CaribSea Aquarium Substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Starting my salt water tank again and I was wondering what the best Substrate to use for the bottum of my tank ... the size is 55 gal ... any help would be awesome thank you Matt

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I am also trying to decide what to use.
im considering a DSB but not sure if its worth it using biopellets.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
If your goal is a Shallow Sand Bed (SSB) I recommend using caribsea special grade seafloor.  I would only go 1" deep or less and keep it stirred.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i used carib sea fiji pink, while the look is awesome i will not be using it on my next tank, its just too fine of a sand, you have to be aware of power head placement or it will blow it all over, and any coral on your sand bed is constantly subjected to being covered in sand. My next tank i will be going with the sea floor special grade like darryl mentioned.

AdamS

I am slowly removing my sand for all the reasons duke just mentioned. I think i will try special grade as a replacement. I just want enough to cover the glass, and will clean it with water changes. Biopellets are also on the agenda.

Thanks for the help (even though i didnt send the question)

H

HockeyBen

I have done the same thing Adam.  I have gone to the Sea Floor grade for the reasons mentioned by others and I wouldn't ever go back.

Better all around IMO

Reef Hero

Super Active Member

I have a 2" sand bed and it is very fine sand......next build will be much coarser sand because as stated here by others it is easily disturbed by power heads, covers corals on sand bed, and when stirring it a little it will easily become part of the water column if you don't go really slow.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chewy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
so what is a thicker sand or should I do like crushed coral ??
:poop: <<<< hahaha poop !!

spyd

Super Active Member
I agree. I use Special Grade Sea Floor and it is a good size. Crushed coral is too bulky IMO. The sea floor substrate is heavy enough that it does not blow all over your tank but small enough to make a nice looking sand bed. Easy to stir up or even siphon.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
spyd link said:
I agree. I use Special Grade Sea Floor and it is a good size. Crushed coral is too bulky IMO. The sea floor substrate is heavy enough that it does not blow all over your tank but small enough to make a nice looking sand bed. Easy to stir up or even siphon.

is it still sift able by gobys and starfish?

Chewy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
thank you for the link Duke ... I can grab that at petsmart cheap ... I appricate that ... I think 2 bags will work in a 55 gal

:eek:

Reef Hero

Super Active Member

Damnit Darryl where were you when I was building my sand bed lol :)

That Seaflor stuff looks like the best I have seen yet.....perfect sized particles!!
I could really crank up the flow then!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Chewy link said:
thank you for the link Duke ... I can grab that at petsmart cheap ... I appricate that ... I think 2 bags will work in a 55 gal

:eek:
One bag will likely do a 55 gallon. 
Im not sure that i have ever seen it at a petsmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.