Barry's 120 Gallon Reef

S

Siderjan

teebone110 link said:
If you are concerned about the scratches and they aren't too deep, maybe you can buff them out with cerium oxide.

Thanks for the info teebone.  We have that stuff at the shop.  They are too deep to use it.  I'm not too worried about them since that side of the aquarium is going to up against a wall.

S

Siderjan

Neopimp link said:
I really hope I never take the time to lay out everythign I have spent on a single piece of paper ... its scary

I did this for the first 6 months of my 55.  It was scary...so I stopped.

S

Siderjan

Did some more work on the overflows today.

Slits are all cut out.
0010-SlitsCut.jpg

Ready to take them to work tomorrow and bend them.
0011-ReadytoBend.jpg

Now to wait for my Christmas bonus before I can go any further with this.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
just take out a loan for what you figure you will need,,, then double it

S

Siderjan

Neopimp link said:
just take out a loan for what you figure you will need,,, then double it

LOL!!  I have an ex-wife that took my credit down the $h!tter.  I like doing it a little at a time.  That way it takes longer and I get what I want without it costing a lot at once.

S

Siderjan

I bent the overflow's tonight.  I just have to cut 4" off each side of each one so they don't take up too much room.  I think Blob is coming over this weekend to re-seal the tank so I might be able to put them in then.  I did find out that my current drain is 1 1/2".  Just picked up and length of PVC, a couple elbows and a male fitting.  I needed the so I could figure out how much to cut off the acrylic.

0012-Overflows1.jpg

0013-Overflows2.jpg

0014-Overflows3.jpg

0015-Overflows4.jpg

P

phi delt reefer

are those pics after the cuts or before the 4" cuts. The overflows are way to big man. you are wasting valuable coral space and they serve no benefit in being that big. I would consult with Blob when he comes over, you may end up triming them much more.

looks good though, you should sell some pre made ones to the kids on nano-reef!

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya those things are monstrous..try get your plumbing in place, and then trim them back as much as possible.

S

Siderjan

Blob came over and re-sealed my tank this afternoon.  Bulkheads will be here next weekend.

0016-Resealed.jpg

S

Siderjan

With the silicone still drying, and my garage almost all cleaned up. (Summer item put back up on the shelves.) I was a little bored so I decided to plumb the only overflow I have a hole drilled for.  I went for the same style I have on my 55 just made it a little taller so I didn't have to listen to the water falling over the edge of the Reservoir.

0017-Overflow1-1.jpg

Here's a view of the holes I drilled in the sides and top of it.

0018-Overflow1-2.jpg

These next 2 are for the dimensions the acrylic pieces are going to be cut down to.  6" from the back, and 8" from the side.  Should leave lots of room for corals.

0019-Overflow1-3.jpg

0020-Overflow1-4.jpg

I going to make the other side the same way when I get the holes drilled.  I might do that next weekend if I have time.

S

Siderjan

Overflow cover has been cut down.  Just have to silicone it in place.

0021-Overflow1-5.jpg

0022-Overflow1-6.jpg

P

phi delt reefer

Siderjan link said:
[quote author=Siderjan link=topic=1421.msg10750#msg10750 date=1319154787]
I just have to cut 4\" off each side of each one so they don't take up too much room.
[/quote]

Siderjan link said:
These next 2 are for the dimensions the acrylic pieces are going to be cut down to.  6\" from the back, and 8\" from the side.  Should leave lots of room for corals.

HA! Told you so! :D  :p  ;)

phi delt reefer link said:
are those pics after the cuts or before the 4\" cuts. The overflows are way to big man. you are wasting valuable coral space and they serve no benefit in being that big. I would consult with Blob when he comes over, you may end up triming them much more.

S

Siderjan

Picked up my bulkheads yesterday.  2 - 1 1/2" for overflows and 2 - 1" for returns.  I was going to drill it today but I'll wait until next weekend to do that.

0023-NewBulkheads.jpg

S

Siderjan

With Kim in Florida, I got a chance to do some drilling today on the tank.  All the holes are now drilled.  Took a whole 20 minutes from start to finish drilling the 3 holes.

Here's the second overflow marked out.  I had to drill this one using a hand drill since the press wouldn't fit where I wanted the hole drilled.
0024-NewoverflowDrawnOut.jpg

A little window tape to hold the water and diamond dust in place.
0025-DamisBuilt.jpg

Add the diamond dust.
0026-DiamondDustAdded.jpg

Finished in 5 minutes with the drill just a smokin'.  Guess little hand drills aren't ment for drilling 2 1/2" holes in 1/2" glass.
0027-HoleDrilled.jpg

Second overflow in place.
0028-BulkheadFits.jpg

0029-ReadyforCover.jpg

The 2 returns where easier to drill since the drill press just fit.  All setup and ready to drill.
0030-ReadytoDrillReturns.jpg

Drill running high speed.
0031-DrillingReturns.jpg

10 minutes later and both 2" holes are drilled.
0032-ReturnsDrilled.jpg

Bulkheads fit.  About an 1/8" gap around them, but the seal covers the area.
0033-BulkheadsIn.jpg

Tomorrow I'll cut the other overflow cover and silicone it in place.

P

phi delt reefer

thats some thick ass glass!

nice clean drilling man!

S

Siderjan

phi delt reefer link said:
thats some thick ass glass!

nice clean drilling man!

Thanks Phi!  The one I did by hand has a big shale in it, but nothing some silicone can't fix.