Ben's Mixed Reef Tank

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Did you get that blue and green from Nagy?  I think I have one similar, it may be the blue green tenuis.  ?

Nah, both these are from Fragalot... I've had them for quite a while but just lately have they been noticeably taking off with growth and colour.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
You know what.....the one I got might have been from fragalot at the fragswap.... it is hairy and blue tips have started appearing.  I should snap a pic.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I've got a few nice pieces from Fragalot over the years.... Haven't been in quite a whole so I will be interested to see what burc brings to London this year.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Ok, so I decided to post up some of my own photos.....mostly of pieces I have had for quite a while. I'm using the Nikkor 18-55mm lens that came with. I am saving up for a macro.... :)
I'm shooting in raw and then editing a little with the Nikon s/w that came with it....I m not really that happy to be honest with my photos lol.... Does anyone else shoot with a similar lens or does everyone use a macro?

RH Blue Devil (My first acro) Any ideas on species? I thought maybe a Austera but IDK....will develop gold base/body in lower light....I have RR Aussie Gold Austera and that Austera body/growth structure looks much different IMO....

RHBlueDevil_zpsc3c7906f.jpg

Yellow Efflo

RHYellowEfflo_zpscc062c1e.jpg

RHYellowEfflo2_zps7db8cb3c.jpg

Paris Hilton Milli

ParisHiltonMilli_zps61098a68.jpg

Bonsai

RHBonsai_zpsa267fd7c.jpg

TriColour

RHTricolour_zpsd55bec80.jpg

RHTricolour2_zps88c6841e.jpg

BIGSHOW Aussie Milli

BSAussieMilli_zpsc11a3622.jpg

MRT Crazy Orange Nodosa

MRTCrazyOrangeNodosa_zps4178a807.jpg

RR Aussie Orange Torch (lineage to BIGSHOW)

RRAussieOrangeTorch_zps27ae770d.jpg

Wellso (well that's what I call him anyways lol....one of my oldest corals from Bill@IA)

IAWellso2_zpsd3456dbb.jpg

IAWellso_zps681c7822.jpg

Duncans (another long time piece from Burc at Fragalot)

FALDendros_zps6343338f.jpg

Raptors Peace Favia

RHRaptorsPeace_zps8081f46e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
Ok, so I decided to post up some of my own photos.....mostly of pieces I have had for quite a while. I'm using the Nikkor 18-55mm lens that came with. I am saving up for a macro.... :)
I'm shooting in raw and then editing a little with the Nikon s/w that came with it....I m not really that happy to be honest with my photos lol.... Does anyone else shoot with a similar lens or does everyone use a macro?

they look like great photos if u ask me.. do you use a tripod? a tripod is an absolute must if you want to get sharp images.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
They look awesome Ben. I never use tripod and just try to keep things steady lol. But for crisp photos a tripod is a must.

Also my glass is never clean enough to shoot through so I find all my photos are top down lol

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Thanks guys! Nope, no tripod.... Just my shaky hands lol
I'm gonna go on the hunt for one now with a shutter release. I would imagine this would become more of a must have when using a macro lens? Although, don't you use a macro most of the time, jerry? Without tripod too? What software are you two guys using??
I haven't taken any top down photos yet to post on here.... Although I must say that I love viewing my acros from the top down....definitely better than side view through glass :)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Yes I use 90mm macro with no tripod. Turning off all pumps and return, my shutter speed is minimum 1/200 when I take top down photos, F10-13 depending on subject size, and AUTO ISO with a limit at 1600. I import into lightroom, and usually just turn the colour balance to around +40 opposite blue side (i think towards the yellow it is in lightroom). Camera set at 10,000k (highest limit on camera without doing a manual white balance)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
unibob link said:
Yes I use 90mm macro with no tripod. Turning off all pumps and return, my shutter speed is minimum 1/200 when I take top down photos, F10-13 depending on subject size, and AUTO ISO with a limit at 1600. I import into lightroom, and usually just turn the colour balance to around +40 opposite blue side (i think towards the yellow it is in lightroom). Camera set at 10,000k (highest limit on camera without doing a manual white balance)

So you are not shooting in RAW then jerry?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i hand shoot alot of photos too, but a tripod is they way to go, i shoot an 18-55mm lens and a 50mm prime lens myself. you can skip the need for the remote shutter by using the built in shutter delay, if im tripod shooting coral shots, i always use the 2 second delay, this doesnt work for fish obviously tho. i post process in lightroom, mostly to resize and crop. i also make sure my white balance is set correctly on the camera via the custom white balance settings too, this helps a bunch with capturing the proper colors of everything imo.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Here's a few more photos.....I love snowed in weekends! :)

