Wrasses With Wrasses

Cliff

I had a Christmas and a melinoris wrasse Together they fought so much that eventually they ended up splashing one of my ai hydra lights and blew the board in it so that cost me $250. Then the melinoris beat up the Christmas so much that he hid in the overflow constantly; then died from being sucked down the drain pipe.
After this I will not try another wrasse pair.
But maybe my experience if unique? Idk

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
I had a Christmas and a melinoris wrasse Together they fought so much that eventually they ended up splashing one of my ai hydra lights and blew the board in it so that cost me $250. Then the melinoris beat up the Christmas so much that he hid in the overflow constantly; then died from being sucked down the drain pipe.
After this I will not try another wrasse pair.
But maybe my experience if unique? Idk
Yikes!

Zack

Luke.

Distinguished Member
You can have wrasses together but I hate to say it the only way is adding them all in at once , (giving that they generally get along together) and 6 lines are nasty buggers lol aggressive you could have 10 wrasses but if you don't add them at ones youres sol lol

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
You can have wrasses together but I hate to say it the only way is adding them all in at once , (giving that they generally get along together) and 6 lines are nasty buggers lol aggressive you could have 10 wrasses but if you don't add them at ones youres sol lol
Darn, he's pretty passive with my anthias, dwarf lion and clown just wasn't sure with another wrasse. What about him with a Royal gramma?

Zack

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
certain wrasse can be dicks. Typical suspects are:
6 line
Melanurus
8 line (not as bad as 6line)

If you want to add wrasse to the tank I would take the 6 line out and add the new one, then add the 6 line back in. The wrasse listed above should be the last ones to add and should be much smaller then the wrasse already in the system.

Hope that helps

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
That is good advice, following in that vein, unless the tank is very large, don't mix large wrasses with any of the pygmy, possum or dwarf varieties. Even if the large wrasse is passive, their similar swimming style seems to scare the others. I had a very peaceful 2-spot wrasse that all the small wrasses were terrified of. I also had the same problem mixing a larger fairy wrasse with the wetmorellas. A year ago and a half ago a newly introduced dime-sized sixline killed every other fish in my tank (including two wetmorellas) and all the shrimp. I now only keep one as the only inhabitant of my frag tank.