A Little Confused On Plumbing.

Easto

I was going to drill my own tank and then do a Bean Animal overflow.

I ordered the 1" bulkheads and hole saw today.

Now, when I look at plumbing and plumbing pieces I am not sure exactly what I need.

exploded-standpipe.jpg

I know this picture breaks it down pretty well, but I just want to make sure I have all the right pieces, especially if I have to order and pay to ship.

An example is a gate valve on ReefSupplies.ca

(1) Spears Gate Valve - 1.5 inch FPT X 1.5 inch FPT
(2)Spears Gate Valve - 1.5 inch SLIP X 1.5 inch SLIP

I am going to assume the first one I would need threaded PVC to thread the valve on both sides? The second one I would need to glue in place?

Then I look at https://www.fishfarmsupply.ca/

1.5" Gate Valve MPT x Slip, ABS <---- Now, what the heck does that mean?

Then these are some more options:
GV1.5 - 1-1/2'' SLIPxSLIP PVC* ---- $14.95
GV1.5ABS - 1-1/2'' SLIPxSLIP ABS* ---- $14.95
GV1.5T - 1-1/2'' PVC FPTxFPT* ---- $15.95
GV1.5ABST - 1-1/2'' ABS FPTxFPT* ---- $15.95
GV1.5SLIPXMPT - 1-1/2'' MPTxSLIP ABS* ---- $15.95

True Union Ball Valve:
TB112 - 1-1/2" ---- $45.52
(These high quality valves are available at low end prices. They feature Teflon® seats that provide easier turning, better sealing and longer valve life. Schedule 80 PVC with EPDM O-rings rated at 150 psi at 72°F. Slip unions are included for all valves. Imported.)

So the Ball Valves are all slip ends, which require cementing?

I need someone to dumb all this down for me. The short forms are killing me trying to figure out what they mean and which ones I am supposed to get.

heath

Distinguished Member
I'm sure that you will find tons of advise here but, if you are not completely sure or comfortable contact SeaLife Central, they are in London and they are awesome. They also carry plumbing parts..Now I am not plumber but, I have always been told to use PVC not ABS ( it leaches)..good luck and welcome to TFT..

4Hummer

The Guys at Fish Farm supply in Elmira will be able to Help you out:

1.5" Gate Valve MPT x Slip, ABS <<<
Means 1.5 inch Gate Valve, MALE PIPE THREAD on one side SLIP on the other. made out of ABS.

FPT: Female Pipe Thread

Last edited:

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
1.5" Gate Valve MPT x Slip means that one side of the valve is a male pipe thread (MPT) and the other side is a glue slip(SLP) fitting.
The valve in the picture is a SLP x SLP.
If you use threaded fittings on the valve I would use female pipe thread (FPT)

Easto

Would you use a true union slip or would you use a true union threaded valve if you had the pick, or does it really matter?

BTW, thanks for the quick replies. Makes much more sense already

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I would use slip, there are less fittings involved, threaded allows you to adapt to different materials that can't be glued.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
The picture shows a lot of reducers and parts which is for using a smaller bulkhead, I used all 1 1/2" fittings and bulkheads and it works fine.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I would definitely go with union valves either way. can take the plumbing apart then... if you glue it all and use non union type valves then that option disappears.

Easto

I planned on doing a Bean Animal.

Full siphon I want to use a union gate valve. The other two I would use union ball valves as well as with the return line.

Easto

I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

Hopefully my return pump arrived this week and I can start curing my pukani in time to get my tank going for the summer.

100gallon

I built this exactly as per beans instructions minus the unions and spears. Went with one ball valve on full siphon. Pm me if you are stuck.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Unions are your best friend when plumbing the tank. They allow you to take anything apart, move, change, clean. Once it's glued, you can't unglue it only cut remove and buy again.

A true Union valve is one less fitting built into a mandatory item.

Myself I like slip and thread bulkheads, slip inside and thread outside, keeps a lower profile with the right fittings afterwards and also allows you to remove all pipe if needed later without removing the bulkheads.

A gate valve allows for finer control then a ball valve does when setting the main drain.

4Hummer

Here are a couple pic's when I did the plumbing on mine. (Don't use ball valve like I did, It's a PITA to fine tune)

Your main siphon should be a straight run into the sump, the less bends, and fittings the better.
The other 2 lines don't matter as much
I did use a union at the top, so I can take things apart,

ignore the crazy long length on the full siphon down pipe. I was just test fitting everything when this pic was taken.