Boga's LED build

Boga

In progress of building my LED fixtures for the new 125 gal DT. Right now I am running T5's from the old 55 g setup :?. I know!

I will use an exhaust fan to move the air through four square tubes (1x1”, 30" long). The tubes are connected to a collector box, where the fan is pulling the hot air out. There are going to be two fixtures covering more than 60 inches in length.

Materials for each fixture:
- Long tubes: aluminum square tube 1x1”, 0.096” wall thickness, 30” long, 4 pcs.
- Short spacers: aluminum square tube 1x1”, 0.096” wall thickness, 3” long, 9 pcs.
- Box: 1/8 aluminum plate, 1/8 1x1” channel.
- the parts are going to be glued with thermal paste and reinforced with metal screws.
- LED's will be secured with bolts. I will use thermal compound Artic Silver 5.
- 14 Royal Blue LED’s.
- 14 White Cool LED’s.
- 4 or 5 UV LED’s.
- 1 or 2 Red, 1 or 2 Green LED’s.
- 3 Mean Well ELN-60-48P dimmable drivers.
- 4 lunar LED's + driver.
- fan: 3.5” dia, 12V DC

Fan side. Fan not shown in picture for clarity.

LED Side.

Schematic: How it works or let's be fair - how it should work. 8)

Did some progress on the driver's board. One empty spot for possible future development.

Main tubes glued and reinforced. The "C" channel before bending (to form the collector box).

"C" channel during bending operation. Used soldering torch to aid in bending the aluminum alloy.

Quick fit up. Part was still hot. I will adjust the size after it cools off.

Boga

In progress of building my LED fixtures for the new 125 gal DT. Right now I am running T5's from the old 55 g setup :?. I know!

I will use an exhaust fan to move the air through four square tubes (1x1”, 30" long). The tubes are connected to a collector box, where the fan is pulling the hot air out. There are going to be two fixtures covering more than 60 inches in length.

Materials for each fixture:
- Long tubes: aluminum square tube 1x1”, 0.096” wall thickness, 30” long, 4 pcs.
- Short spacers: aluminum square tube 1x1”, 0.096” wall thickness, 3” long, 9 pcs.
- Box: 1/8 aluminum plate, 1/8 1x1” channel.
- the parts are going to be glued with thermal paste and reinforced with metal screws.
- LED's will be secured with bolts. I will use thermal compound Artic Silver 5.
- 14 Royal Blue LED’s.
- 14 White Cool LED’s.
- 4 or 5 UV LED’s.
- 1 or 2 Red, 1 or 2 Green LED’s.
- 3 Mean Well ELN-60-48P dimmable drivers.
- 4 lunar LED's + driver.
- fan: 3.5” dia, 12V DC

Fan side. Fan not shown in picture for clarity.

LED Side.

Schematic: How it works or let's be fair - how it should work. 8)

Did some progress on the driver's board. One empty spot for possible future development.

Main tubes glued and reinforced. The "C" channel before bending (to form the collector box).

"C" channel during bending operation. Used soldering torch to aid in bending the aluminum alloy.

Quick fit up. Part was still hot. I will adjust the size after it cools off.

MrHermit85

Awesome build so far, can see you did a lot of planning! I am curious to see how the hot air collector box works as its a cool idea. I wish I used u channel for my leds, I used heatsinks and now my hood weighs a ton!!! Are you going all led?

MrHermit85

Awesome build so far, can see you did a lot of planning! I am curious to see how the hot air collector box works as its a cool idea. I wish I used u channel for my leds, I used heatsinks and now my hood weighs a ton!!! Are you going all led?

AdamS

Looks like you have done a lot of planning, and are doing a nice job on the build.

Are you planning on keeping SPS? You would need many more LEDs to keep SPS.

AdamS

Looks like you have done a lot of planning, and are doing a nice job on the build.

Boga

Thanks.

I am curious to see how the hot air collector box works as its a cool idea. I wish I used u channel for my leds, I used heatsinks and now my hood weighs a ton!!! Are you going all led?

I am trying to maximize the heat removed by convection, so I can put more amperage through the LED's. Wheight was another factor, but this time because I did not have a benchmark, I went for thicker material. Going all LED for now.

I know that I am on the short side for SPS. It was designed for LPS and low demanding SPS. Soone or later I will go to SPS. If that is the case, plan B is to remove some short spacers and add long tubes with LED's. Plan C is to add more LED's on the same tubes. I should have have enough spacing.

Boga

Thanks.

I am curious to see how the hot air collector box works as its a cool idea. I wish I used u channel for my leds, I used heatsinks and now my hood weighs a ton!!! Are you going all led?

I am trying to maximize the heat removed by convection, so I can put more amperage through the LED's. Wheight was another factor, but this time because I did not have a benchmark, I went for thicker material. Going all LED for now.

I know that I am on the short side for SPS. It was designed for LPS and low demanding SPS. Soone or later I will go to SPS. If that is the case, plan B is to remove some short spacers and add long tubes with LED's. Plan C is to add more LED's on the same tubes. I should have have enough spacing.

Boga

Did some work for the last couple days.

Marked LED holes, drilled 7/64" and tapped with 6-32.

Verified one LED for fit-up.

Assembled the bottom box plate and the "C" channel.

Close view of the above box.

Drilled 1/2" through holes to connect each tube with the air collector box.

Top view of the assembly.

Cleaned up metal chips and oils with the garden hose and left it outside to dry out. Next step is painting.

Boga

Did some work for the last couple days.

Marked LED holes, drilled 7/64" and tapped with 6-32.

Verified one LED for fit-up.

Assembled the bottom box plate and the "C" channel.

Close view of the above box.

Drilled 1/2" through holes to connect each tube with the air collector box.

Top view of the assembly.

Cleaned up metal chips and oils with the garden hose and left it outside to dry out. Next step is painting.

AdamS

I like your ideas. Make sure you dont paint any of the inside where the air is flowing.

Are you going to put some sort of speed control on the fan to control air noise?

AdamS

I like your ideas. Make sure you dont paint any of the inside where the air is flowing.

Are you going to put some sort of speed control on the fan to control air noise?

MrHermit85

Wow!!! I wish there was an emoticon for a slow clap as your build looks really awesome. I get the suction idea now, in your sketch there were no holes for the air to be pulled through so I was confused as to how the entire length of  channelling was going to be cooled. Your idea is like a cleaner 'Steves leds' idea with the suction which is really awesome.

I use the same moonlights from rapidled, they are really bright. How many are you planning to use? I think I read 4 but I see two of there drivers there? Was also wondering whether you were planning to use rubber washers to avoid the metal screws for the leds making contact with the live points on the led stars?

I cant wait to see this over your tank!

MrHermit85

Wow!!! I wish there was an emoticon for a slow clap as your build looks really awesome. I get the suction idea now, in your sketch there were no holes for the air to be pulled through so I was confused as to how the entire length of  channelling was going to be cooled. Your idea is like a cleaner 'Steves leds' idea with the suction which is really awesome.

I use the same moonlights from rapidled, they are really bright. How many are you planning to use? I think I read 4 but I see two of there drivers there? Was also wondering whether you were planning to use rubber washers to avoid the metal screws for the leds making contact with the live points on the led stars?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
MrHermit85 link said:

Ask and you shall receive... :slowclap:

Code:
:slowclap:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
MrHermit85 link said:

Ask and you shall receive... :slowclap:

Code:
:slowclap: