125 Gallon Fowlr

MeridiaRose

Wow, very sorry to hear that...
I will be in Guelph on Saturday visiting family, so if you need a hand doing a quick water change or cleaning filter socks or whatever, please feel free to message me :)
I know we are essentially strangers, but I have met a few of the members here already, and I'd be more than happy to lend you a hand...literally.
Hope you're back to getting your hands wet soon!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for the kind offer! Its people like you who make this forum such a great place. I will definitely give you a shout if I need any help.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MeridiaRose

Took me longer than it probably should have but at least she's clean. Thanks again Jesse for offering to help but one handed water changes aren't as difficult as I thought, they just take most of the day and a lot of patience.

78244cbd0bd026c828d8d4b3d547c7e1.jpg

78fe03f0e20d7ab7fc0457fbca78312b.jpg

00d185f1ff14701724afc86b8c3d12e5.jpg

I'm noticing a lot more coraline on the rocks (and powerheads).

Luke.

Distinguished Member
So the hang on back filter started making this really loud noise last week and I didn't think much of it, figured with a good clean it would stop. So I took it apart yesterday and cleaned it now the bloody thing won't turn back on. So since I was planning on replacing it eventually anyways, I went out and bought the Fluval FX-6. It's rated for a 400 gallon, but I figure the more filtration the better.

I know there are mixed feelings on canister filters especially for saltwater tanks. I figured since I'm planning on mainly keeping this tank as a FOWLR and if I keep on my cleaning schedule then I should be good.

Its massive, but super quiet. Here's a quick look at the beast.

0153ceed43cda5cdfe0d959495fbc364.jpg

Haha have no fear ! I'm running a filstar and my 40 gallon reef and 0 issues (just hate cleaning the bastard lol)

MeridiaRose

Glad to hear it! I haven't changed it out yet .. But just by its size I'm sure its going to be a big task lol

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Glad to hear it! I haven't changed it out yet .. But just by its size I'm sure its going to be a big task lol

Just wait till you get those hard tube worms (forget the name) but they are a pain to scrape off lol and rated for a 400 gallon on a 125 you'll be fine what media are you using inside your canister ? Mine is rated for 40 gallon and my tanks 40 gallon I clean mine out once every 2 months (I can stretch 3if I wanted to )

MeridiaRose

Are the tube worms you're talking about pinkish red? If so my 10 gallon has those, man are they sharp.

As for the media, I'm using foam/sponges, ceramic balls and carbon. Essentially I'm using what came with the filter plus I added carbon in the last basket.

The reason I went with such a big filter is because bigger is better and I'm going to get a porcupine puffer in the near future hopefully (its my dream fish, I've wanted one since as long as I can remember). As puffers are notorious for being messy I wanted to be well prepared. Any ideas on what kind of cleaning crew I should have with a puffer, I'm reluctant to get snails as they will quickly become lunch.

MeridiaRose

Just a quick look at the tank (that loud noise you hear is the fan from the projector which sits directly above the tank)

MeridiaRose

Thanks! My fiance bought the tank from KingTang at the beginning of October, as an early birthday present (it came with the clowns and yellow tang) it was 2ish months old then and if we count those months plus the time I've had it up and running its about 5 months. I count them together because everything was transfered in water and set up right away, I barely had a mini cycle that's how quickly the transfer took place .. Same day, just a lot of driving in between.

I have a Kenya Tree in the tank, and I would love if it took over the whole thing (I know I'm one of those crazy people). The reason I've been keeping it as FOWLR is because I'd love to get a puffer (I'm in contact with my LFS) and they aren't usually reef safe.

The live rock that came with the tank already had quite a bit of coraline on it and it's just taken off .. Its even starting to grow on my power heads.

ColbytheClown

Thanks! My fiance bought the tank from KingTang at the beginning of October, as an early birthday present (it came with the clowns and yellow tang) it was 2ish months old then and if we count those months plus the time I've had it up and running its about 5 months. I count them together because everything was transfered in water and set up right away, I barely had a mini cycle that's how quickly the transfer took place .. Same day, just a lot of driving in between.

I have a Kenya Tree in the tank, and I would love if it took over the whole thing (I know I'm one of those crazy people). The reason I've been keeping it as FOWLR is because I'd love to get a puffer (I'm in contact with my LFS) and they aren't usually reef safe.

The live rock that came with the tank already had quite a bit of coraline on it and it's just taken off .. Its even starting to grow on my power heads.

Thanks for the reply. I have a biocube 32 gal and I'm trying to convince my folks to get a 120 gal... . Sweet, which kind of puffer? Hopefully it works out.

MeridiaRose

When I was living at home the biggest tank I was allowed was a 10 gallon so you're doing pretty well with the 32 when my fiance and I bought this house the first thing I did was start saving/planning for a big tank. I'm very lucky that my fiance is okay with my obsession.

My absolute dream fish and probably the biggest reason I got into saltwater is a porcupine puffer. I've been in contact with my LFS and I'm patiently but not really patiently waiting for their next shipment to come in.

ColbytheClown

When I was living at home the biggest tank I was allowed was a 10 gallon so you're doing pretty well with the 32 when my fiance and I bought this house the first thing I did was start saving/planning for a big tank. I'm very lucky that my fiance is okay with my obsession.

My absolute dream fish and probably the biggest reason I got into saltwater is a porcupine puffer. I've been in contact with my LFS and I'm patiently but not really patiently waiting for their next shipment to come in.

Cool I will look it up!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Have the valves on your fluval canister ever leaked? Looks like my jebao filter uses the same ones, which have failed. Wondering if new o-rings would fix them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk