75 Gallon Custom Rimless and Elite Aquatics Sump

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
benzzz link said:
So................... what did you and D do last night? any progress or just stood around the tank  :drool:  lol

I heard they played patty cake patty cake and duck duck goose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin

unibob link said:
[quote author=benzzz link=topic=8180.msg87519#msg87519 date=1395949183]
So................... what did you and D do last night? any progress or just stood around the tank  :drool:  lol

[/quote]

LOL.... Lots of questions answered and great suggestions.....plumbing starts this weekend.....R/O being made already.

Hopefully do a freshwater test this weekend.

Austin L.

Jewel

I really like the  fact that mine is Trim less, Top and Bottom, I hate that crap plastic that they put on the bottom, Another thing is mine has a 2 inch lip on the front, Kinda like Euro bracing but not really, The thing is When my Sea Swirl and my WP25 get rocking, there's no over flow down the front of the glass.

Whats the thickness of your glass, mine is 15 Mil as it was made in Spain,

Austin

Jewel link said:
I really like the  fact that mine is Trim less, Top and Bottom, I hate that crap plastic that they put on the bottom, Another thing is mine has a 2 inch lip on the front, Kinda like Euro bracing but not really, The thing is When my Sea Swirl and my WP25 get rocking, there's no over flow down the front of the glass.

Whats the thickness of your glass, mine is 15 Mil as it was made in Spain,

Not sure what the size is in mil but it is 1/2 inch starfire glass, as for the trim that was unexpected as I had or thought i had specified that as well however it will be covered by the trim on the stand anyways. The trim actually hides the internal glass bracing on the bottom which is a nice feature.

Austin

Small update....plumbing has been started....very slow process....had one bulkhead split on me after I glued several pieces together to make my bean animal drain so had to start all over.

Due to the way my stand is and how I thought I would do everything I had to make some changes on the fly as the back of my stand is sealed and only has holes for feeding the pipes through ( that way the stand supports the weight of the gate valves without using hangers) so I had to find flex pipe which took me forever to find.

Enough complaining here's some quick pictures.

Austin L.

deeznutz

unibob link said:
[quote author=benzzz link=topic=8180.msg87519#msg87519 date=1395949183]

Lets not forget musical chairs as well. lol

[/quote]

deeznutz

How the hell did you split a bulk head?  Rule of thumb, hand tight plus a 1/4 to 1/2 turn :)
I also wet the seal, saliva works best :p

Austin

deeznutz link said:
How the hell did you split a bulk head?  Rule of thumb, hand tight plus a 1/4 to 1/2 turn :)

Maybe I should clarify... When I was glueing the bottom pipe to the bulkhead in the overflow it split right along the plastic mold line pretty sure it was defective and not user error

Austin L.

deeznutz

Yeah sure bud  ::)
Austin link said:
[quote author=deeznutz link=topic=8180.msg87943#msg87943 date=1396231158]

Maybe I should clarify... When I was glueing the bottom pipe to the bulkhead in the overflow it split right along the plastic mold line pretty sure it was defective and not user error

Austin L.

[/quote]

Austin

Getting a little bit closer....leak tested my over flow so far so good.

Austin L.

Austin

Last pipe being done today. Water test to start tonight/tomorrow.

Made the holes bigger for the pipes...didn't want to as the holes were great support for the gate valve weight but made it a little easier to plumb it.

Austin L.

Austin

Tank got wet today...... No detectable leaks but need to fix vibration from return pump/lines.  If all goes well hopefully salt water tomorrow

Austin L.

Austin

Anyone have tips on levelling a stand? Would I just need to shim the corners of the stand? Or go all the way around....figures the spot I choose the floor is out of level.

I know it's the floor because the when I put my level on the floor is out just the same amount as when I put the stand there.

Austin L.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Austin link said:
Anyone have tips on levelling a stand? Would I just need to shim the corners of the stand? Or go all the way around....figures the spot I choose the floor is out of level.

I know it's the floor because the when I put my level on the floor is out just the same amount as when I put the stand there.

Austin L.

Shims work for small corrections yup, I have a couple under my tank, it's still not 100% ( settled when I filled it)
But it works

Austin

Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Austin link=topic=8180.msg88491#msg88491 date=1396627434]

Austin L.

Shims work for small corrections yup, I have a couple under my tank, it's still not 100% ( settled when I filled it)
But it works
[/quote]

What would you call a small correction and did you do just corners or all around where there were gaps?

Austin L.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Austin link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=8180.msg88495#msg88495 date=1396628178]

Austin L.

But it works
[/quote]

What would you call a small correction and did you do just corners or all around where there were gaps?

Austin L.

[/quote]

I would say small is 1" or less I think

Depends on what kind of Stand you have on where you put the shims

Austin

Ok it's out maybe a half in on one side...I put shims in the corners...it's a DIY stand on a 2x4 frame so should I just fill the gaps every few inches for further support?

Austin L.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Austin link=topic=8180.msg88500#msg88500 date=1396628580]

[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=8180.msg88495#msg88495 date=1396628178]

Austin L.

But it works
[/quote]

Austin L.

[/quote]

I would say small is 1" or less I think

Depends on what kind of Stand you have on where you put the shims
[/quote]

Good gosh 1" over the width/span of your stand is bad bad bad lol. I would be levelling floor, not shimming lol.

1/2" isn't as bad but still.