28gal JBJ HQI NanoCube DIY LED retrofit from RapidLED

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This is my second DIY LED setup. I learned 2 big things between this and the last.

1) solderless LEDs have huge benefits are easily installed and replaced if needed.
2) spend the extra few dollars and get a prefab heatsink

Total time was about 3 hours. It would have been quicker, except that the some of the hood screws were rusted and I needed to drill them out. I did not take pics of the dimmer build as I just wanted to get it done. There are great instructions (which I posted and linked in a below post).

The only big issue was that when setting the dim settings on the drivers, there were no clear instructions when using the solderless LEDs. There was also no online assistance that I could find in a timely matter. I was able to figure out the information though. Hence why there are copper pads still on the LEDs although it is supposed to be a solderless LED.

I do not suggest this project to anyone who does not have basic electrical knowledge as you are working with live 120v while adjusting the dimmable drivers. You also need have and be able to operate a Multimeter.

Here we go...this is a rapidled.com DIY LED retro fit kit.

Solderless JBJ Nanocube 28 HQI Dimmable Retrofit Kit

finished_hqi_nc28__993401345674496640640.jpg

Price: $255.00

This retrofit kit fit seamlessly into my existing Nanocube 28 HQI hood (once gutted), and attached via 4 screws (included). 

This kit included: 

5.9" x 10" Heatsink drilled/tapped for 24 LEDs and 4 installation holes
    11 Solderless Cool White CREE XP-G LEDs
    11 Solderless Royal Blue CREE XP-E LEDs
    2 Solderless UV LED (410-420nm wavelength)
    2 Mean Well ELN-60-48P dimmable driver or 2 Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver (i purchased the ELN-60-48D)
    2 Driver Jumper
    2 Terminal Plug
    22 3" LED to LED Wire (3" were out of stock, I opted for the 4.5" to get my order sooner)
    1 tube of Thermal Grease (more then enough)
    12V AC Adapter
    10 non-water repellant wire nuts
    2 power cords to attach to the drivers (US + Canada orders only)
    5 feet of black bulk wire (if we're out of black we may send blue or white wire instead)
    5 feet of red bulk wire (if we're out of red we may send blue or white wire instead)

Screws (for the LEDs and to mount the heatsink to the hood)

DIY 2 color dimming kit

diy_dim_kit__139591310932253640640.jpg

Price: $30.00

This kit allows you to use two Meanwell ELN-60-27D/ELN-60-48D drivers to control dimming of two separate colors.  The kit includes:

1 x 10V AC Adapter
    2 x 10K Ohm Linear Potentiometers
    1 x DC Power Connector
    1 x Face Plate and Case
    2 x Rubber knobs
    2 x Face Plate screws

Some assembly is required, this is not a plug and play unit
    Please note that a multimeter may be required to set the current on your drivers

Before: (lights were only on for a few minutes before this pic was taken, typically the torch is much happier :) )

20121110_215159.jpg

After: (still playing with color and strength of each string)

20121111_092657.jpg

Not going to go into detail about how to put paste on the LED and then add 2 screws. For LEDs you just put them in the same way, V+ to V- to V+ to V-. The LEDs are clearly marked on them when you get them. There are so many different variations to list and post, I am just alternating CW then RB. There is one UV on each of the 2 strings.

20121027_215550.jpg

Untitled.jpg

20121027_215618.jpg

And done...total time, less then 20 minutes.

20121027_221948.jpg

Here is the original hood.

20121110_215900.jpg

Glass removed.

20121110_215921.jpg

Old wiring to the ballast which is cut and the original power cord is used to power the LEDs. There is a new cord to power the cooling fans though. 

20121110_220615.jpg

LED installed

20121110_223017.jpg

New wires connected

20121110_223801.jpg

Completed unit

20121110_224023.jpg

All back together

20121111_005855.jpg

I am in no way affiliated with RapidLED or sponsored and am received no compensation for the above information/build. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of RapidLED.com.

