10 gal no WC sumpless reef tank

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Painter Steve might have golden rod but don’t quote me on that! It’s been a long time/ I might have it mixed up with o something else. I use to buy off him or if I wanted to shop at a store I’d go to candy corals, frag box, ultra lps corals.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
@Painter Steve might have golden rod but don’t quote me on that! It’s been a long time/ I might have it mixed up with o something else. I use to buy off him or if I wanted to shop at a store I’d go to candy corals, frag box, ultra lps corals.
Yes I have been to Steve's many times over the years lol. Got a few from candy corals but they are a bit pricey for some pretty small frags and shipping sucks but had great luck. Frag garage I was really unimpressed with. One was full of flat worms and the other had red bugs. The third piece never made it out of qt. Frag box isnt bad but same as candy very pricey for small frags. Cultured by science in guelph has amazing prices and sps are usually 1.5-2"+ my nauti spiral was a 3" mini colony but I dont fully trust the names, but I never do anywhere. I just buy what I like. Coral reef shop In Burlington is pretty good too especially for acans. I have got some amazing ultra grade for low grade prices. Good dude too.

Guess I'm used to being spoiled, most my stuff before was from canada corals original in Toronto and big show frags. Used to get amazing mini colonies 4"+ for $40-$100. Guess those days are over. I plan on setting up an aquaculture system over the next year or 2. Learned a lot over the past few years producing freshwater plants, betta's, koi and neocaridina shrimp for sale to stores. Need to diversify. Need breeding, growing and bees to be a full time job, working for the man again is killing me.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Going for the impossible, can't help myself but in my world 0 water change is by far the best setup for growth and colour of corals. My 90 gal went 2 years without a single water change and the 10 gal is at 3.5 months no water change.

Not only does this tank not have a sump it also does not have a skimmer. Only filtration is hob with uv light (not used) 1 chamber bio balls and 1 chamber chaeto with no sponge or filter floss. Currently housing 1 orchid dottyback and 1 picasso clownfish, 6 ninja star snails, 6 lightening dove snails (and babies, they are breeding), 4 nassarius snails (and babies they are breeding too), 4 astrea snails, tuxedo urchin and a tiger conch.

So far water is remaining clear, 0 algae issues, all parameters at where needed aside from slightly elevated cal, mag and potassium that is my doing. Also dosing red sea trace colours 4 bottle set. Fish get fed mix of mysis and cyclopeez once a week and new life spectrum marine every other day. Coral gets their aqua vitro fuel, polyp labs reef roids and polyp entension and red sea reef energy plus AB+ mixture I feed once a week. I also add 1 capful of big als bio support step 3 and 2 capfuls of big als bio support step 2 once a week. New studies show corals actually eat bacteria strains and it does help with polyp extension big time.

Pics speak 1000 words. 3 new pieces are colouring up really nice, that almost white one is now blue forming pink tips in only a week. Other 2 are getting deeper colour by the day.
20240728_114515.jpg20240728_114510.jpg20240728_114444.jpg20240728_114434.jpg20240728_114425.jpg20240728_114403.jpg20240728_114347.jpg20240728_114340.jpg20240728_114331.jpg20240728_114323.jpg

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Uuuuuu ahhhhhhhh (not pooping)

This one I've had since the start. Nice wild aussie mini colony that has coloured up to look basically the same as the prized ORA cherry blossom. Nice tabling acro with green base, hot pink tops, and golden yellow polyps.

Guess i get to call it the new Scuba Steve cherry blossom lol. Wish i didnt lose the other aussie colony in the crash when the furnace died. It was really nice too but this one made it through it all. Very hardy.
20240729_214038.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I don’t know why but I have a great love for obscure clowns. There is something fascinating about watching any clown hosting.
Ya I love clowns with a mix of white, black and orange. That was in store with faint lighting. Much darker now in tank. Nobody had picasso's or black ice gladiators so I settled for the black ice snowflake. Was never a huge fan of snowflake clowns but I like it's patterns. My poor onyx was lonely all by himself so it's nice to see it swim about more. Both are best friends now lol.