Bright yellow stuff on silicone...

MrHermit85

Ah, I used the home hardware stuff.  I guess it has nothing to do with brand but rather the coditions then... Next time I am going to stick with silicone from the petstore I think. I am just going to leave it as it seems to be yellowing the silicone all the way through...

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
last couple of years ive been buying this stuff directly from Miracles Aquariums,the only brand they use,on a further note i did see gary and linda are carrying it now

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
last couple of years ive been buying this stuff directly from Miracles Aquariums,the only brand they use,on a further note i did see gary and linda are carrying it now

MrHermit85

pulpfiction1 link said:

Gary and Linda?

MrHermit85

pulpfiction1 link said:

Gary and Linda?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
The GE silicone that's the correct one does not discolour .  I believe it's windows and doors 2 ... I wouldn't be surprised if the silicone you used is leeching. 5 bucks for a tube at Canadian Tire

Boga

In the yellowish/greenish areas, is the sealant still attached to the glass. Try to lift it with the finger. Maybe algae started to grow between the glass and silicone? I see zones where the silicone is still clear.

What is the exact part number/grade of the sealant?
Does it have an expire date? Did you open the tube recently or is like 6 months old?
How long did you wait to cure before you had to use the sump?

MrHermit85

pulpfiction1 link said:
This is the stuff I use that yellowed on me in my sump,so i correct myself on the GE stuff

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk HD

Yup that's the same as what I used. Also just happening in my sump.

reeffreak link said:
The GE silicone that's the correct one does not discolour .  I believe it's windows and doors 2 ... I wouldn't be surprised if the silicone you used is leeching. 5 bucks for a tube at Canadian Tire

There are people that have had some funny stuff happening with GE windows and doors II as well, except the yellowing is slightly different and in some cases it flakes... It seems that the homehardware stuff always yellows though. I would love to re-do the silicone but it will cost more than $5 as I will have to tear down everything and start from scratch (Water, salt and time) and it is only in my sump which is fine I guess  ??? What should I test for if you say it is leaching? The others say they didn't have any problems with theirs leaching but I wouldn't mind checking before going any further...

Boga link said:
In the yellowish/greenish areas, is the sealant still attached to the glass. Try to lift it with the finger. Maybe algae started to grow between the glass and silicone? I see zones where the silicone is still clear.

Does it have an expire date? Did you open the tube recently or is like 6 months old?

I attached two photos with all the bin numbers and dates on for you. It was definitely not expired and the sump was left empty for over a month after installing the baffles. I also tried to wiggle the baffles free but they are still attached quite firmly (as per before I filled it with water).

Poseidon link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=5746.msg55118#msg55118 date=1373004384]
i just figured it was a reaction to the type of lighting i was running in the sump,i had no effect what so ever,was looking in older threads to find some,maybe tomorrow,i have used it in the past and never seen it yellow,just in my sump tank that once,i never considered it a problem

I used the home hardware stuff on my sump as well, it is also discoloring, no negative effects to speak off on my frag tank but just an unsightly yellow silicone lol
[/quote]

It is quite ugly lol does give my sump a more natural look though lol
Thanks for comments!  :D

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
MrHermit85 link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=5746.msg55212#msg55212 date=1373070805]
This is the stuff I use that yellowed on me in my sump,so i correct myself on the GE stuff

reeffreak link said:

There are people that have had some funny stuff happening with GE windows and doors II as well, except the yellowing is slightly different and in some cases it flakes... It seems that the homehardware stuff always yellows though. I would love to re-do the silicone but it will cost more than $5 as I will have to tear down everything and start from scratch (Water, salt and time) and it is only in my sump which is fine I guess  ??? What should I test for if you say it is leaching? The others say they didn't have any problems with theirs leaching but I wouldn't mind checking before going any further...

Boga link said:

I attached two photos with all the bin numbers and dates on for you. It was definitely not expired and the sump was left empty for over a month after installing the baffles. I also tried to wiggle the baffles free but they are still attached quite firmly (as per before I filled it with water).

Poseidon link said:
i just figured it was a reaction to the type of lighting i was running in the sump,i had no effect what so ever,was looking in older threads to find some,maybe tomorrow,i have used it in the past and never seen it yellow,just in my sump tank that once,i never considered it a problem

I used the home hardware stuff on my sump as well, it is also discoloring, no negative effects to speak off on my frag tank but just an unsightly yellow silicone lol
[/quote]

[/quote]

I used exact same stuff from Home Depot, in my sump. Mine didn't turn yellow.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
The GE stuff doesn't discolour , unless its the WRONG GE silicone. If it turns yellow you've used the wrong stuff and like I mentioned before its probably leeching well almost guaranteed it is.

MrHermit85

unibob link said:
[quote author=MrHermit85 link=topic=5746.msg55590#msg55590 date=1373544421]
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=5746.msg55212#msg55212 date=1373070805]

reeffreak link said:

Boga link said:

Poseidon link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I used exact same stuff from Home Depot, in my sump. Mine didn't turn yellow.
[/quote]

Well I dont know what could cause it then.

MrHermit85

So we have one person who used it without any yellowing (Unibob) and three people who did have yellowing (Me, poseidon and pulpfiction). Hmm I wonder sounds like there is another variable causing it along with the silicone...

I double checked the forums and some used the GE II with problems (Are you supposed to use GE I windows and doors then?) So I see what your saying Reafreak they used the wrong one but their problem is with weird flaking stuff. I also found one where a guy used aquarium store black silicone and that had the yellow build up too... :?

If both poseidon and unibob have had the same problem with no ill affect I think I will leave it be for a couple weeks and see if it gets worse...

Do you still use the affected sump with this silicone Poseidon? How long have you had it like this?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
MrHermit85 link said:
So we have one person who used it without any yellowing (Unibob) and three people who did have yellowing (Me, poseidon and pulpfiction). Hmm I wonder sounds like there is another variable causing it along with the silicone...

I double checked the forums and some used the GE II with problems (Are you supposed to use GE I windows and doors then?) So I see what your saying Reafreak they used the wrong one but their problem is with weird flaking stuff. I also found one where a guy used aquarium store black silicone and that had the yellow build up too... :?

If both poseidon and unibob have had the same problem with no ill affect I think I will leave it be for a couple weeks and see if it gets worse...

Do you still use the affected sump with this silicone Poseidon? How long have you had it like this?

Ya I use it on my Fragtank, installed it a few months ago, p04 is zero on a Hanna checker, and I have no nuisance algae issues, I do run gfo though...

MrHermit85

Poseidon link said:
[quote author=MrHermit85 link=topic=5746.msg55641#msg55641 date=1373571597]

Ya I use it on my Fragtank, installed it a few months ago, p04 is zero on a Hanna checker, and I have no nuisance algae issues, I do run gfo though...
[/quote]

Awesome, I will be running GFO too so I think it will be good then.