Zoas & Lighting

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone I bought a sunny d coral yesterday and it's right stressed it took me a while to get its solidity right before he went in and I dropped him for 15 min because I had zoa eating bugs before so I waited 3 months and now I think they all died off so I have the fluval 25 wat 312 leds nice lights but wondering will they be ok enough to make them grow ? I feed reef roids 3 times a week and the sunny d I have no idea what flow it needs lighting etc, can someone help me out I've had so many weird things happen to my tank and everything's been stable 20 gallon tank with 100 gallon protein skimmer 45 gallon filter , and 20% water change a week I check for alk,phosphates, nitrates and mag and calcium and everything's where it should be and my take floats between 1.025-1.026

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Is there any algae on the rock/plug irritating it to cause it not to open?

My sunny d's stopped opening in my nano due to bryopsis around it. So I removed them after a week of not opening and performed a 3% peroxide dip on them. They're now in my frag tank all open and healing for a few weeks before I return them to the nano

I would suggest to give them at least 5-7 days without moving them to see if they come out.

Are they in high light? High water flow? Are any of your fish picking at it?
Sony Xperia Z3

Luke.

Distinguished Member
When I got i from the store it was open and 2 little heads starting to form I thought the solidity was at 1.025 i check and it was 1.19 way to low so I dripped for about 45 min and and dipped for 15 then rinsed and put it in the center closer to the glass im new to the hobby and they told me at my fish store the fluval 25 wat LEDs should be good enough I don't want to have coraks that need a lot of light just zoas elegance coraks mushrooms I have a bta for 7 months I had a poor light so I upgraded to the fluval LEDs it has good higher flow in my option but it's a 15" tank and its on the sand bed

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Nope it's not even in my tank for 24 hours I have no inverts I only have 2 clowns and a fire fish my tanks at 1.25 but the store was at 1.19 and I'm glad I checked .. Before putting it in I never drop coraks but now I'm going to check

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Ok here's a pic of it now
image.jpg

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Would I be able to see a zoa eating bug on a coral piece that small ? I'm so worried about them I bought a rock full of zoas and they all died and I caught 2 bugs and killed them and thank god I've been bug free from what I can see for 3 months , so I bought a sunny d thinking that maybe I shouldn't be worried about the bug I dipped the coral for 15 min and I seen it open that the store where I got it.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
It also seems to be a common misconception that zoas are a low light coral. Alot of zoas are collected in shallow areas that get blasted with light. But every zoa is different. But alot of my zoas love light, most of mine are on the bottom only because im.running a 8×80watt ATI fixture, so it pumps the light out lol.Itll also depend on the stores lighting aswell..if there tanks were lit with mh or t5 and your running led it may take a bit for it to adjust. But like everyone else has said if there was a SG difference itll def take a day or 2 sometimes to adjust. Hope everything works out.

Riley

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Thanks everyone and to calibrate it I'm not to sure how I put ro water on it and it reads 0 dose that mean it's good or how do you test or no when to calibrate

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Ok , would you guys try to spot feed it ( I spot feed) less waste in the tank and I like knowing that the corals are getting it all . So should I try to spot feed it if it's closed ?