To drill or not to drill

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hey Salty
At the risk of sounding really really stupid, my 135 has a corner overflow from top to bottom of the tank, the hole is drilled in the bottom of the overflow, BUT I have no return hole drilled anywhere. Seeing your photos was like a light bulb going off.  Hmmm, it seems that if I want to set the sump up and properly I'll have to do some drilling too? of course when I bought the tank I didn't see how the return was set up, but I do have a lot of hose attached to the pump that came with it that gives me the idea that it was hooked over the side of the tank. The tank was built into a closet and I really didn't get a good look at the setup.
Just something else to add to the ongoing expense of the 135 I guess. Now I'm scared! drilling glass ! oh no !
sunnykita
still a newbie !

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
My 120 has the holes drilled in the bottom.  Two overflows and 2 return lines.  The overflow boxes run the height of the tank, so since I couldn't drill the bottom of this, I did it all near the top.  Ugly and visible, but it should work. 

Drilling was fun, speed has to be just right.  Too slow and it will just skid around on the glass.  When you get to the end of the cut ease way off on the pressure.  Surprisingly easy. 

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Yup.  Nothing to it.  Glad it went well.  You will never have an undrilled tank ever again.  Heck! You will be looking for reasons to drill more holes now.  Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
You don't need to drill for a return sunny, just run it over the top of the tank, alot of people do it that way including me.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
You don't need to drill for a return sunny, just run it over the top of the tank, alot of people do it that way including me.

Ahhh, thanks Brandon, I may be pestering you for more info when it's time to move the tank and get the sump set up, getting closer, hopefully a couple more weeks and I'll be ready to get it into it's final place. Could I come out when you have time and go over how you have yours set up?  I showed Jonesy some pics of the pump and hose and he really had no idea of what was going on LOL
sunnykita aka Sherry

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
haha, ya sure, just send me a pm...
lets not hijack saltys thread anymore.. hes a sensitive guy dont want to upset him  :D

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
haha, ya sure, just send me a pm...
lets not hijack saltys thread anymore.. hes a sensitive guy dont want to upset him  :D

No we don't want to upset Salty ! especially since he's done such a great job drilling his tank ! looking forward to more educational photos !
great job Salty !

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'M NOT SENSITIVE!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

;D

Just installing an RO/DI  unit in the basement.  It would be too much work trucking water up and down the stairs, so I'll have one for each tank now.  I'm putting it in the furnace room next to the floor drain for all of the inevitable spills I have.  I plan to hit lowes today for a few more pieces and some flexible tubing.  HD says  "people don't use flexible tubing anymore" LOL. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
davesolo29 link said:
I have all kinds of 1\" spa flex if you want it. 

DAmn, already been and back.  Guy was pretty pissy about going up the ladder to cut the pipe.  He could use the exercise though.... :)

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
My 120 has the holes drilled in the bottom.  Two overflows and 2 return lines.  The overflow boxes run the height of the tank, so since I couldn't drill the bottom of this, I did it all near the top.  Ugly and visible, but it should work. 

Drilling was fun, speed has to be just right.  Too slow and it will just skid around on the glass.  When you get to the end of the cut ease way off on the pressure.  Surprisingly easy.

Thanks Salty for the tips!
sunnykita

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
I'M NOT SENSITIVE!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

;D

Just installing an RO/DI  unit in the basement.  It would be too much work trucking water up and down the stairs, so I'll have one for each tank now.  I'm putting it in the furnace room next to the floor drain for all of the inevitable spills I have.  I plan to hit lowes today for a few more pieces and some flexible tubing.  HD says  \"people don't use flexible tubing anymore\" LOL.

of course you're not sensitive !!!!!
Did you ask the salesman if he realized the HD was not the only DIY store? and recommend that they rethink the flexible tubing and other plumbing supplies LOL you could have a lot of fun with that one !

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=4961.msg48242#msg48242 date=1365878967]
I have all kinds of 1\" spa flex if you want it. 

DAmn, already been and back.  Guy was pretty pissy about going up the ladder to cut the pipe.  He could use the exercise though.... :)
[/quote]

I take such joy in giving those type of individuals my standard "and you be sure and have a great day too" speech!

my daughter had a Timmies employee apologize to her when the employee snapped at her early one morning and she responded with
"honey - it wasn't me that pissed in your cornflakes this morning, so take that attitude elsewhere please and thank you !

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Going to have a few photos and a vid of the tank running shortly, trying to get the damn software installed for the camcorder.

Grabbed some extra parts for the overflow just now.  Word to the wise...run everything before you use any glue...even if you're 100% sure 'it will work'.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Drilling is really fun.  I'd never drilled glass before this tank, I hear you on the slipping around if you dont go in from an angle! My first hole ended up being about 2 inches lower than I intended... it was going to be an overflow hole but was turned into my return lol.  But once that first hole was done the rest were a breeze.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Ordered frag rack magnets, a check valve, more bulkheads (they crack fairly easy!), some DI resin, and overflow strainers.  I started upping the salt in the  tank as well.  Pretty much it will be ready to go once I find a used skimmer and figure out the sump.

Not much to look at unfortunately, new lights didn't arrive yet, although I do have it running silent, which is amazing considering I just sort of guessed at the whole overflow setup. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, parts showed up today, I might at least get the frag rack up.  I grabbed a teeeeny little skimmer, rated for 30 gallons, will be killer for a portable frag rack :)  I'll run that on this until I get a real skimmer.  Pics to follow if there's anything worth taking pics of :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay wired up the LED light today, still a little ghetto looking until I bundle the wires and get them in behind.  Quite happy with the light mix, although I did get a manual dimmer and for some reason two of the bulbs aren't firing so I'll pull it down tomorrow and swap them out or see if they're grounding out or something.  I can go from bright white to blue as blue can be.  Overflow works well with valves on the bottom to balance out the flow from each pipe and keep any gurgling inside the pipe and not coming out.  There is a huge check valve on the return line so that I can have the return pointed anywhere I want and not just at the surface.  I put a couple of powerheads and a teeny skimmer, and 4 socks on the setup to try and clear it up, the substrate left a lot of dust even after a whole lotta rinsing.