34 Gallon Cube

Alberych

Gone through a series of moves (college, law school, immigration) since my last reef tank 5 years ago. A few weeks ago my wife pitched the idea of getting our 4 year old a betta in a fish bowl on his dresser. I thought maybe we could do a little more.

My last tank was pretty good--also a 34 gallon cube; a Solana, which was popular in the US at the time. It was an AIO, and I had some success with a DIY cree LED array with meanwell dimmable drivers and an industrial scrap heat sink growing SPS and LPS. But I had habitual problems with nitrate, phosphate, aipstasia, and bubble algae. I'd like to avoid those issues in this build.

My goals for this build are:
1) To fit the tank into my bedroom. This basically necessitates a smallish cube, which is why I went with a tank 20" on each side.
2) To run a sump on the cube.
3) This should help facilitate using adequate skimmage, GFO/Carbon, and if necessary a sulfur denitrator and an algae scrubber to keep my water chemistry in check.
4) To do things right from the get go and avoid false economies. This goes from using RO/DI from the start (which I didn't on my last tank), to taking the time to aquascape properly and securely, to not cheaping out on used liverock with unwanted critters (aiptasia, etc.). Again these are things I experienced in the past and wanted to avoid.
5) To use an arduino for my first time to control a set of flexible strip, addressable LEDs (they use PWM for RGB value and brightness). This is mostly for sunrise/sunset/moonlights. I couldn't resists the Kessil a360 with spectral controller for the tank's main lighting needs, and I have 4 18" t5s on timers to make sure I round out the full spectrum.
6) Raise primarily SPS with a couple of fancy clowns with a nice BTA.

So with that in mind, I've done a couple of things thus far:

1) Installed needle valve under sink line for RO/DI:
z6IqVoh.jpg

2) Built a stand (Pine frame/MDF skin. Euro hinges for flush mounted door, which is missing in this pic as I was still finishing it).
A9Qqh1Zr.jpg

3) Glued up a box for a sump (18x18x14")
TANbAl1.jpg

4) Did some aquascaping ( DEAD ROCK > No pests; hydraulic cement and zip ties to secure)
yWqsmvK.jpg

m34WMd2.jpg

5) Put together some supplies.
G3LIsys.jpg

mkUcLf4.jpg

6) Bought a tank
A5sCsrh.jpg

7) Painted the room before I got the tank up!
liQrDRX.jpg

So yea. Nothing is done yet but I'm waiting for my bulkheads and diamond hole saw to come in so--here we are!

Last edited:

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Everything sounds great good luck on the new build... looking forward to seeing more pics... definitely post more as you go.

Alberych

Well, I probably should have gotten more pics along the way. But here is what I did since last post:
1) Sealed the inside of the stand with garage epoxy. 100% waterproof.
2) Drilled Tank, built overflow out of scrap glass with an acrylic skin. (I folded it over a board heating it with a torch lighter =))
3) Sprayed back of tank black.
4) Finished rock work.
5) Cut, tested, painted, solvent welded plumbing.
5) Made up 45 gallons of RO/DI water, mixed salt, and began cycle.
JafLvTm.jpg
BGKx4tw.jpg

I'll try to get my camera out tomorrow and get some better pictures. For now the water is still fairly cloudy.

Alberych

Need to get those cords under control, design hood, and make an ATO reservoir. There is a small (4") space for a tall, narrow reservoir to the left of the sump. I would prefer to go for a gravity fed ATO for the cost savings, but the space just isn't available.

Alberych

I suspect the tank is adequately broken in. It went through an initial cycle where the ammonia was 8ppm; after adding a large amount of established live rock from another tank, that ammonia dropped to 0 within 24 hours, and have remained undetectable through the week. After the cycle but before putting in the fish I fed the tank twice a day for about 5 days to make sure it was processing the nutrients.

All the same I was also concerned, and have stored enough RO/DI to do a series of large water changes if my params get out of whack.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I suspect the tank is adequately broken in. It went through an initial cycle where the ammonia was 8ppm; after adding a large amount of established live rock from another tank, that ammonia dropped to 0 within 24 hours, and have remained undetectable through the week. After the cycle but before putting in the fish I fed the tank twice a day for about 5 days to make sure it was processing the nutrients.

All the same I was also concerned, and have stored enough RO/DI to do a series of large water changes if my params get out of whack.
Excellent. Glad you're on top of it and prepared if you need to do some emergency WC's

Sony Xperia Z3

Alberych

Made some changes to the tank this weekend. For one, I started to register nitrates (around 2ppm, so I started cycling on my sulfur denitrator. I should be able to dial in my nitrate level to just above 0, altohugh I may have to invest in a more finely tuneable 1/4" valve (at present it's just tee'd off the return pump with a lowes 1/4" ball valve.) Recirculation is supplied by a small maxi jet. It should be registering 0ppm nitrate on the effluent by tomorrow if I didn't make any mistakes (fingers crossed =X 0.

I picked up a cheep acropora caroliniana frag from Canada Corals... i mean it was literally 5 dollars. It was the only frag in their 5 dollar section that had the slightest hint of color. If it goes as I predict it will go blue-green at the tips in a few weeks... again fingers crossed =D. But this is just my canary coral. I've set up a significant order of 23 frags from our very own David Caplan--who is a stand up guy and I recommend anyone looking for beautiful frags or copepods/plankton to hit him up. those are growing in now but I don't want to add them to the tank for a few weeks at least. Hence the canary coral =D.

The tank is doing fine, with params in check (0 ammonia, nitrite, 2ppm nitrate, relatively high calc/alk/mag which i attribute to my DD H2ocean salt). Cyano made its appearance but is on the decline, and there are a few dozen spots of orange-y diatoms cropping up on the rock.

Put in a skunk cleaner which has enjoyed giving my wife manicures (the feeling was, as I understand, mutual), and one of my favorite fishes: meet 'Harry', our Potter's angel:
A4wSlPh.jpg

We picked Harry up from Ryan at R20 Aquariums. I'm not going to lie, he grilled me for about half an hour on my sulfur denitrator (I'm still committed), but he was an obviously passionate fishkeeper. His store is literally the ONLY store I have been to up here (after visiting 10+) that had ZERO dead fish. His store was messy and smelled like some highly resinous herbs, but his fish were HEALTHY, happy, ate like crazy, and he was so informative and willing to talk. He is the real deal, and I suspect I'm going to buy all my fish there from now on.

Last edited:

Alberych

This is David's picture... hope he doesn't mind me posting it. These are the ones I ordered from him! I'm so stoked!
_5247729.jpg

I made him promise to not give them to me before June 14th though.

I think I'm going to make a couple of small magnetic racks so I can acclimate them and find the right lighting zone. Maybe 5 different small racks. Long term I want to pop them off the frag plugs and grow straight on my rock.

Alberych

Everyone is happy =D
EL7mOdm.jpg

Well, I think the cleaner shrimp wishes he could have mama clown's booty. But she is always in the anemone!

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I broke my promise and gave him a few of the corals to test the waters. If that anemone is looking so lovely, I am sure the corals will too.