Air Coming Into Sump

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
Hey @jeffopentax!,
Due to both drains acting as "primary drains"
I think it is drawing down more water than the pump is returning. This will result in flushing and the intake of air into the drains.
I will take a look at it when i am in the area again for him. :)
@LIttle Reef Keeper you need to get the system complete ( airline as discussed ) to eliminate any issues related to system "deficiencies". Then if there are still any issues or problems, it will be easier to diagnosis and resolve.
I am still looking for the John guest fitting and pipe, can't seem to find it at my local hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
Ok bud. If you cant find it, I can get it for you.
And I have the proper tap and die set for it as well. You may have to be a little patient but it can be done! ;)
I'm fine with waiting, just pisses me off that I have all these micro bubbles in the tank that won't even be stopped by filter floss...and it's noisy to sleep beside lol

zoomster

U
I think zoomster is gonna have to sort this one out. Tough to figure out without standing in front of it.

That is so true! It is hard to diagnose from miles away!
So, when do you want to meet me there Jeff?
Pretty sure we can work it out for him!

shamous113

If all of the threaded connections are in good shape then you could use a pc of tubing to listen to the joints down the pipe to see if you can hear an air leak, or a change in water sound. I would suspect that its near the top of the siphon because if it was near the bottom it would probably be a water leak.

zoomster

Yes, and if the caps on the top of the pipes are threaded, make sure they are on tight and sealed well, it is very common for air to get sucked into the water column from there.

Pipes

I am still looking for the John guest fitting and pipe, can't seem to find it at my local hardware store.

Check a local water treatment company. I sub to Water Depot and we have all these fittings for R.O.s. Not sure where you are, but there must be a plumber or W.T. company near your town.

Nighthawk26

Has to be coming from one of the top threaded fittings. Any chance that top part of the bulkhead is out of the water, and it's coming in from there? Or even the back side of that bulkhead.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
When the pump pushes more than it drains (restriction due to ball valve being too closed) it will bubble like that. It does it on my frag table if I crank up the pump too much.

Why did you use a ball valve? Change it out for gate. You will never get it perfect with a ball valve.

You can use a 1/4 guest with threads from lowes. It's fine.

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
When the pump pushes more than it drains (restriction due to ball valve being too closed) it will bubble like that. It does it on my frag table if I crank up the pump too much.

Why did you use a ball valve? Change it out for gate. You will never get it perfect with a ball valve.
I bought the set-up from someone, as I said above. I didn't know there was a difference until recently.

Nighthawk26

To reef keepers point about ball vs gate, literally what is an almost not even visible turn on my gate valve will make my drain/return balance completely different. A ball valve is not nearly as controllable. I'm not sure how I understand why it would create bubbles, but if he says it does, I suppose it does.