Boga's LED build

Boga

Flazky link said:
I would put some kind of padding between the fan and the metal, as I have had many cases where the screws became loose over time and the vibration noises from the fan wiggling on the fixture drove me nuts.

Just my 2 cents

I agree. You are right. I've just tried weather striping and sponge cloth. Both interfered with the fan movement. Need something like 1 mm thick. I'm out of ideas.

Wondering if four patches of silicone at the four corners would do it? Hmmm. Maybe not.

Boga

That thick 2 sided tape.

Or possibly cut some silicone mat and sammich it between the fan and the fixture.

:D Guess what? I have it in my garage. Little bit too thin, but I can stick few layers together and then cut strips out of the sandwich. Good candidate.

Silicone mat? I am going to pay a visit to the $$$ Store. They should have it.
I used industrial strength valcro, stuck well and I have no vibration at all... Plus easy to remove.

Not a bad idea, but in my setup the fans are flipped compared to yours. Don't have enough surface to work with (on the fan side).

Still have a few days to decide. Thanks.

Boga

That thick 2 sided tape.

Or possibly cut some silicone mat and sammich it between the fan and the fixture.

:D Guess what? I have it in my garage. Little bit too thin, but I can stick few layers together and then cut strips out of the sandwich. Good candidate.

Silicone mat? I am going to pay a visit to the $$$ Store. They should have it.
I used industrial strength valcro, stuck well and I have no vibration at all... Plus easy to remove.

Not a bad idea, but in my setup the fans are flipped compared to yours. Don't have enough surface to work with (on the fan side).

Still have a few days to decide. Thanks.

Boga

:) You triggered me an idea. There are anti-vibration gaskets available for PC use on eBay or other stores. Just need to find the right size and the right store. Thanks :)

Boga

:) You triggered me an idea. There are anti-vibration gaskets available for PC use on eBay or other stores. Just need to find the right size and the right store. Thanks :)

Boga

LED's are ON. Running at 300 mA for now. Fans are not connected, yet.

Royal Blue and Cool White

All ON. Royal Blue, Cool White, UV, Red, Green, Moon.

Boga

LED's are ON. Running at 300 mA for now. Fans are not connected, yet.

Royal Blue and Cool White

All ON. Royal Blue, Cool White, UV, Red, Green, Moon.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Love this whole set up. Especially the use of molex conectors and wire management. I know the fan gasket you are referring to, I have one on my 120mm that I use as a chiller in my sump. They are nice gaskets and would be a perfect match. I think mine even have rubber feet/plugs things to connect it to the fan and to the metal instead of using screws. Worked great in the PC and works great now.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Love this whole set up. Especially the use of molex conectors and wire management. I know the fan gasket you are referring to, I have one on my 120mm that I use as a chiller in my sump. They are nice gaskets and would be a perfect match. I think mine even have rubber feet/plugs things to connect it to the fan and to the metal instead of using screws. Worked great in the PC and works great now.

Boga

Torx link said:

Thank you. My investment in collecting burned power supplies showed results :D. I will post maybe a close-up of the connectors, later. Ordered the gaskets from ebay.

Boga

Glued lenses on Cool White and Royal Blue LED's. All lenses are 65 deg angle, except the first row (close to the front) where I used 40 deg lenses. I think that it would minimize the "light spill" out of the tank.

I used J-B Weld. I applied just two small blobs of glue. Strong enough and it is rated for high temperatures.

Both fixtures were attached to the canopy and now I have new lights :). Did not take any pictures yet. I will do it within few days. Currently I am running at 0.3 Amps, which should give approximate 25% of the intended light output. Planning to increase about 10-15% per week in order to accommodate the corals to the new conditions.

I did not start the fans yet. At 0.3 Amps fixture temperature is only 32 deg C.