150g Frag system Build

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Re: Frag tank w sump

i hit a snag... my return pump gave up the ghost... so im waiting to acquire a new one...
other than that, everything seem to be going good... picked up a new 50gallon barrel... one will be for mixing/store NSW and the other will be for R/O water storage :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

so i picked up a mag 12 from pulp- THANKS!!! works awesome...
got the whole system plumbed up, minus the 30gal quartine tank :(, still waiting to get drilled
got sand and liverock in the sump, got a couple damsels in the tank ...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

i have to figure out what to do for lights...
i orginally planned to run a 250w metal halide and a 24" dual 65w PC light...
but, i would like to get a 48" LED light....
opinions anyone?? :p

Royal Aquariums

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Website
www.royalaquariums.ca

Brandon link said:
i have to figure out what to do for lights...
i orginally planned to run a 250w metal halide and a 24\" dual 65w PC light...
but, i would like to get a 48\" LED light....
opinions anyone?? :p

I really think that T5's do a great job for frag tanks because of the coverage they provide. That being said, for LED it really depends one what you want to spend. I have seen some really nice frag tanks with reef brites over them. Some people make some pretty nice DIY led fixtures as well if you want to save some money.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

another update... so my guy that drilled the tank decided to accidently crack it  :?
but it was in the bottom and 'repairable' so they repaired it and it seems to hold water fine... dont know whether or not to trust it but not much else to do ....

so i got the second tank all plumbed in... and just waiting for the r/o water to fill up the tank to leak test it...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

lol problem was i had another tank... cracked that one... got this one to replace it... and cracked this one as well... *($&()ing pisses me off and this project is taking more money and time then i had anticipated... its either this tank or bust.... i installed it so it wont be a night mare to take out if need be... but why dont we all just say a silent prayer for me and say it doesnt ever leak??? plz? :)

ive seen this guy repair tanks before, and i know some of his display tanks are the same repair job, and they've held for years... so the only reason im trusting is because of his experience....

R

reeffreak

I wouldnt be setting that tank up in my house either ... should have drilled it yourself aslong as you take yout time you should never end up with a cracked tank , not only that but should not have drilled the bottoms at all , ask jones02 about that .

I would have drilled the tank for you free of charge and gaurenteed you no cracks or replace the tank for you .

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

well ive researched it abit , and he repair it the best way you possibly could and in theory.. there should be no problem...

what he did was put a glass plane on the bottom, to support the weight, so theres not extra pressure on the cracks... and siliconed the plate in place as well as siliconed all the cracks in... ive waited 4 weeks to get this stupid tank in... its up and running now, but im not going to put anything in it for a while to see how it goes... its 100% so far...

on the other hand, i dont have the money right now to buy a light, new or used so im using my mh pendant and 2 65w pc bulbs for my atinics...

on ANOTHER note, i have a design flaw...

the 2 tanks, running into one 15 gallon sump.... the sumps to small and when i cut power, overflows... but when i take out JUST enough water (to the brim of the sump) and turn the system back on again the pump almost runs dry... less than a day of evaporation would kill it....
so i need to look for a bigger sump i guess...  :?

im close to just scrapping the whole thing lol

spyd

Super Active Member

Definitely go for a new sump. You are playing with fire between the cracked tank and small sump! The cost to do it right is far less expensive than a flooded house. I have a 20G sump up for sale in a few days. It's in perfect condition. Not sure that will be enough for you or not though...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Frag tank w sump

My sump is a 20 gallon. Wishing it was bigger for the evaporation reason.

spyd

Super Active Member

Brandon link said:
what are the dimensions of your spyd?

36" L x 12" W x 12" D. So it is technically 22 gallons. It has a skimmer area, 2 baffles, fuge area, 2 baffles, return pump section. It is in perfect condition. Not a scratch on it. All glass.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

i went and bought a 40gallon tote at canadian tire onsale for 11$.... im good to go!... ill just eggcrate a section off for my liverock/macro algae, just like the sump of my 180g (no baffles)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

I'm going to sound like a jerk, but most of the totes leech phosphates like crazy.  Just fill it and test in 2 days.

R

reeffreak

to bad Cal_stir still wasnt around  , he did a little study on the leaching of stuff from rubbermaid totes along with other types  and he actually called around to the manufactures and dug up some info .... when he was over last he mentioned to me that all that leaching issues from these totes are not as big of issue as we think . 

Im actually going to try and get ahold of him right now and see if I can pull some more information out of him on this topic and I will post in a little more detail for everyone also I'll even try to get hiim back on the forum . for the members who werent around when he was on the forum , he is very very knowledgble guy and does alot of research on many different topics in our hobby and has done neat little " projects " aswell check out his members tank page I beleive its still up probably the first couple pages .