and controller do not need to be CSA approved as they run at less the 100v per OESC Rule 2-022(3) (c) specifies some exceptions (being: Class I hazardous locations are those in which vapours or gases may be present and Class II hazardous locations are those in which dust may be suspended in the air to the extent that explosive concentrations may be present) to electrical product approval requirements. Electrical equipment does not require approval if it connected to the load side of an approved Class 2 power supply whose power output does not exceed 100 V, (thanks to a fellow TFT member who posted info on another forum), either way, the pumps are CE approved.

The power source on the other hand is where the legal concern rises. The power source IS c UL US approved and c UL US is certified for use in Canada. (http://www.ul.com/canada/eng/pages/aboutus/). Jebao (jebao.com) is a major manufacture of pond and aquarium pumps. They have been around for over a decade and are the MAG drive pump of China, if you may.

BUT If you are really concerned with the CSA stamp you should also probably get rid of any wavelive/speedwave/diablo dc pumps, as well as, CADLights pumps are not certified from what I have read thus far.

So the only thing really remaining in question is if you want to use their legally branded c UL US power source, if you are worried about that, then you can get a CSA one and still be spending a fraction of the cost of a vortec product. That is of course if you can even find one on the market listed as CSA approved as my brand new Alienware 17 laptop from Dell came with a power source that is not labeled CSA approved, as well as all of my name brand external hard drives, Dlink router, wireless phone, canon video camera, Bell HD reciever, Samsung 46" LCD TV...etc etc, all not listed as CSA approved, only c UL US approved.

Link to Jebao's power source certification: (Source)

I am still waiting on information about the variable power supply. If someone has one and can send me a pic of the safety stamps or info from the unit itself, it would be appreciated.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
This is the list of approved marks, I'm sure your laptop has one of them.
http://www.esasafe.com/electricalproducts/marks

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Pistol link said:
This is the list of approved marks, I'm sure your laptop has one of them.
http://www.esasafe.com/electricalproducts/marks

Oh it has about 30 different ones, but not CSA lol. I was merely pointing out that those common household things were not "CSA" approved either. I know a lot of people will say "just because they meet safety standards does not mean they are safe". That is true, but the same goes with every other companies product out there. These things are as safe as the next brand. They will have issues just like every other brand out there. Hell, Razor meets those standards and how many of them melted and/or caught fire?

IMHO ... The safety scares on these pumps were just led by big name people trying to scare hobbiests away from what is obviously a better deal. I mean, you can imagine that the big names are being 'taken care of' when they want a new pump or light from a company, so most the big sites will push away from these new pumps. Do not get me wrong, I am all for supporting NA businesses, even if it costs more (to a point) but when the difference is almost 10x as much for the same product, that is just too much even for me.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I wasn't criticizing you, CSA or any of the marks only have a legal implication they don't really mean that the product is safe, only that the government got its cut and this seems to make the insurance companies happy to. Companies like GE produce products like toasters the catch fire and or electrocute people everyday and they are CSA approved. Still just about every product sold in ontario has to be approved. It's turned into a cash grab.