Zeovit Sponge Power And Amino Acid Lps

Nick James

I was looking at trying sponge power and amino acid LPS from Zeovit. Not looking to run a Zeovit system on my Biocube but from what I read sponge power will increase the activity/size of sponges which will help lower nitrate/ phosphates. Anyone have experience with this product?

The amino LPS I just thought would be a good quality food for my corals. Thanks for any input.

I also thought of mixing up some DIY coral snow to use once in while....
icon_smile.gif

Kman

Super Active Member
I myself am not a fan of using a lot of products in my reef so I keep things basic. If you are feeding your corals with products like reef roids or blowing off your rocks and sand so detritus goes into the water to be filtered out. More then likely the sponges are getting enough particulate matter to feed them. I found any time I tried a Zeovit product the only difference I noticed was my cash being wasted on a product I didn't see doing anything so I stopped using them. Really the only thing that will make the sponges grow is available food and time. It takes time for sponges to become established and grow so be patient and they will come. I also find those amino acids cause algae blooms any time I used them and I noticed nothing different in my corals. So I myself don't ever use them.

Kyle1970

I have seen many great tanks that people attribute to additives (like amino acids, and zeo products). BUT with such a small tank, your water chemistry can change in a blink of an eye. 1 extra drop of additive can leave you struggling for months trying to get an algae bloom under control.
My thoughts with small tanks is always to keep up on water changes with good quality salt.
Keep in mind as well that any additives you put in, you need to be able to test for and monitor levels.
Just like @Kman said above, TIME and consistency will give you what you're looking for.

Nick James

I myself am not a fan of using a lot of products in my reef so I keep things basic. If you are feeding your corals with products like reef roids or blowing off your rocks and sand so detritus goes into the water to be filtered out. More then likely the sponges are getting enough particulate matter to feed them. I found any time I tried a Zeovit product the only difference I noticed was my cash being wasted on a product I didn't see doing anything so I stopped using them. Really the only thing that will make the sponges grow is available food and time. It takes time for sponges to become established and grow so be patient and they will come. I also find those amino acids cause algae blooms any time I used them and I noticed nothing different in my corals. So I myself don't ever use them.

This is the input I was looking for. I haven't had any issues with algae yet so I certainly don't want to start. I have noticed a fair amount of sponge growth without the product so I might not see much of a difference with it. I have religiously changed my water every Sunday and I am hoping it will keep me going in the right direction ie. Clean tank, lower nutrients. I do blow my rocks off every other night before I feed my corals and more thoroughly right before a water change, sucking larger particles up with a turkey baster.

Anyways, glad to have some input on your use of the amino acid product. Sounds like I can do without.

Kman

Super Active Member
I am not saying the products don't work they do for some people in certain situations. But they are not needed for most people in my opinion as your tank will have plenty of food without adding them. I keep my tank additions simple as I like to control the input into my tank and keep my output high. The only products I use on a regular basis are Kalkwasser, buffer 8.4 by brightwells, Prime and Mag. I do use the occasional food like Reef Roids as a treat and to vary the diet of my corals but I really limit its usage as those products are very nutrient dense and accumulate quickly in a tank. If you are running a ULNS these type of products can help but if you are not they can lead to trouble. So it really depends on your situation.

If you have a productive refugium with macro algae and areas of low light that help foster cryptic loving creatures like sponges, this will provide the nutritious live food for your fish and corals and help filter your water. Most people don't need to rely on most of the products around for a healthy thriving reef. Especially if you are doing your water changes regularly like you are.

Take the amino LPS, what are the chances that only LPS use the amino for that product? Not very likely. Other things like algae will use them as well to fuel growth. Like Kyle1970 said in a small tank a little goes a long way. So if for any reason your usage rates change and you are using that type of product you could run into trouble very quickly in smaller systems. If you have growth issues you can always get products like that and use it as a treat but I would not recommend using the amino products on a regular basis unless it is needed like for a ULNS and the corals are obviously showing signs of color loss.

I myself don't like to waste money on products I don't need just because manufactures created new products to sell to me that they say I need. Forget that.