Wrasse Identification Help

skybreezy

Ok wifey brought home a wrasse ;) from Steve at living aquarium. But she didn't get areceipt which would tell me what kind of species this wrasse is. So now I'm stuck googling wrasse species pics. The pic attached does nothing to help me cause mr or mrs wrasse is stressed out now . I thought he or her was dead in the bag when wifey got home. Steve says it's normal behaviour. I hope so ! ;). Well here goes description from wifey. Purple belly yellow fins can't remember the head colour but remembers that Steve said head colour determines the sex Orange is female red is male. Wifey said he was very flashy until steve put him in the bag. Can anybody identify my wrasse and more importantly assure me that this is normal behaviour for a wrasse. He or she hasn't move from that spot in the pic since we put him in after an hour of acclimation. He's been there now in that same spot for 40 minutes A quick call to Steve tommorow will solve the species identification just thought it would be cool to get your thoughts Thx y'all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 86

heath

Distinguished Member
what did she pay for him, I think its a fairy wrasse of some species, check out live aquarium they have over 40 different ones listed, maybe a yellow finned fairy wrasse...the more common ones are a bit cheaper...it will be interesting to see his colour when he relaxes..

skybreezy

what did she pay for him, I think its a fairy wrasse of some species, check out live aquarium they have over 40 different ones listed, maybe a yellow finned fairy wrasse...the more common ones are a bit cheaper...it will be interesting to see his colour when he relaxes..
45 bucks

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Nice fish im on my 4th and 5th wrasse and all of them do that (look dead/hide) he or she will come around don't stress him or her out and leave the light off for a bit and feed shrimp and if that dosent work use some garlic guard to soak in , once they adapt to the new surroundings he or she will be flashing in no time ! ( tbh haven't seen that kind before looks awesome )! Congrats

skybreezy

Nice fish im on my 4th and 5th wrasse and all of them do that (look dead/hide) he or she will come around don't stress him or her out and leave the light off for a bit and feed shrimp and if that dosent work use some garlic guard to soak in , once they adapt to the new surroundings he or she will be flashing in no time ! ( tbh haven't seen that kind before looks awesome )! Congrats
Thx Luke. Apparently the way he looks now is nothing like way he looked at the store . Can't wait too see his true colors. Thx again. What type do u have? All 4 get along peacefully?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Well I don't have 4 atm I had 2 but I tried to set up a tank to put them in before my main display tank. for the 1st and 2nd wrasses 1 was solar fairy wrasse and 1 other type of fairy wrasse the one didn't make past a week in the hospital tank, and the other one didn't make it past a month , wrasses are tough like that they can take a bad swing sometimes at 1st,

So 2nd time around i took a big big chance and said f it , I bought 2 new wrasses ones that would benifit my corals and tank so I got a full grown hoevens wrasse and a yellow wrasse beautiful fish I wouldn't trade for the world and they are over 5 months old now with no issues (sometimes my hoevens wrasse will eat to much because he snatches the food before anyone else dose then he's stuck on the sand and can't swim LOL) and with these 2 fish I took a big chance at just dropped them and put them in my tank and tank God had no ich
(The pic below the fairy wrasse that died with the solar wrasse that I couldn't remember the name of so here's a pic of him, and as you can see he's got something over him and when I treated him he didn't make it much longer)
image.jpg

skybreezy

Beautiful fish.
Well I don't have 4 atm I had 2 but I tried to set up a tank to put them in before my main display tank. for the 1st and 2nd wrasses 1 was solar fairy wrasse and 1 other type of fairy wrasse the one didn't make past a week in the hospital tank, and the other one didn't make it past a month , wrasses are tough like that they can take a bad swing sometimes at 1st,

So 2nd time around i took a big big chance and said f it , I bought 2 new wrasses ones that would benifit my corals and tank so I got a full grown hoevens wrasse and a yellow wrasse beautiful fish I wouldn't trade for the world and they are over 5 months old now with no issues (sometimes my hoevens wrasse will eat to much because he snatches the food before anyone else dose then he's stuck on the sand and can't swim LOL) and with these 2 fish I took a big chance at just dropped them and put them in my tank and tank God had no ich
(The pic below the fairy wrasse that died with the solar wrasse that I couldn't remember the name of so here's a pic of him, and as you can see he's got something over him and when I treated him he didn't make it much longer)View attachment 5794

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Yes I wish they were still here .. I love my hoevens wrasse because I wanted a 6 line but they are real nasty , and very hard to catch so a hoevens is close enough lol but he loves knocking corals off -.- crappy pic but he's a fast one to snap a pic of
image.jpg

skybreezy

So talked to Steve at living aquarium today says our new fish is from the flasher wrasse species so that narrows down the search to a few hundreds or more lol. a Purple body yellow fins and red or orange head will determine the sex Also says 3 to 4 days and him and his beautiful color will show. :)

Last edited:

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
So talked to Steve at living aquarium today says our new fish is from the flasher wrasse species so that narrows down the search to a few hundreds or more lol. a Purple body yellow fins and red or orange head will determine the sex Also says 3 to 4 days and him and his beautiful color will show. :)
Steve didn't say what type...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skybreezy

Tommorow will be day 7. Wrasse last seen on day 3. While still hiding still in between some rocks. Nope he didn't jump out our tank is wrapped with a nice canopy. What could mr or mrs wrasse be doing ? We thought at least he would appear during dinner time but nope !