Zoas Always Change To A Brown Color

bart84

Hey, I am having troubles with my zoos always changing to a browny color. I am currently running 4 36" T5HO on the tank which is a 40 gallon breeder. My bulb placement is: attinic, Color plus, 6500K, Attinic. They are all brand new. I don't know what is going on. Can someone help me pls. Thanks in advance.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
You may need a higher k light,I am using 4 24"on a 20g tall 2-actinic 1-18000 1-10000, I had 6700k an they grew hair algea like mad with lots of coral growth and dull colours,since I switched to 18000k and 10000k my algea is disappearing and my coral are getting great colours back now, same for zoas

Kman

Super Active Member
6500 K is more for plants in freshwater or caulerpa in the sump. 10,000 k is the best for coral growth but it doesn't always produce the best color. 12,000 k to 14,000 K growth does slow down a little but I find I get best color with good growth in this range. 20,000 is lots of color but slower growth.
What else do you have in the tank? If you have light loving corals 20,000 K will likely not be enough light for you. Unless you get a few more T5 tubes.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Ditch the 6500k. Aquablue special is as white as ATI bulbs get. If you like the look of your tank I suggest this bulb. I would also wonder about par, as actinic bulbs don't put out a ton. You could swap one of those for a blue plus and then you would be rocking :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bart84

Halides bro

Lol. I don't have your money lol

Ditch the 6500k. Aquablue special is as white as ATI bulbs get. If you like the look of your tank I suggest this bulb. I would also wonder about par, as actinic bulbs don't put out a ton. You could swap one of those for a blue plus and then you would be rocking :)

I could be but it kills me as I just bought the bulbs. Lol

kapelan

Ok so hear is my next question. Is it the white bulb or blue bulb that grows the coral?
That should be the first question when looking for light. This link explains it pretty good: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/media/PDF/ColorGuideSW.pdf
Basically everyone says - blue, but only blue looks ugly. for human eye we do need to add some color. So we need to find a something between good for coral and good for human.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
This is my bulb combo on my 8×80watt ati
Blue +, blue +, Actinic, Blue+,coral +, blue+, blue +, purple +.
If i had just 4 bulbs id prolly do, blue + blue + coral + purple +. Or blue +, actinic, coral +,blue +. On my last unit i ran 3 blue + and a purple + and had great growth a colour.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
@bart84
How much par are you getting with your current combo? What kind of zoos? Could be that they are not getting enough light because I don't think your current bulbs will have much par output....
Also for those running or ran the GE 6500.... A good friend of mine runs them on his sps tank, swears by them for growth (not for appearance obv) and found they need replacing twice as often as the ati otherwise algae issues....