Your Thoughts

Kjay

Ok so here is my situation I have 100 gallon tank corner drilled dual drain gate valve to adjust reef oct 150 skimmer dual sock over flow bare bottom fuge and jebao dc 8000 pump all is running well tank cycling. What equipment is a must have to you guys to further my project. I would like to try some sps also

What extras can you not live without thank you. Stand still needs paint on trim
f281ed2f359046101811ecec72e4483e.jpg

Joshbrookkate

You have done so much to this tank, Kevin! Looking good!
Do you have GFO and Carbon reactors?
Dosers?
RODI system?
What powerheads do you have?
And I would research every new intended purchase to make sure it is Apex compatible. Because you're going to want one in the future! Lol

Michelle

Joshbrookkate

If you're going with SPS, dosers are a want, yes, but will make your tank more stable. I would want that. Something to put on the list as they come available used, perhaps?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I pointed it out as a want as it's not a need and if you're trying to get started its one less expensive piece that you'll have to purchase off the bat.

Also it's not needed at the beginning stages of an sps system.

I'm a firm believer that with all newer systems that the doser gives the hobbyist a false sense and allows them to not test water as frequently as they should. During the beginning stages of any reef tank. The demand for Alk, CA and mag will fluctuate greatly due to a young system, corals adjusting and the hobbyist adjusting to a new cleaning routine.

I see too often in this hobby that people mistake a needed piece of equipment, over a wanted piece.

In reality. You can run a tank with just the bare essentials. We just get hung up on new gadgets that we feel we need

Sony Xperia Z3

Joshbrookkate

you are right, Eric. I'm one if those reefers who likes to gather the stuff used if I can. So I keep a running want/need list going so I have done the research and am ready to buy if something comes up. Lol

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
you are right, Eric. I'm one if those reefers who likes to gather the stuff used if I can. So I keep a running want/need list going so I have done the research and am ready to buy if something comes up. Lol
That's a good way to collect equipment. Especially used stuff.

But too many times newer hobbyists are given wrong advice about what's really needed for a successful reef tank. And end up buying too much. Which drains their funds and doesn't allow for important things like quality test kits, quality lights and such.

Sony Xperia Z3

heath

Distinguished Member
I agree with Eric, but sometimes we as reefers get wrapped up in the gadgets and rely on them to much and instead of doing our testing and so forth...I believe in the KISS theory, keep it simple stupid...

Kman

Super Active Member
If you are new to the hobby people should not get a doser. You need to get experience of what your corals use or need and how they act in your tank, the best way of achieving that is by doing and not by relying on technology. To many new people in this hobby think technology is the magical fix for everything because it is more convenient then manually doing something. Ironically a lot of issues they run into is cause by them not understanding their tanks needs and over reliance on technology. They actually cause a lot off issues that could have been avoided because they chase numbers that they think they should have. They don't realize there is no set number but a range of numbers that factors into your tanks health and each persons tank acts differently. If you take two people in this hobby that are new, one that manually does things and one that rely's on technology. The person that did things manually for the first few years understands the feel of their system better and understands the cycle of the tank better then the one that rely's on tech. They end up being a better reefer in the end because they got experience by doing. The best way to learn your tank needs and consumption rates is manually doing it. By actually paying attention to what your tank looks like and what it is telling you. Instead of relying on technology that can give you a false sense of reassurance. When they fail it causes more problems then it would have if you had done it manually and it complicates troubleshooting. Nothing beats manually in the end, manually is just not as convenient as the toys but simplifies troubleshooting and issues.

Week to week corals grow at different rates so if you are not constantly adjusting your dose rates you run into an overdose situation quite quickly and easily. To be honest sps tanks don't need technology to help keep up with their needs unless you have a very packed tank with large mature SPS colonies. Most cases unless you are away all the time or have extremely heavy dosing needs because of a lot of large corals, manually keeps up no problem with the needs of your tank. Especially in the first year your tank is set up.

With that being said once you have experience in keeping corals and have learned how to troubleshoot your tank issues, technology can make things easier because it is one less thing to have to do for your tank. But in the end I still do all my manual checks and needs daily. After all is your tank not supposed to be looked at and enjoyed?

This is the true basic hardware needs list for a reef tank. Tank, Lights, Pumps (powerhead or other means to move water), heater and skimmer (if you are new). Pretty much anything else is a want as you can have a thriving reef tank with the bare minimum of hardware in that list. Even the skimmer is not needed in every situation. It depends on how your tank is set up, what you are keeping and how much experience you have.

I myself recommend to people they should keep the tank simple hardware wise and manually do things for at least 5 years with 10 years being better still. Even at 5 years people are new to the hobby and don't fully understand the complexity of what is actually going on in your tank for quite a lot of cases. People have just enough experience at this level to be comfortable and pretty knowledgeable in what they are doing, but know just enough to be dangerous. Not implying that someone that has less experience is not doing a good job or has a successful tank. Just saying some things need time and experience to truly get good at.

If you really need something hardware wise outside my list the best hardware for stable conditions is an ATO. That will have the greatest impact on your tank for maintaining stability. Keep in mind before you buy hardware. The more you have the more things you have that can cause problems and fail. It is not a matter of if it will but when it will fail.

Joshbrookkate

And Kevin can attest to the fact that I'm one of those people, Heather! I really should not give new reefers advice about what to buy! Lol

heath

Distinguished Member
all we are trying to do if offer advise to new reefers, I was told by a very experienced reefer to go with your gut or get a mentor, what works on my tanks might and probly won't work on anyone else's tank...personally all I run is a skimmer heater and light, I do use socks on my returns but, I do a lot of water testing and good size water changes as well...

Joshbrookkate

And I should have kept my comments between Kevin and me. We chat a lot about our tanks and what equipment we use and want.
I do not want to steer anyone in the wrong direction. I so appreciate getting advice from you other more experienced reefers.

Michelle

Kjay

I have 2 nanos I have been very successful with I started building this tank in June researching more and more to do it right the first time I still check my ammonia and nitrates in my nanos just cause I enjoy it. I have 3 Chinese led boxes over this tank I have jebao rw8 x2 dual brs reactor rodi system a single reactor. Red Sea kits refractometer, Hanna phos Hanna alk. My pist merely is to see things that some of you guys could live without in your systems I should have been more clear sorry. I appreciate al the replies