RapidLED.jpg

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Re: 28gal JBJ HQI NanoCube DIY LED retrofit

nice... what did you do with the old hqi stuff::) I have a15 gal biocube with PC ligthing

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Re: 28gal JBJ HQI NanoCube DIY LED retrofit

Neopimp link said:
nice... what did you do with the old hqi stuff::) I have a15 gal biocube with PC ligthing

Thanks

Sitting in my storage room, left the wires marked for easy repair, just needs a new thick cable, a few feet of heavy extension cord would work. Any suggestions what I should do with it...?

Victoss

Since you have them running at 1300mA, this means you have them at full right? So no need for the multimeter in this case and opening up the driver, which makes it that much more capable for others. (Just lessening your warning. Also this only applies for the XT-E royal blue and XP-G white which are common in the kits.) That aside, the after picture seems to have a much nicer colour.  :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Victoss link said:
Since you have them running at 1300mA, this means you have them at full right? So no need for the multimeter in this case and opening up the driver, which makes it that much more capable for others. (Just lessening your warning. Also this only applies for the XT-E royal blue and XP-G white which are common in the kits.) That aside, the after picture seems to have a much nicer colour.  :)

I am running the LEDs at 1300mA so that I prolong the life of the LEDs which can be run at 1500mA, the drivers can put out a lot more then that which will burn out the LEDs. The driver specs state that it can only put out 1.3A which would be 1300mA, but it was not at 100% and I was able to hit 1400mA before I dialed it back. Also, they do not come preset at the correct setting either. They could be set too high burning out or blowing your LEDs, or too low and will not put out any power to your LEDs. Worse yet, if set incorrectly, you could put your whole project back together and the first time you use a dimmer, you could blow everything.

If you are not using dimmable drivers, then there is no need for a Multimeter or to open your driver.

Simply put...
Non-Dimmable - easier and safer
DImmable - warning, more dangerous, multimeter needed

Warning still stands

Victoss

Ah I didn't know that, on mine I did not remember them going that high but that was a while ago so who knows. But I did check them with a MM anyways when it was in the works plus half the drivers needed to be run at 600 for my colours. Thanks for clearing that up  :-[ :p

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Absolutely loving them. I have not dialed back the drivers, but I do a 50-70% dim on the whites depending on the day and what I feel :) have a few Sps frags in my sand bed that are actually coming back since the upgrade as well :D.

Worth every penny and would be glad to build is anyone wants to save some cash but not do it themselves.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looking to hook up a basic cheap controller for these. Only need a controller to dim at this point. Was thinking about DIY but i also seen DDC-01 PWM Controller online. It is really basic and would still need my outlet timer to run them, however it will add only 3 different timer selections without any additional programing. I currently do about 45 mninutes sunrise, 8.5 hours daytime and 45 minutes sunset when I am home. Wife just turns it off after 5 when I am not home lol. 

30 minutes sunrise, 7 hours daytime, 30 minutes sunset
45 minutes sunrise, 8.5 hours daytime, 45 minutes sunset
1 hour sunrise, 10 hours daytime, 1 hour sunset

Basically when the power is turned on through the timer coming on, it will start one of the above cycles. The unit then needs to be power cycled to restart the next cycle. But the wall timer that turned it on to start the program would also shut off the timer after the cycle is run and restart AKA power cycle for the morning start up. Pretty basic, but complicated at the same time. It is only $60 though. Feedback??? Suggestions??? Alternatives within similar budget??? Or just drop the idea???

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I have some homemade circuit boards that run from 10-0 and 0-10 based on a mechanucal timer switch

Victoss

For $40 (including the Arduino) I made a simple controller for my nano's LEDs using an Arduino Uno with a shield on top. Then it uses a few parts for the clock and a few transistors for the PWM. BUT... you need 0-10V so something like this could still be done but you would need digital POTs which I  have not looked into. It does take a little know how and effort so the cost may not be worth it but for people who have Arduinos it could be a fun project and I could always help with the code if needed.

Top side with the shield (white) on top of the Arduino:
img0583si.jpg

(btw this is basically all the parts to it besides the Arduino. There's a transistor and resistor for every channel (3) then a battery, 8 pin chip, cap and crystal for the clock.)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
@Victoss - that is amazing. I saw a lot of DIY with Arduino, and thought it would be an interesting project. Great to see that someone is local that could help out...well that was when I thought this was plausible. Looks like more to look into, or just replace my 2 drivers.

@Neopimp - explain further please?