Bright yellow stuff on silicone...

MrHermit85

I have this weird stuff growing on my silicone. It is bright yellow and is only growing on the silicone that I used for my baffles and to secure a few little rocks with. The silicone was aquarium safe silicone for sure as it said in big letters on it Aquarium Safe!
Has anyone else had this before?

Oh yes and my tank is in it's 3rd week of cycling...

MrHermit85

I have this weird stuff growing on my silicone. It is bright yellow and is only growing on the silicone that I used for my baffles and to secure a few little rocks with. The silicone was aquarium safe silicone for sure as it said in big letters on it Aquarium Safe!
Has anyone else had this before?

Oh yes and my tank is in it's 3rd week of cycling...

MrHermit85

pulpfiction1 link said:
let me guess,you used the stuff from home hardware

Darnit did you use that silicone too and have the same problem? I have read about people using the GE silicone having the same problem too so I thought I would try a different one.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
so, out of curiosity, what is the yellow? is it chemical leaching? or some sort of algae? I've never heard of it til now. Learn something every day on the forum !

sunnykita

Super Active Member
so, out of curiosity, what is the yellow? is it chemical leaching? or some sort of algae? I've never heard of it til now. Learn something every day on the forum !

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i just figured it was a reaction to the type of lighting i was running in the sump,i had no effect what so ever,was looking in older threads to find some,maybe tomorrow,i have used it in the past and never seen it yellow,just in my sump tank that once,i never considered it a problem

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i just figured it was a reaction to the type of lighting i was running in the sump,i had no effect what so ever,was looking in older threads to find some,maybe tomorrow,i have used it in the past and never seen it yellow,just in my sump tank that once,i never considered it a problem

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
pulpfiction1 link said:

I used the home hardware stuff on my sump as well, it is also discoloring, no negative effects to speak off on my frag tank but just an unsightly yellow silicone lol

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
pulpfiction1 link said:

I used the home hardware stuff on my sump as well, it is also discoloring, no negative effects to speak off on my frag tank but just an unsightly yellow silicone lol

MrHermit85

Glad to hear I am not the only one. It is rather ugly but it is mostly in my sump. I am glad that there have been no bad results because of it as I would have had to drain my tank to remove the sump and fix it!!! I found some posts on other sites with people using GE silicone I that also have the same problem, I wonder what it is though? Perhaps when they say it is aquarium safe they were referring to freshwater and the saltwater could be the problem... Who knows, maybe I will try contact the company and find out.

MrHermit85

Glad to hear I am not the only one. It is rather ugly but it is mostly in my sump. I am glad that there have been no bad results because of it as I would have had to drain my tank to remove the sump and fix it!!! I found some posts on other sites with people using GE silicone I that also have the same problem, I wonder what it is though? Perhaps when they say it is aquarium safe they were referring to freshwater and the saltwater could be the problem... Who knows, maybe I will try contact the company and find out.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
actually i just cruised around a few forums,is common issue with GE silicone and probably is caused from light or heat,they say it can be scrubbed off but unfortunatley this includes the use of soap and a brush

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
actually i just cruised around a few forums,is common issue with GE silicone and probably is caused from light or heat,they say it can be scrubbed off but unfortunatley this includes the use of soap and a brush

MrHermit85

Ah, I used the home hardware stuff.  I guess it has nothing to do with brand but rather the coditions then... Next time I am going to stick with silicone from the petstore I think. I am just going to leave it as it seems to be yellowing the silicone all the way through...