Wrasse Taking A Dirt Nap

ThePaliga

So yesterday, I picked myself up a Green Wrasse (Thank you ReefDiver). Got him home, did the 2 hour acclimation, and then boom, in the tank he goes. 10 minutes later, he's gone. Well I understand that they sleep under the sand, which is all well and fine, but how long until he decides to get up? Lights have been on for almost 1/2 hour and he is no where to be seen. Wait it out, or start digging?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
It may take up to a couple of weeks until he is ready to join the community depending on the other fish in the tank and his size. Individuals vary so he could be out and about in a couple of days or you may just catch quick glimpses of him before he dives back into the sand. Always the possibility that he didn't make it through acclimation (unfortunately part of the game with SW fish) however digging will only make matters worse and increase stress on the new fish and the existing population. Once he's ready he'll come out and if he dies in the sandbed the fauna there will quickly consume the remains....

Especially when you have new wrasses, having a mesh cover on the tank for a bit can be a good insurance policy or keep an eye on the floor around the tank if you have any inhabitants that like to chase new arrivals.

ThePaliga

Definitely covered the jumper base as soon as I decided to get a wrasse... But do they at least come out of the sand to feed? Like I'm not sure how it can go that long without food, especially after a stressful ride like he just had.

I know all I want to do is eat after a 4 hour road trip :p

OrcaSB

I'm curious why such a long acclimation? I've been importing fish for years directly from Indo, Philippines, Red Sea etc. where they are in transit for 24 hours or more. My acclimation time is between a half hour and 45 minutes max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thehvacman

I've owned many wrasses and the length of time the fish takes in the sand after being added is different every time. Sometimes they take a day and sometimes they take a week, it is very important that you don't go digging for it as that will most certainly stress out everything. If the fish is hungry it will come out, just give it time. Alot of wrasses will be out and when you approach the tank they will dive back in the sand so they will miss the feed. I would set up a feeder to feed the tank when your not around at least until get gets used to you approaching the tank. Good luck.

ThePaliga

I'm curious why such a long acclimation? I've been importing fish for years directly from Indo, Philippines, Red Sea etc. where they are in transit for 24 hours or more. My acclimation time is between a half hour and 45 minutes max.

I started with the long acclamations after I was a little two hasty on my first reef tank years ago... got excited, bought 4 fish and a shrimp... long story short, a damsel was the only thing to survive. Since then, it's been almost OCD... just need the nice and slow lol

I've owned many wrasses and the length of time the fish takes in the sand after being added is different every time. Sometimes they take a day and sometimes they take a week, it is very important that you don't go digging for it as that will most certainly stress out everything. If the fish is hungry it will come out, just give it time. Alot of wrasses will be out and when you approach the tank they will dive back in the sand so they will miss the feed. I would set up a feeder to feed the tank when your not around at least until get gets used to you approaching the tank. Good luck.

Set up a feeder? Like one of those battery operated flake feeding things? Please elaborate if you don't mind...

Albz

I feel the same way with my purple firefish goby i just got! Got him yeterday and hes still under the rocks lol havent seen him at all... I wish he comes out soon!!!

Albz

My main concern is how to entice him out so he can eat. I hate spending money just so he can die because hes camera shy

Im sure he will come out when hes hungry lol.. When i got my watchman goby he was hiding for like 2 days i started to panic and than after two days i fed my fish and he came out flyin grabing food lol...

thehvacman

My main concern is how to entice him out so he can eat. I hate spending money just so he can die because hes camera shy
You don't need to entice him out. He will come out when he is ready. Wasses feed on lots of natural things in your tank, like worms and pods so if you have live rock it will get food. Keeping a wasse healthy without natural food is hard as most have the natural instinct to hide and don't associate us with food. One of my yellowtailed coris wasses still dives in the sand every time I walk up on my tank and the second one hides in the rocks but doesn't dive in the sand unless I put my hand in the water. A battery operated feeder with flakes or pellets will see that food is in the water when the fish may be out, if not your other fish will eat it. I like to sneak up on my tank and watch the wasses hunt worms, flipping rocks and shells. It does take along time before they feel comfortable as a lot of these wrasses are held in bare bottom systems before they are sold and are pretty stressed. Give it time.

ThePaliga

I am happy to report that the newest addition to my tank has decided to grace me with his appearance. Just figured I'd show everybody who I was worried about :p
Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 3.18.10 PM.png

heath

Distinguished Member

It always take me a good couple of hours to acclimate a fish...first he bobs around in the tank for temp then I start a very slow drip...I must have OCD too...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This pic doesn't show the true colors. There was about to be a fight over who gets him if you passed on grabbing him up lol. He had the most amazing Neon yellow green color.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

ThePaliga

Agreed... with a little blue in the tail as well... I think he's still pretty stressed. Gotta get acclimated to the new tank and surroundings before he gets his full colour on

OrcaSB

It always take me a good couple of hours to acclimate a fish...first he bobs around in the tank for temp then I start a very slow drip...I must have OCD too...

Clearly this method works well for you both. We have experimented with a lot of different methods of acclimation over the years. Over time we have found that shorter acclimation times leads to less losses. I just received a large order this past Friday that we're in transit over night and had them in the tanks within 45 minutes. No losses and they all look great. The differences in the water temp and chemistry are much greater with the fish I'm importing as well compared to the fish that you would be picking up locally. However, if it works for you I certainly wouldn't change things.