Ricordia

Ricordia2_zpsb9fd7288.jpg

Ricordia_zps0f1726a5.jpg

BIZARRO Cyphastrea .... The craziest cyphastrea I've seen yet! :)

BizzarroCyphastrea_zps02a1ebfb.jpg

Radioactive Favia

RadioactiveFavia_zpsaae9dbe7.jpg

Buzzkill Zoas ...... My second frag ever of zoos

RHBuzzkills_zps4e4c4baf.jpg

BIGSHOW Montipora Danae ... Very sweet monti from Dave!

BSPalawensis_zps5501f6b7.jpg

IA Pokerstar Monti

PokerstarMonti_zps82691c18.jpg

Nuclear Favia .... I've had this for a while but it doesn't seem to grow a lot :(

NuclearFavia_zps13211ede.jpg

Lady in Pink .....My third frag ever of zoos

LadyinPink_zpsa6f21b29.jpg

Purple Stunner Chalice ..... Resembles the Hollywood Stunner in shape/growth but all purple colour variations instead

RHPurpleStunner_zpsd3c84c59.jpg

Fire & Ice Milli ..... This is my first Milli

FireampIceMilli2_zps04a30744.jpg

FireampIceMilli_zps208c4c56.jpg

MRT Green Albro Stag.... A must have from the MRT Collection....I think Darryl later gave it away or something

MRTGreenAlbroStag2_zps295d6d3d.jpg

MRTGreenAlbroStag_zps6d414f09.jpg

IA Triple Threat.... My favourite chalice from Bill :)

TripleThreat_zpsda73f25e.jpg

curiousphil

Super Active Member
All I can say is that they are :drool: worthy and I wish I had some rofl.  Long polyps... longish branches... kina fits the typical mille description but theres so many species of acro lol hard to say lol.  Take pics with the polyps retracted.  The key to species identification is corralite shape.

(this was in response to your post about the two unknown acros before i saw there was a whole nother page of posts)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
curiousphil link said:
All I can say is that they are :drool: worthy and I wish I had some rofl.  Long polyps... longish branches... kina fits the typical mille description but theres so many species of acro lol hard to say lol.  Take pics with the polyps retracted.  The key to species identification is corralite shape.

(this was in response to your post about the two unknown acros before i saw there was a whole nother page of posts)

I don't think they are millis... If you look at the polyps they are much different than a milli or even prostrata polyps IMO....I believe the one to be a horrida but not sure about the other multi coloured one.... Glen thinks he got the same one from FAL and promised to post up some pics ;)
Oh, and yea you gotta keep up here Phil....lol... I had a lot of free time this weekend so I was able to catch up on my tank thread. There's a few more I'd like to try to capture and post up soon.... I'm still trying to get a good pic of my Red Planet Acro.... So stay tuned :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
curiousphil link said:

Thanks! I'm very happy with that photo!! It captured the beauty of that chalice perfectly.... Looks identical to what I am seeing here :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Well, I'm pretty sure I messed up a coral ID again.... Can't believe you guys aren't catching this!! Lol
Although BIGSHOW hasn't confirmed or PMd me back about it yet, I'm positive what I originally listed as BIGSHOW Palawensis is not at all.... And was actually sold to me as a monti....in fact it was listed as a monti if I look waaaay back to some of Dave's very first items for sale.... I looked into it once before and I am almost positive it is a Montipora Verrucosa. The only Palawensis I can go from is the ATL Appleberry and it encrusts....whereas this one does not. When I first got it from BIGSHOW it was a little bit brighter than it is now....it's a little bit browner now and the blue polyps are not as extended or as bright. However, these appear to all be characteristics of a true Verrucosa....

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
Pretty sure that is the RR Nauti Spiral

Hmmmm.... I don't think it is dave.... I have the RR Nauti Spiral  and it looks different IMO.
I will try to post a pic of mine sometime so we can compare.... Thanks for your input Dave!!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
Pretty sure that is the RR Nauti Spiral
Dave, go back and look at your post #973.... It's that monti.... Perhaps a Danae species? Danae sounds sooo familiar.... In your post #974 is the nauti spiral. I never got my rr nauti spiral from you but mine does look the same as most I see here locally. Your nauti spiral looks much more like a undata or Confusa IMO.... Mine kinda looks more like a foliosa species...let me know your thoughts Dave... It's appreciated!