Canada Corals 45g Sps Build Thread *pics*

CanadaCorals.com

Website Affiliate
Website
www.canadacorals.com
We figured we would start a build thread for the SPS dominated 45G display that we are building in our showroom. The tank is made by Marineland (terrible silicone job but whatever). The tank measures 24L x 24D x 18H.

The stand is made from the same Bosch aluminum extrusion that we use thru-out our store. It's a dream material to work with because its so modular.

Before we ordered anything, we used Google Sketch-up to design the tank stand so that it could be "skinned" with panels to hide the aluminum frame. We wanted the panels to mount flush with the glass so the stand was designed to compensate for the panel thickness.

Cube-00.jpg

Once the stand was cut to size, this is how it looked in the flesh. :D

Cube-01.jpg

Because the stand is precision cut, no foam is needed to compensate for imperfections. We used 1/4 HDPE plate so that the glass does not come in direct contact with metal.

Cube-02.jpg

Next step was to drill 2 holes into the Marineland 45G tank. A 30mm and 42mm glass drill bit was used to make room for the return and drain. Then black vinyl was applied to the glass for the background.

Cube-03.jpg

We decided to use the Xaqua X-Inout Overflow System. It actually creates a pulsating wave motion with no moving parts.

Cube-04.jpg

This is how it looks from the inside of the tank. The drain cover is removable for cleaning.

Cube-05.jpg

Cube-06.jpg

The light we decided to use is the Giesemann Spectra MH/T5 combo. It has a 400w single ended metal halide bulb (20K Radium). It also has 4 x 24w T5 with ATI True Actinic bulbs.

Cube-07.jpg

Cube-08.jpg

This is how everything looks so far.

Cube-09.jpg

We designed a custom sump in Google Sketch-up that should be ready in a week. That is when the real fun begins.

Cube-10.jpg

The footprint under a cube is very challenging because there is very little room to fit a sump, skimmer, dosing pump, dosing containers, ATO, powerbars, fans, etc... but were up for the challenge! :p

More pics of the build will soon follow!!!

CanadaCorals.com

Website Affiliate
Website
www.canadacorals.com
Nice! Those Geisemann Spectra pendants are super slick. I really like that overflow too, never heard of it before.

The overflow is made by an Italian company. The Europeans get all the cool stuff!

That is some sweet extrusion for the stand! Mind if I asked what it set you back?

Look to spend about $1.00 per inch for the 45x45mm profile. Another $10 to connect each piece together and the leveling feet are about $10ea also.

Nice to see a vendor do a build thread, shows commitment to the community.

Thanks! I would have never put so much effort into our store if I was not passionate about the hobby. :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I wouldn't expect any less from CC. Your build threads are amazing!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kyle1970

Looking good. I also like the challenge of equipment positioning and storage under a small footprint tank. Keeps the mind sharp!

SamB

Super Active Member
Great store, great people, great quality !
Thanks for posting your build - looks sweet !

jroovers

Super Active Member
That is one sweet looking setup! Really like how you will flush mount the skin with the surface of the tank, that will look great.

The aluminum is sweet but pricey - if you are skinning the base with wood anyway, could you build the bottom frame with wood and then screw the upper portion for the lighting down to the base to get the same lighting look and potentially save some cost (just asking out of curiosity).

The overflow is super slick - that said, any concerns about them getting plugged up? I wouldn't sleep too easy knowing that a fish could plug that thing up in a hurry if it died and stuck to the grate.

CanadaCorals.com

Website Affiliate
Website
www.canadacorals.com
That is one sweet looking setup! Really like how you will flush mount the skin with the surface of the tank, that will look great.

The aluminum is sweet but pricey - if you are skinning the base with wood anyway, could you build the bottom frame with wood and then screw the upper portion for the lighting down to the base to get the same lighting look and potentially save some cost (just asking out of curiosity).

The overflow is super slick - that said, any concerns about them getting plugged up? I wouldn't sleep too easy knowing that a fish could plug that thing up in a hurry if it died and stuck to the grate.

You could probably make the stand from 2x4's but the space under the tank is already very limited so I need every inch I can get!

I've been in the hobby for 10 years and never owned a tank with dual overflows and never once had a flood.

I make sure fish are supper healthy and strong before they go in the tank so the chances of a dying fish plugging up the drain is very unlikely.

The return section of my sump measures 10" x 5" x 7" (1.5 gallons) so if it does happen, it wont be too bad. It might even fit in the tank without overflowing! :)

CanadaCorals.com

Website Affiliate
Website
www.canadacorals.com
I finally got the panels and door mounted today. It took me a while because I wanted to find a way to have the side panels removable.

I ended up using IKEA kitchen doors to skin the aluminum frame. I bolted on some 3/4" thick PVC strips to the metal frame so that I could have something to screw into.

I originally purchased 3 wood panels but it was looking too heavy. I decided to use glossy white for the sides and wood for the front door.

The sump I custom designed is now built. I am going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. :)

Cube-12.jpg

Cube-13.jpg