Banned from GHL Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I have been the owner of a GHL profilux 3 as well as additional add ons such as expansion box, powerbars, SMS module, touch, tunze cables, sensors, doser, etc..... For almost one year now. I have been very concerned as of late with the support, zero firmware updates, and false promises coming from ghl. To be honest their support is BRUTAL in North America and after numerous people posting problems and crashes including myself without seeing any kind of serious response from ghl I began to get angry as did others.....I have at least $3500 invested in ghl product and I think it is fair for me to criticize their products and report back to them with feedback. I was told this unit can easily accomplish ato and yet I still cannot get the p3 to do this properly because they forgot to have the option to disable sensors or alarms during feedpause causing everything to crash. And this is just the beginning of the problems....it cannot even do an auto DST change....it failed me and caused rodi water to flow into system for six hours once after only using the ato for me week....numerous issues! And no support! Still awaiting answers on how to setup so I can access my p3 over the net from anywhere.....and I have been waiting for almost one year! Lots of people waiting forever for fixes and support! Me and other ghl consumers got angry and started posting our opinions and feedback on their forum....we also pointed out obvious problems that need to be fixed! At first GHL just started deleting many posts or threads by us that were in anyway negative or criticizing their product/support. GHL attempted to make excuses for their lack of support and continued to defend their product clamping these are minor issues or that they cannot afford to fix.....really?!?!
We continued to hound them and today I, along with others, were banned from their forum! This is how they treat customers! aqua digital here in Canada is directly associated with ghl and I have absolutely nothing but negative feedback and anger directed towards them! Please take this as a warning before buying ghl.....talk to an existing customer in North America first! I would advise you try apex to start......
I am considering starting a thread maybe on here or RC where I will setup both the p3 and the apex on my system to compare the two controllers for the world to see....
Anyways, just thought I would share my anger and frustration with ghl on here for everyone to see since they like to keep us profilux users quiet so they can continue to believe their controller is without flaws and will do anything!!!! LIES LIES LIES BUYER BEWARE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Don't know anything about it, but the apex works really well, their customer service is good and they just did a firmware update.  In fact, I would say that the apex single handedly saved my tank.  I don't think I could run an sps tank without it.  Maybe, but it would be a lot harder. 

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Your not benner are you? LOL

While I do agree with you (on some points), the Profilux is very capable of doing all those things you mentioned.  It is aweful that you couldn't get the help you needed, this is unacceptable, especially for a 2k controller.

I have run an ATO with no issues for over 2 years now, I also run the marinemad app and I am able to view all my socket functions and see parameters on my Iphone with this app. (of course this app isn't available anymore). I would be more then happy to give you a hand, if help is what you are looking for.

For some of us, a controller is an absolute MUST due to our situation(s).  However, it is extremely important that you setup multiple fail safe's and continue to monitor your tank for any changes.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Toy for me, but a very useful toy :)

Love the Apex, maybe when the Vertex cerebra comes out I will switch but until then this is my recommendation for a controller. 

Shitty buzz on the Ban :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
This is why i dont have a controller....imo not needed and maybe a nice to have toy but they can have bugs too.

Heh, most of us don't have an electrical room devoted to our tanks Darryl.  A controller helps a LOT when the tank is self contained...you should put a disclaimer on your comment...  :)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I know they can be useful and helpful and if i had the option to start over i would probably have one but they aren't needed.  I dont have anything special running things...just timers.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
I know they can be useful and helpful and if i had the option to start over i would probably have one but they aren't needed.  I dont have anything special running things...just timers.

If you had one you would have known your power had been off at some point when you were away, you almost had a little catastrophe...

Mine tells me when my ato resevoir is empty (I don't have plumbing near the tank), runs the light cycles on the tank, runs the ato pump, makes sure that one of the two heaters doesn't malfunction and cook or freeze the tank.  emails me if the power has been off, or if the level in the sump is too high (meaning a return pump is off, or something else is wrong).  Checks the PH in the tank before turning on my dosers (which it runs).  One switch shuts everything down for feeding/cleaning.  I don't have to have timers wired in...for me, they are a necessity.  :shrug

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
If you had one you would have known your power had been off at some point when you were away, you almost had a little catastrophe...

