What Skimmer Are You Using??

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I'm running a lifereef VS2-24 with a mag 18 powering it. If I had to do it again, only thing I might do is option for one of the flange ones for long term cleaning, but otherwise ecstatic with the performance from this skimmer. Cost brand new without pump was $429 US plus shipping I already had a spare pump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
Looks like vertex is TFT champ
Screenshot_2016-04-13-22-03-57.png

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I'm running a lifereef VS2-24 with a mag 18 powering it. If I had to do it again, only thing I might do is option for one of the flange ones for long term cleaning, but otherwise ecstatic with the performance from this skimmer. Cost brand new without pump was $429 US plus shipping I already had a spare pump

I have the 36". Will never ever ever buy another skimmer brand. LIFEREEF. Oohrah

reef keeper

Super Active Member
In theory, shouldn't have to buy another skimmer ever?

Should ever have to. The problem with needle wheels is

A) neck is too large to force bubbles out. The kind of flow out
B) they change the pumps or pump mounts every couple of years, meaning you need a new skimmer when the pump fails.

With Lifereef you can use whatever pump you want. I'm getting another for my frag system.

Should t

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Upgrade my curve 5 to a SWC 180 cone a while ago, powered by a sicce psk 2500. Absolutely love it, hate cleaning it (did that yesterday). Also, the pump is really really hard to open, so I have 2 to swap between during cleanings.

Last edited:

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Speaking of cleaning.....

I don't want a lifereef anymore. I had to get a toothbrush to scrape the crap of the neck and cup. I've had to clean up runnier dog crap then what this skimmer is pulling out, then I had to clean the tub for the crap, actually plugged the drain in the bathtub it was so thick, anyone want to come grab this boat anchor from the curb!?

shamous113

Speaking of cleaning.....

I don't want a lifereef anymore. I had to get a toothbrush to scrape the crap of the neck and cup. I've had to clean up runnier dog crap then what this skimmer is pulling out, then I had to clean the tub for the crap, actually plugged the drain in the bathtub it was so thick, anyone want to come grab this boat anchor from the curb!?

LOL....what time will it be at the curb?? I'll come get it now

Nighthawk26

Sorry, one of the flange ones? Elaborate please?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

reef keeper

Super Active Member
The flange allows you to remove the top of the body to facilitate cleaning of the main skimmer body without hiring a baby to get inside. I thought they all had that?

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Nope, I bought what he calls his original and still best seller, didn't see it wasn't flanged but either way, just makes full bore cleaning a bit more difficult, but then after you do that skimmer has to break in again, and set up and , and, and. So I don't, just clean the cup, drain some wet skim every once and awhile and try not to puke.

Nighthawk26

You guys mean with the thumb screws? That's what I have. You can't remove your's at all? I thought maybe you were talking like a twist off or something. I think the only way you can buy them anymore is with the screws. I've yet to need to take mine apart, although the coraline forming on one side due to the light from my fuge is going to need it sooner or later. I know it's not supposed to affect the performance, just visual.