$19 Hose Bibb Assembly

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
this is what i did for the bottom of my water change barrel used all brass fittings and will seal well with a 3/4" hole i drill 2" from the bottom.....
I used a 1/2" sillcock robinet with a 1/2" threaded brass nipple slid the first rubber seal on would then insert through hole in barrell put other rubber washer on the inside over the nipple followed by 3/4" brass washer and 1/2" locknut....
is great for diy water barrel as well if you add a top connection for an overflow to your drip hose. Hopefully this helps people out who arent so familiar with plumbing more pictures to follow since the rain today soaked my barrell before i got it in
20140921_190056.jpg

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
brass contains copper does it not? Copper bad for fish tank...

I would think to avoid this on your aquarium systems... but would be awesome for a rain barrel :)

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
+1, brass kills reef tanks. I read about somebody on another forum who used brass fittings in his ato water and killed his corals.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Brass is an alloy comprised of Copper and Zinc.

That being said, I'd bet dollars to donuts most of you guys have copper pipes in your house. So before it hits your RO/DI unit (If you have one) its going through copper anyways.... But can the salt mixed water be more corrosive than regular water? Probably. I wouldn't use it as an end spigot on your water change barrel if it is pre mixed salt water, for RO/DI top off water I see no issues.

To be completely safe, use a PVC bulkhead with the proper pvc threaded connections.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Brass is an alloy comprised of Copper and Zinc.

That being said, I'd bet dollars to donuts most of you guys have copper pipes in your house. So before it hits your RO/DI unit (If you have one) its going through copper anyways.... But can the salt mixed water be more corrosive than regular water? Probably. I wouldn't use it as an end spigot on your water change barrel if it is pre mixed salt water, for RO/DI top off water I see no issues.

To be completely safe, use a PVC bulkhead with the proper pvc threaded connections.
The RODI unit removes the copper so there should be no brass or copper or metal fittings after the RODI unit

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
considering i havnt been using ro in 6 months i dont see it causing too much of an issue the amount leached at all should be taken care of since my salt and water treatment chems remove the metals from the water if my copper pipes havnt killed it im not too worried about it time will tell tho but 1 part per trillion isnt going to affect anything plus have used brass for things before in the past and never have problems most brass these days are anodized and dont react like regular brass its theold style and pipes that are the darker colour anodized brass almost reflects a rainbow pattern and more of a gold tone and has been a week still no problems will let ya know if anything changes or i remove it from system and i also test forzzinc and copper once a month and never had anything ever register

Last edited:

theyangman

Distinguished Member
This is one of those hobbies where if you want to go against the grain, by all means. It's your tank. However in six or twelve months when all you s*** goes sideways, let's bookmark this thread for reference.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
please do by all means you can do alot of not recommended things with great succcess the key is observe and controle total exposed brass is only 2 square inches to 55 gallons with stuff that neutralizes and removes base metals you can find tests on the net showing how much per square" of metal will leach into water and takes quite a bit to build up considering i water change double that every month leaching is minimal still not registering after a week in resevoir

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
my rodi broke 6 months ago so been using tap ever since i started my 125 gal pretty much....have been using mostly prime on 125 and aqua vitro alpha on my seahorse tank since is smaller other than the bloom on startup rocks and sandbed stay clean i leave a thin layer of algae on the back wall and sides for the pods but is nill.... i just make sure i dont overfeed too much baught a very efficient skimmer have had no problems yet :)..... and heres proof very low levels of metals are beneficial if kept in safe levels everyone is putting it in if they read their coral additives its needed and tests have already linked certain metals like iron zinc and copper enhance colour....
20140929_134402.jpg 20140929_134356.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
ya when i first started adding it i was iffy cuz thaught any trace of metal was bad apparently every good coral growth and colour additives all contain traceable amounts of base metals so got to reading and there are marine biologists that have linked metals to colour hence why places like australia get better colour tthan indo its to do with water chemistry and australia has large mineral deposit areas compared to others..... i give up on word of mouth i go straight to the pros for the real answers that spend their life in oceans around the world and write those books we oh so need :)... cant wait for year 2 to go by so i can post pics of how still no losses

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
hmmmm, that's very interesting.

posted a topic in general reef discussion has a link about metals and corals and gives more links and key words to search for other scientific studies along those lines lol gotta love cold hard facts documented by science it beats word of mouth hands down lol i know you will be interested in reading it sunnykita :) guess some people are to stuck in their ways to admit theres more than one way or just dont fully understand what they are adding to their tank which i find funny read up about all major brands of trace element additives or colour enhancers because they all deliberately have metals included in their recipe as seen on my aqua vitro fuel bottle

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Just remember, our tanks are closed systems and those heavy metals will keep building up possibly reaching toxic levels, if it's working for you then great, but too much of a good thing is usually a bad thing.

Jewel

I totally agree with Tony and Cal, In time you will regret not replacing your RO unit but as Tony said, to each their own. Water Quality is the most important aspect of a Saltwater Tank.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well everything is still growing nicely readings all fine lfs double checks every few months for me make sure nothing is buggy with my test kits has been 1 year now with no ro water and doing great most sps frags more than tripled size lps and zoas growing steady and nice colours

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Just remember, our tanks are closed systems and those heavy metals will keep building up possibly reaching toxic levels, if it's working for you then great, but too much of a good thing is usually a bad thing.

my water treatment chems neutralize heavy metals so they can be skimmed out or broken down safely

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
some of those metals are elements and can't be broken down, think about it, can your chems split the atom and how do you know your skimmer getting any of it.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Before we get into the realms of moderation ;)

There are differences in points of view in this hobby. Maybe someone is wrong or uninformed in your books but is doing what they feel is correct based on the knowledge they have. It goes both ways, challenging the accepted norms can move the hobby forward but it also comes with risks. Those risks affect other living things, and not just the wallet. Be on your toes and be prepared if your method does not work out.

Personally, I am comfortable in my tried and tested thinking. Happy with my RODI and keeping metals that are not added by me specifically out of the tank. To me tap water is one of those variables I can eliminate when any problems arise in the system. I did my initial fill with tap though :)

Ok everyone.. Forum Hug

:)