220 Gallon Reboot. Tonga Branch And Shelf

reef keeper

Super Active Member
i had decided to restart my reef, after making a huge mistake and allowing Gelidium to overrun the tank. It came in on a frag plug, and eventually spread to cover ever single lit surface.

The way my rocks were placed also made getting adequate flow to all the sps and didn't really leave as much free swimming space as I might have liked.

Yesterday, @bart84 came over, and we finished fragging the colonies that needed fragging to remove the frag plugs and put them on new plugs. My 3x5 frag system is pretty full right now!

We pulled the substrate, and drained the sump and cleaned the glass.

We then brought about 200 lbs of some amazing and HUGE Tonga branch and Tonga shelf down from the garage and placed it all in the now empty reef.

The middle branchy piece took both of us to get it in the tank. It probably weighs between 70 and 80 lbs.

I changed my substrate out to tropic Marin reef flakes, which are a bit bigger than the normal substrate, but is heavy enough to not blow around. I had 2 30 lb bags here, and have 1 more in Buffalo. I'm going with a shallow substrate, of maybe an inch or so depth. The third bag will fill in any gaps under the rocks.

@bart84 is a real champ when it came to designing the layout, and the rock work is very open, with a ton Of room to grow corals, yet lots of space to have the fish swim and be comfortable. I think with this new layout, I can get away with fewer power heads to achieve the same type of flow and encourage the colonies to grow fat and heathy branches.

Right now I'm filling the system with fresh RODI, 100 gallons at a time and will circulate it for 2 or 3 days just to make sure everything in there is totally dead and get me a pest free reboot.

Will update as we progress!

Last edited:

reef keeper

Super Active Member
There is soooo much more open surface to put all the corals on! My sump will be full of small pieces of Fiji that I nuked from my old tank. It's been treated twice with acid. GELIDIUM is now beginning to loosen up after being left to dry outside.

I'm really excited to get this thing full and running.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Looks fantastic. One thing I may switch up is to put the flat pieces more on an angle. If they are super flat and your stacking SPS then the one in the front will block the ones behind it.

...of course I am assuming an SPS dominant reef :)

I do like the mixture of rock types, adds another element to the tank.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
They're angled lol. It's almost full so I can start it up and finish murderig everythig with freshwater lol

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Today I've added 4 bags of salt (200 gallons worth) over 5 or 6 hours, and the water temp is up to 70 degrees. Still a long way off of the 76.5+ I keep it at, but getting there.

I added about 3 caps of ammonia to get the cycle going, and dumped 1/2 a cup of skimmate in there to get it going.

Lights will stay off for a couple weeks.

Tomorrow, I'll add the last bag of substrate.

The frag system is doing pretty well. All the fish are actually alive, and eating like horses. The sps is extended, and my lone orange frogspawn is happy. I added the skimmer tonight, and have it dialled back a bit so it can catch up on some nutrients.

Figured out that I can really only keep one clam, so I will have 2 monsters for sale pretty soon. I just put them on clam hammocks, so once they bond to that, they are good to go.

Pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

reef keeper

Super Active Member
The water has cleared after adding the 3rd bag of reef flakes. I haven't really bothered to test the ammonia yet, since it's only day 3. I'm going to cycle it around 1.021 or so, and increase the salinity before I add fishes.

I have some pretty cool encrusting montipora that I'm going to put on some branches in the front

I may even finish the stand this year lol

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I checked my ammonia 2 days ago and it was 4ppm+. Was on the road yesterday, so I figured I would check it this am.

ZERO

I check nitrate as well, which looked like THIS

I dosed it again up to 4ppm to see how long it takes to drop back to zero.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Great use of API test kit...just be sure that once the mass testing is done that you upgrade to a better kit ;)

reef keeper

Super Active Member
The tank is chewing through the ammonia in 12 hours. Did a pretty good size wc to knock down the nitrate a bit. Was at Canada corals today to pick up a couple of nice mini colonies, and saw......

Purple queen anthias. I'm trying to have a lot of small fish in this system, and I'm really trying to avoid sps nippers. I was to try some pjs down the road, or maybe another harem of anthias. Once the tank fill in they will look amazing.

I'm still a month or more before I even come close to thinking about adding some sps to this.

I've read that the queen anthias are very tough to get eating. I bought some LRS fish eggs from big show a while back. They are the smallest food I have and guess what? Ate right away.

The flow in this tank is much much better than my "rocks piles" scape I had previously. I have the gyre and the mp40s on pulse. There are only a couple of dead spots. I'll see what happens when the 2 sea swirls get installed this weekend.