Calcium And Magnesium Low

Janice

HELLO: I just tested my reef tank for the first time with the Red Sea kit for calcium KH and Magnesium. I out a new hammerhead coral and a torch coral in the tank yesterday. Calcium and Magnesium are both very low. Should I buy supplements tomorrow and add them o the tank? Thank you, Janice

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If you do go for supplements, Google them before buying. Many of us use Bionic and a few other ones. It would be nice to hear from people in your area what is available locally. I get 5 gallon pails of EVS Bionic supplements as it is the only cost efficient way for me to go.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
THANK YOU NATHAN. ANY SUGGESTIONS RE THE BEST BRAND?
As torx has mentioned I'd post your results to your thread. There are a lot of experienced people hear... they will better help you analyze your results better then I can. :)

Nighthawk26

If you are new to things, ESV BIONIC is probably best, as it also has several trace elements and is easy to use, and might help you avoid going down a road of a million other things you think maybe you need to add (but likely don't).

Janice

Thanks everyone: Yesterday the PH, which has been perfect at 8.3 since the inception of the tank, went dangerously low, such that I had to add Seachem Reef Buffer to try to raise it to 8.3. I did not want to put in too much bugger in one day, so I only added 2 teaspoons (mixed in water of course), thinking it would be best to bring the PH level up slowly instead of quickly. I measured agains this morning, and PH was still only 7.8, so I added two more teaspoons of Reef Buffer. I will test it again later today-not sure how long you wait to retest after adding thing to the tank??????

The calcium was (is) only .52 and the magnesium only0.23, so I am running out to buy supplements when my closest supplier-Big Als Mississauga, opens at 10 today. Alkalinity was perfect.

ADVICE APPRECIATED.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Don't start anything!!!

It helps if you post the mg/l, not the used amount of titrate. But for people without that test kit, it means that those results aren't even on the color card they are so low. Those numbers can not even be right. Even with poor water changes and lots of coral, your tank would never get that low in calcium and magnesium. Are those results you posted what was left in the syringe or what you used?

Maybe bring a water sample to a store or get someone else to test the water for you.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
And we do weekly water changes of about 5 gallons on a 32 gallon tank.

what we used-and there is a converter chart, but our number was so low it was not even on the chart.
There must be something else going on. Maybe the test kits are bad. Dont start buying stuff yet. Try testing a fresh batch of new salt water before adding it to the tank. mag should be around 1284 and cal 410 for a fresh batch mixed salt water.

Janice

OK, thank you I will do and let you know know the results. Can you tell me how long my reef buffer should be in the aquarium before I test the PH again please?

Janice

OK. So I mixed up a fresh batch of salt water. I tested the calcium and now got the complete opposite reading form when I tested yesterday. Using 1.00 ml of titrant of calcium was not enough to turn the water blue. So according to the chart I am higher than 500 ppm, since I a off the charts. What now? Re-test my tank water???

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That should not happen either. There is no way a fresh batch of salt water is off the chart. It is impossible. I highly suggest you bring samples to somewhere to check. Or maybe someone local could come over with their testers.