Mine tells me when my ato resevoir is empty (I don't have plumbing near the tank), runs the light cycles on the tank, runs the ato pump, makes sure that one of the two heaters doesn't malfunction and cook or freeze the tank.  emails me if the power has been off, or if the level in the sump is too high (meaning a return pump is off, or something else is wrong).  Checks the PH in the tank before turning on my dosers (which it runs).  One switch shuts everything down for feeding/cleaning.  I don't have to have timers wired in...for me, they are a necessity.  :shrug

hey salty do you mind me asking what yours cost? ive been think about getting one.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3673.msg31903#msg31903 date=1354374159]

[/quote]

agree totally, they are a life saver, I wouldn't run any tank without one now that I have one. they are a bit tough to program but once you get the hang of it its simple, theres a lot of online support for the apex models and finding someone to help is really easy. heres a good site to see a few apex setups in action, you can also look at others programming which was awesome for me, this is how I learned about all the fail safes you should have built in (delayed starts, if statements, etc)  http://www.reeftronics.net/

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3673.msg31906#msg31906 date=1354376429]

[/quote]

agree totally, they are a life saver, I wouldn't run any tank without one now that I have one. they are a bit tough to program but once you get the hang of it its simple, theres a lot of online support for the apex models and finding someone to help is really easy. heres a good site to see a few apex setups in action, you can also look at others programming which was awesome for me, this is how I learned about all the fail safes you should have built in (delayed starts, if statements, etc)  http://www.reeftronics.net/
[/quote]

I wasn't aware of that site, I just signed up.  I've been wanting to get my apex truly online for a while now.  Would make me feel WAY better if I was in Mexico and I could check in and SEE my tank from the beach in the Mayan :)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:

[/quote]I have gotten by with out one for over seven years so I will stick to my guns and say they are not "needed".  Helpful, useful, sure...but not absolutely necessary.

I probably wouldnt have known that the power went out because I was in the US and didnt have my cell.  That and the power going out didnt cause a problem with the tank per say (I have a large UPS for the return pump) but the skimmer and bio-pellets/carbon/gfo run on stupid sicce 2500 pumps that are hit and miss for restarting.  If anything I should replace those pumps before a controller.  I don't think my tank was ever in danger of crashing from this though and I'm aware of all the things that can go wrong....part of being a good reefer is to think of worse case scenarios.

As a note I dont think its that advantageous to monitor pH, I have a temperature controller and ATO system that I trust and the rest is on timers.

The only thing I would like from a controller that I can't do know is get email notifications if something is up.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I would have to agree with Darryl when he says that you don't need one.....lots are running great tanks without.....I am away a lot and they are peace of mind.....
I posted on RC demanding answers from ghl as to why we were banned. I am thinking about going apex......

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Petercar link said:
I got my apex the full one at bills at year end sale.  499

Great deal!

You really can't go wrong, if you factor in the price of timers, powerbars, and extention cords.
An Apex Jr. is only 150 - controllable outlets with internet connectivity- can use the latest APEX firmware.
The perfect stocking stuffer!!!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I would recommend the apex to anyone before profilux.....I bet apex does everything profilux does minus hooking up slave doser.....
I am wanting to run both on my tank side by side to compare.....I figure I already have the much more expensive one so why not invest a little more and try apex too......maybe bill can hook me up with a sweet end of the year deal on apex!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=3673.msg31912#msg31912 date=1354378430]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3673.msg31906#msg31906 date=1354376429]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wasn't aware of that site, I just signed up.  I've been wanting to get my apex truly online for a while now.  Would make me feel WAY better if I was in Mexico and I could check in and SEE my tank from the beach in the Mayan :)
[/quote]

totally, on that reeftronics website there is a list of compatable cameras so you know what to buy if you want working video with your apex, im assuming u aren't online is because of port forwarding? theres some awesome guides online that simplify it and you can probably find one for your exact router model, another nice thing is  you can have it send an email alerts to 2 different email accounts, so for one I have my email address and the other goes to 555-123-4567@msg.telus.com so I get a txt message which Is nice. you can also set timers to send u status updates daily at specific times, nice if you travel a lot.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
I got duke  to come over and set mine up  I bought one of those ip cameras from futureshop for 69 bucks. And we have it set up in my apex main page  and i can look at all that goin on in my apx amd also see the tank thru the camera  all on my ipad  Thanks duke  now i haev to go over aand get my mail with the other 3 probes and the module

Status
Not open for further replies.