90gal Sps And Zoa Garden (pic Heavy)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I set up my 50 gallon tall for the seahorses today and it has a 25 gallon sump I cut some baffles out to make a fuge and going to work up a scrubber I am going to use a desk type lamp on it with a cfl bulb also that should be ok for 3 "horses" what you think.
ohhh ya all i have on my 45 gal seahorse tank is a fuge and floss thats it and wc every two weeks kept things great till i neglected it a bit during all my work on the big tank but gha is easy enough to fix..... at least for me anyway :) sounds like a happy home for them

I need to reconfigure my sump to add refugium, the scrubber fuse with the refugium or is in the refugium?
No the scrubber sits on the back top of my sump water from overflow comes down drain pipe into scrubber....falls through bio balls below.... over baffles.... past skimmer and reactor pump..... then through refugium section..... over another baffle to return pump and back to tank :) will have to come check it out one day.

Im actually planning on building a custom acrylic sump to fit better right now just got a 30 gal breeder and it is crammed to the t

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
i got the xmen..... very similar the wolverine was sold by the time i made a round of looking and came back around to buy but still a nice peice... next time ill get my wolverine.... maybe riley will scare his and it will grow super fast :)

What do ya need for details? Mine only had one size option because i used scraps.... can get ya measurements if you want or can take a bunch of pics so you can see what i did.... the key is to use the knitting plastic mesh and scuf it up so its really ruff and lay on the bottom. That will give you a good substrate for the algae to grow on and easy to scrape off once it gets too thick. I am losing the tube lights as well and going back to cfl grow bulbs from home depot they work great
Ill see what i can do to make it grow faster lol. You and phil both want a piece haha.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Please do come by and give me some advice, if you can build it for me even better :D, I got a piece of mint strawberry shortcake for ya if you do, already cut and heal :)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well completely changed my sump setup and switched things around a little bit... makes my life and cleaning a little bit easier. now my fuge is a very low flow and my return skimmer and reactor are all located in middle with return pump pulling water from fuge on the far left. algae scrubber still on the right:)

and when i went down to feed the bandits i got a laugh..... turns out my silly clown found himself an ultramatic pure premium massaging bed as he decided to host to the back of my power head lmao i thaught he was dead or stuck but nope was just enjoying a massage. Guess im gonna have to try a small anemone again.
IMG_20150308_112127.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
scrubber test update....

so march 2nd was the last time i tested no3 and po4 so now im at 7.5 weeks with absolutely zero wc only top offs and po4 is at 0.18 and nitrates were below 5 and heres a pic for proof (note to self vial seems slightly darker in pic than in person)

the shocking thing is that daily i feed a pop bottle cap full of omega one pellets prob about 3 cubes of mysis ( i get the one lb flat so rough estimate) twice a week i feed the eel a strip of clam and twice a week i add one capful of aqua vitro fuel and half a syringe of polyp booster

20150312_104909.jpg

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
and thanks to a link k man added i discovered that the reason my phos isnt rising is the amount of sponge i have in my sump is working like a po4 scrubber since my baffles are covered in the little guys

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
added 3 chromis an urchin and a tomini tang last night from mikeb and all are doing well except 1 chomis died but im possitive a damsel had something to do with that judging by his fins

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well today i did a full test and heres what i got.....

api tests
nitrates 0
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
carbonate hardness 110
calcium 480

ph pen
ph 8.2

Salifert
Magnesium 1400

Hanna checker
Phosphate 0.16

:) :) :)
Got 1.5 cups of carbon in my media reactor with a 300 gph pump and gonna have to clean my algae scrubber 50% i want nitrates to register as i get better pe then