Anyone built an outdoor fireplace??

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Heading to patene building products tomorrow to scope out some firebrick and mortar, just wondering if anyone else has built an actual fireplace outdoors. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
nexusnight link said:
Ive done a few actually. Gas inserts and wood burning. Not to big a deal really.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Any tips on getting the firebrick?  I assume patene is going to charge me an arm and a leg...

I plan to cap it in castle brick(?) pavers to match the other stonework I have in the backyard, but figure I need a pretty solid firebox.  Exploding masonry doesn't get my juices flowing.  Well actually it could get my juices flowing pretty good.  :) 

nexusnight

Ur masonry wont explode bit the mortar will crumble in time. Id suggest a steel box/liner and then cover it up with ir stone. The mortar is the most important. Maybe i should get over there soon and checkout those leds

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
peatene has the proper firebrick for like $2 a brick, and the right mortar.  /If they have it, I'll get a proper chimney liner, I don't want to use steel, since they rust to pieces over time. 

Peter, I'm making one of these, not a firepit.  I used to use steel washing machine drums for firepits, but damn I hate the smoke hitting me in the face (I use an iron chiminea thing now, but they don't sell my kind any more).
millenium-pictures-067.jpg

nexusnight

Thats a good deal really. Just be sure when u do the firebrick use minimal mortar and aim for no spaces between the bricks. U want the bricks to take the heat and not tje mortar

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
That's a sweet setup, add in a small pizza oven area above the main opening.. That'd be baller

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
That's a sweet setup, add in a small pizza oven area above the main opening.. That'd be baller

toying with the idea, since the FD wants it to be able to be used as a cookstove of some sort...but it adds to the complexity :)

GirDance

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=5291.msg49995#msg49995 date=1367723826]

toying with the idea, since the FD wants it to be able to be used as a cookstove of some sort...but it adds to the complexity :)
[/quote]

Keep some skewers and hotdogs handy at all times and anything can double as a cooking surface :)  We have the same bylaws here, but no one seems to follow them.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
GirDance link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=5291.msg50001#msg50001 date=1367730546]

[/quote]

Keep some skewers and hotdogs handy at all times and anything can double as a cooking surface :)  We have the same bylaws here, but no one seems to follow them.
[/quote]

Until an angry neighbour calls on you.  I only have fires around here when it's hot and everyone has their windows closed and AC on, otherwise they say I 'stink up the place' (I assume they are talking about my fires).

GirDance

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=GirDance link=topic=5291.msg50017#msg50017 date=1367764416]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Until an angry neighbour calls on you.  I only have fires around here when it's hot and everyone has their windows closed and AC on, otherwise they say I 'stink up the place' (I assume they are talking about my fires).
[/quote]

Now that is unfortunate!  We were worried about it here, but it turns out the neighbours behind, beside and across the road all have them nightly during the summer. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
GirDance link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=5291.msg50022#msg50022 date=1367766605]
[quote author=GirDance link=topic=5291.msg50017#msg50017 date=1367764416]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now that is unfortunate!  We were worried about it here, but it turns out the neighbours behind, beside and across the road all have them nightly during the summer.
[/quote]

I've tried to get all the neighbours onto having fires, but most of them went out and got those little gas powered ones (I have to admit I have one too for the nights I really want a fire without the smoke) :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
61fP7GCQ6IL._SX385_.jpg

Anyone know where to get that stuff in veneer?  Costco used to have boxes of it, but couldn't find it (and they change stock all the time).  Olympia says they don't have it... RONA cleared a bunch out a while back... ??