Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3673.msg31906#msg31906 date=1354376429]
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3673.msg31903#msg31903 date=1354374159]
I know they can be useful and helpful and if i had the option to start over i would probably have one but they aren't needed.  I dont have anything special running things...just timers.

If you had one you would have known your power had been off at some point when you were away, you almost had a little catastrophe...

Mine tells me when my ato resevoir is empty (I don't have plumbing near the tank), runs the light cycles on the tank, runs the ato pump, makes sure that one of the two heaters doesn't malfunction and cook or freeze the tank.  emails me if the power has been off, or if the level in the sump is too high (meaning a return pump is off, or something else is wrong).  Checks the PH in the tank before turning on my dosers (which it runs).  One switch shuts everything down for feeding/cleaning.  I don't have to have timers wired in...for me, they are a necessity.  :shrug
[/quote]I have gotten by with out one for over seven years so I will stick to my guns and say they are not "needed".  Helpful, useful, sure...but not absolutely necessary.

I probably wouldnt have known that the power went out because I was in the US and didnt have my cell.  That and the power going out didnt cause a problem with the tank per say (I have a large UPS for the return pump) but the skimmer and bio-pellets/carbon/gfo run on stupid sicce 2500 pumps that are hit and miss for restarting.  If anything I should replace those pumps before a controller.  I don't think my tank was ever in danger of crashing from this though and I'm aware of all the things that can go wrong....part of being a good reefer is to think of worse case scenarios.

As a note I dont think its that advantageous to monitor pH, I have a temperature controller and ATO system that I trust and the rest is on timers.

The only thing I would like from a controller that I can't do know is get email notifications if something is up.
[/quote]

There's my point again.  You have a dedicated room, custom built, plumbed and wired.  You have timers for lights, a controller for temp, probably a programmable doser, a separate ATO.  In other words what you're saying is that if you have all the items separate then you don't need a tank controller.  While I certainly can't argue that your setup is very good, it's certainly not typical!  The apex can take all the stuff you have and put it all together in a tiny little black box...and add email notifications.  How can someone have a similar setup to yours without buiding from scratch or doing a renovation? :)

I know your thoughts on PH, but if my PH is for some reason at 8.4 I don't want it dosing in a whole whack of alk and putting it up over 9.  I don't know why but for about a week this year I was running 8.5 and only dropping to 8.3 at night.  In fact the tank notifies me if I hit 8.4.  I did a few water changes and brought it back down, no idea what caused it, I even went so far as cleaning and re-calibrating the probe and it was still high (ORP was at a record low at the time too, it was weird).

So in short, if I had your setup there is a good chance I wouldn't see the need for an apex, but for a tank all on its own in the living room, they are godsends. 

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
It really only amounts to a bunch of digital timers, float switches, solenoids and ranco temp controller.  Nothing special IMO but it works.

Like I said if I started from scratch I would probably buy a controller but all Im saying is there are ways to do most things with out a controller.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I just want to say thank you to this forum for allowing me to express my thought and experience with the ghl profilux and its associated products and support. My comments are not welcome on any other forum but here.....I have been banned from both ghl forums and reefcentral....
I have finally been able to prove this past weekend that the Plc functions within the ghl profilux controller do not operate as they should according to Boolean algebra.....the "and" gate will function as an "or" gate......extremely confusing to users especially when ghl continues to deny this and yet it is quite obvious.....I really do not care to join back to any of these forums.....I just don't see the point when I am actually learning faster without the lies ghl spreads throughout their forums.....it is still a sad day for all ghl users.....don't be fooled by their high prices or false claims people like I was!

Thank you once again fragtank!
A very dedicated reefer, Ben.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.