China LED LIGHTS 120W Full spectrum ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
xxmurrxx link said:
[quote author=Krazykarl link=topic=4175.msg38183#msg38183 date=1359501793]
Man. For 220$ you can't go wrong. Wish I saw those before I spent 1300 on kessil.

Only prob is you would probably need more than 1 for a bigger tank, and if they don't end up being what you thought they were quality wise your out $440 + then you'll still have to buy what you were looking for on top of that.

That said.. I don't know anything about these, and they might be great and save you $, just something to consider i guess.
[/quote]

I already had these lights over my 135. Three of em. They grew awesome. I only had 10k n rb. 40 per pendant. I regret selling em. I can only imagine what the various colours would look like. I'd gladly put 3 over my tank agree. And yes they were bridgelux.

Seggsy

I looked at a similar one Darryl, but I was worried that since the colours (red and green) aren't on their own circuit, might have a disco effect.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
looking forward to your review on it.
be sure to test it on the easily obtainable corals... dont want to hear or see that all your good stuff bleached or died off.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
davesolo29 link said:
looking forward to your review on it.
be sure to test it on the easily obtainable corals... dont want to hear or see that all your good stuff bleached or died off.
Its gonna go on the 60cube for a little while and than later on a frag tank.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'll be curious too.  I'm really hard on bridgelux as Duke knows.  I like the simple setup of these things.  I'd be curious about growth, look and longevity.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
did you find a frag tank yet?
jerry is selling the one he got from dwayne.  caused some problems with the wife and he lost.. lol
not sure if its too big for you tho.
its like a 4ft x 3ft tank.  16 high.  90ish gallons.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
That's a sweet size for a frag tank. If I ever set one up again ill be looking into a similar size. LEDs are great on lps IMO. I thought you were taking down the cube Darryl?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
Ya...but worse comes to worse I think I could just take the optics off the offending LEDs.
Add a small bit of sand to the offending optics and it will defuse them really nicely or take some fine sand paper and give the optic a nice hazed look.

Can't wait to see you with this light. Maybe people will stop knocking the bridgelux less after u give them a go  ;D

You should put a frag of your sunset milli and northern delight in there and see how it compares after a few months.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
davesolo29 link said:
did you find a frag tank yet?
jerry is selling the one he got from dwayne.  caused some problems with the wife and he lost.. lol
not sure if its too big for you tho.
its like a 4ft x 3ft tank.  16 high.  90ish gallons.
Too big......
Krazykarl link said:
That's a sweet size for a frag tank. If I ever set one up again ill be looking into a similar size. LEDs are great on lps IMO. I thought you were taking down the cube Darryl?
I will eventually.  A frag tank might take its place though.

S

saltnureye

Looking forward to some feedback/reviews on these lights Darryl.  I have mine still in the box waiting, hopefully I can have it running in the next 2-3 weeks. I love the idea of having a few similar pieces to compare growth.  Is your 60 cube plumbed to the rest of your system Darryl?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Ok....I got that light on Friday.  Its ok...but a little disappointed, and I'll tell you why.  Price is very good.  I paid no tax or duty, which was nice.  So all in it was just over $220CAD.  After recieving the box and plugging it in I noticed the green and reds are on the outside, which for spread doesnt really make sense.  When I purchased it the picture showed them on the second row to the outside...now the auction has changed?  No biggy as I thought I would just remove those optics which would help a lot.  Second thing I noticed that it doesnt have the 2 x violet LEDs like the auctions states.  False advertising.......they are just royal blues...no violet at all.  Next I plug it into my killawatt and notice that full blast this thing only uses about 104watts....not the 120watts claimed and the 104 watts includes the fans running.  All in all its a good light but I was hoping for a little more.  The real issue is I have a 80watt DIY and I was hoping this light to be significantly better......but its not.  So Im gonna try and return this light or sell it.   

P

phi delt reefer

If you get one make sure you buy some high quality diffusing film and out it on the acrylic shield. You can get some stuff that has a 98%+ transmission rating and will totally eliminate the disco ball effect. It can get pricey for the good stuff but the lighting won't look so artificial.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
Ok....I got that light on Friday.  Its ok...but a little disappointed, and I'll tell you why.  Price is very good.  I paid no tax or duty, which was nice.  So all in it was just over $220CAD.  After recieving the box and plugging it in I noticed the green and reds are on the outside, which for spread doesnt really make sense.  When I purchased it the picture showed them on the second row to the outside...now the auction has changed?  No biggy as I thought I would just remove those optics which would help a lot.  Second thing I noticed that it doesnt have the 2 x violet LEDs like the auctions states.  False advertising.......they are just royal blues...no violet at all.  Next I plug it into my killawatt and notice that full blast this thing only uses about 104watts....not the 120watts claimed and the 104 watts includes the fans running.  All in all its a good light but I was hoping for a little more.  The real issue is I have a 80watt DIY and I was hoping this light to be significantly better......but its not.  So Im gonna try and return this light or sell it. 

Well it's unfortunate to hear, but I suppose not surprising.  I kind of looked at these like the odyssea fixtures they sell so cheap online...okay but not great.  I'd be most mad about the violet LEDs being RBs.  I will know for sure when I fire up the new LEDs that came in today, but I think the violets are almost the single most important lights in the whole setup.  At the very least, they has increased the depth I can keep high-light coral in the tank for sure, I don't have to have corals 1" from the surface to colour them up.  I've got some on the sandbed that are still colourful (but do get brown on the underside.

Victoss

Are you sure the UV just don't look like RB with the optics on? I know my rapid par38 bulbs have optics that have plastic diffusing material in front of them and they look very similar untill you take a picture. I'm not saying your wrong, just a possibility. ;) From the pics though it looks like their optics have no material in front of them...

See what I mean though, without the camera they are hard to tell apart:
p1310694a.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I know the UV / RBs on my setup are a world apart visually.  I mean, the violets are violet, the greens are blue/green and the RB's are, well blue.  The UV/violets look like they're running at half power to the naked eye.

Victoss

I know what you mean, on my setup with no optics I can tell any led apart from another even blue and royal blue. In my case with the par38 bulb it happens to have a white diffusion material on each optic and I was just pointing out they can look similar with this, but this is probably not the case with his fixture.

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
That is a great light - I actually have one made by the same manf and took it apart.  Here is what I found:  The dimming switches are very cheap and I put a multimeter to it and it only read 9.6 volts which means you will be less 4% less the max performance ( you can resolve this by unplugging the dimming plug)  In addition I didnt like that the drivers were cheap plastic vented which means moisture over time will get in there.

But from the spectrum standpoint I especially like this fixture.  The inclusion of 420 and 660 is perfect.  The mix of whites are also a great choice.  I have actually modded it to dim with the apex.  you can splice into the 1-10V and ground and run it to a F cat 5 and dimm with the apex.  Finally the light is very high par and bleached my birds 26" down.  It was getting like 550 par and that is underrating it. 

Summery
Great Par and color which leads to great color and growth but unfortunately the quality of the light I wouldn’t expect to last longer than its warranty.  Scalable to mod for the apex.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I sent it back today...i wasnt convinced that it had any 420nm leds..  It seems decent but to similar in proformance to my DIY made it not worth it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.