Zoanthids Shrinking!!!??

CrownEye

Hi ,

I recently added skimmer to my 8gallon nano tank and changed chemipure blue to system..

All of sudden Zoanthids started shrinking (not completely closed) but became smaller in size and looks dull...

I do 1gallon water change every week..

What may be the reason for this?

Skimmer?
Chemipure blue?

Do I need to dose anything?

Canadianeh

I wonder if your skimmer removed to much nutrients from the water itself since I believe they were doing great before skimmer was added.

I thought you have been using Chemipure Blue even before the skimmer was added?

I would perform tests to see if you need to dose. I started to use 2 part dosing.

Albz

Maybe they are stressed... zoas are very hardy.. mine do that sometimes too. Just leave them alone and dont touch them and you should be fine... if it they seem worse dip them...

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Changes in Light settings, salinity or temp can cause them to close or curl a bit until they adjust.

I found that temp will make it shrivel

CrownEye

Temp remains constant 78F.
Light settings is also same for over 5months..

I have to check salinity.. since after adding skimmer.. I see lot of top off happening..

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
With a very small system if the skimmer removes a cup of skimate and it gets replaced with fresh top up water it will affect salinity after a bit.

FWIW my frag tank is about 25 gallons and I am using a skimmer rated for 250 gallons (all I had...) and my Zoas are growing like crazy. I have my doubts about the whole over skimming concept..... Skimmers can only remove so much no matter how big.

CrownEye

Moreover am not getting any wet skim.. my cup fills just half in a week.. I do add the half cup of saltwater to tank to compensate..

Canadianeh

but it could effect the salinity, water evaporates salt doesn't and with the tank being small it could throw it out of whack.. I would test before the top up/water change and test after...

true....because of the very small size of the tank I guess

CrownEye

Going to turn off skimmer for week and see how it goes

If it goes well, I will remove skimmer then..

Before
IMG_0470.JPG

Now

IMG_0539.JPG

CrownEye

10days skimmer turned off.. still I see 2 types Zoanthids are closed and shrinken.. they are disappearing but simply closed...

IMG_0573.JPG

CrownEye

Any suggestions?

Test readings

Salinity 1.024
Temp : 78.5F
Nitrate : 5
Ph 7.9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke.

Distinguished Member
How well are you with top off water ? Sometimes swings in a small tank like that could turn bad fast , it just looks well established I'm suprised you're having an issue , I've had some zoos melt on me in the past I my 20 gallon tank they always melted , upgraded to a 40 gallon and never had one melt before , in just wondering if doing 2 water changes a week would be better , (nitrates are a tad high and ph) but shouldn't be an issue, you said you added a slimmer and also added a new chem to the system ? Maybe that's it , at this point it's hard to say I hope it stops and they can heal up :(

CrownEye

It stopped using skimmer for 12 days and increased feeding a little.. still I don't see any progress.. I am sure there no zoa predators since there is no polyp loss...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk