Clam Burping (thread Discussion Split From Another Thread)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
just thinking of a beginner clam
Lol. They all require the same amount of care.

But you're probably talking about price ;)

Don't forget the read up on how to burp a clam before you get one. I've personally seen way too many die in captivity due to the new owner not knowing how to burp it when you first get it home

Sony Xperia Z3

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Burping clams seems to be a myth. Clams live in tidal zones and are exposed to air naturally anyways. They can expel air on their own just fine.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
That's fine. But why risk it if it's a matter of a simple procedure to reduce the risk.

There are many things that exist in the ocean that baffle theories. But when you confine them to a small Eco system like our Aquariums. Things seem to react differently as they would in the wild.

It's plain well stupid not to perform a burp on a clam to increase the chance of survival.

I don't know about you. But I certainly don't have the money to piss away like that. Not to mention the loss of life as well.

I got in this hobby to ensure I can do everything in my power to ensure the animals in my care have the greatest chance of survival.

Dogs and cat can live in the wild with no food given by any human. So if you get a dog or cat. Does that mean you don't have to feed them?

Do what you want. But I've been in the game for 25 years. I've seen clams die in a system with already establish clams. Was it because the new clam wasn't burped? Who knows. But why even risk it.

Sony Xperia Z3

heath

Distinguished Member
That's fine. But why risk it if it's a matter of a simple procedure to reduce the risk.

There are many things that exist in the ocean that baffle theories. But when you confine them to a small Eco system like our Aquariums. Things seem to react differently as they would in the wild.

It's plain well stupid not to perform a burp on a clam to increase the chance of survival.

I don't know about you. But I certainly don't have the money to piss away like that. Not to mention the loss of life as well.

I got in this hobby to ensure I can do everything in my power to ensure the animals in my care have the greatest chance of survival.

Dogs and cat can live in the wild with no food given by any human. So if you get a dog or cat. Does that mean you don't have to feed them?

Eric, I totally agree with you on caring for our aquariums and PLEASE don't get me started on dogs and cats especially as a breeder...

Do what you want. But I've been in the game for 25 years. I've seen clams die in a system with already establish clams. Was it because the new clam wasn't burped? Who knows. But why even risk it.

Sony Xperia Z3

Kman

Super Active Member
For one thing people can't compare what does or doesn't happen in the ocean, that rule doesn't apply always. Concentrations of nutrients, organics and bacteria are far greater in a captive environment versus natural environment. The chemical composition of our synthetic water is what we design it to be and is not exactly the same as natural sea water. So chemically it reacts different.
Wave action coming back into exposed zones would be strong and would act as a natural way of burping any trapped air within the clam.

RTN for instance is something that happens far more frequently in captivity than in the ocean. Does that mean RTN is a myth?

To me it is easy to burp a clam and is worth the extra precaution even if it doesn't or does exist.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
That's the problem with this hobby. So many people are quick to spew off "tips" that have no scientific or actual evidence supporting them, but yet they blindly follow it. For all we know the clams that died who weren't "burped" were just bad clams who were on their way out for 1 of a million different reasons. I've had three clams in my time, and none have been burped and all were fine. Your Rtn example doesn't even fit. I'm not sure how you're using it as an argument. Rtn is something we can see, and attribute as a specific sort of death. Not burping a clam who dies doesn't necessarily correlate to not burping it

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Clams are just fine out of the water and will squirt as a defense. Burping is just making sure that they expel the air that they trap after squirting. They should do it on their own, but some people do things to help out. Or at least that is what I have read, and we all know that if it is online, then it must be true.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
That's the problem with this hobby. So many people are quick to spew off "tips" that have no scientific or actual evidence supporting them, but yet they blindly follow it. For all we know the clams that died who weren't "burped" were just bad clams who were on their way out for 1 of a million different reasons. I've had three clams in my time, and none have been burped and all were fine. Your Rtn example doesn't even fit. I'm not sure how you're using it as an argument. Rtn is something we can see, and attribute as a specific sort of death. Not burping a clam who dies doesn't necessarily correlate to not burping it
You're missing the point here.

My argument was that if it only takes a matter of a few mins to set up a clam to be burped. Why wouldn't you? It's a matter of placing the clam in the proper position to help it release any accumulated air that could have been trapped during the shipping or bagging process.

I agree that there are many so called "tips" which are more myth than truth. Buy like you mentioned. There is no way to determine if burping actually helps the clam because you can't visually confirm that air is the cause of death. Is that not reason enough to burp the clam? Even the slightest chance that it might help and the fact that burping it won't hurt it. To me that's reason enough.

There are as many "myth tips" as there are people out there trying to disprove them. I see too often in this hobby that people compare things to what happens in nature. I don't care if you spend all the money in the world to construct the most state of the art system. You will never be able to simulate the conditions of the ocean exactly. Just not possible. Nature has proved that time and time again. So you're comparing apples to oranges. We need to be more focused on providing the best environment and doing everything we can to help the animals in our care to survive and flourish. Rather than just saying "well it doesn't need it in the ocean"

To play devils advocate here. You say you had three clams do well for you. You didn't mention how long you had them for. Short term or long term. Also with your placement in the tank, you may have inadvertently already burped them.

It's a fine line between success and failure in this hobby. Why wouldn't you take the little extra precautions to help increase the chances of survival of an animal in our care? Also some processes may work for one hobbyist and not for another. You were lucky enough to have had luck with your clams, but that doesn't mean it will work for another.

Point of this discussion. Do whatever you want with your clam. Burp or not. Your call. But I personally would always burp clams due to the little effort it takes and that it might even help a little to increase the chances survival

Sony Xperia Z3

Kman

Super Active Member

As to spew off tips how long have you been in the hobby for theyangman? I have been in it for 28 years almost 29. Mine aren't tips it is called knowledge gained by experience. I see far to often people that have been in the hobby for a few years think they understand a concept but actually don't. Then give bad advice because of it.

You assume that something that does or doesn't happen in the wild doesn't happen in captivity. Where is your proof in this case? Have they done a study on burping clams or not in the wild? If you would have said I myself don't feel it necessary to burp clams instead of it is a myth, that would be been a valid point. To say something is a myth with no proof and incomplete understanding of a consept is just bad information.

In the wild a clam does have the ability to hold water in itself by closing up to trap water and to help cut down on air pockets. The problem is in captivity what is one of the things most people do when they get a new clam? Turn it over and inspect it for snails and other predators. Guess what just happened? You just dumped out that pocket of water. What does a clam do when you take it out of the bag? It sqirts water as a natural reflex to startle predators. Guess what? No more water pocket.

Do some people have success by not burping them? Yes. Does it mean it is a myth and shouldn't be done? No. Is in not up to us to take every precaution to insure the well being and survival of our new charge? Yes it is. So even if it is or isn't true most people will do it.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
You're missing the point here.

My argument was that if it only takes a matter of a few mins to set up a clam to be burped. Why wouldn't you? It's a matter of placing the clam in the proper position to help it release any accumulated air that could have been trapped during the shipping or bagging process.

The problem I have here is that there is still no proof either way that this does anything. It is not that it is difficult or not difficult, but rather there exists no concrete evidence that doing this accomplishes anything.

I agree that there are many so called "tips" which are more myth than truth. Buy like you mentioned. There is no way to determine if burping actually helps the clam because you can't visually confirm that air is the cause of death. Is that not reason enough to burp the clam? Even the slightest chance that it might help and the fact that burping it won't hurt it. To me that's reason enough.

To me, no. It is not. However like I said before, do as you wish.

To play devils advocate here. You say you had three clams do well for you. You didn't mention how long you had them for. Short term or long term. Also with your placement in the tank, you may have inadvertently already burped them.

first clam lived happily for about a year and a half and then got damaged in a rock slide and went down hill from there.

second clam has been in my tank for about 6 months

third clam I got at frag fest, squirted on me after I pulled it from the bag, was placed into the tank without burping and looks fantastic still.

Point of this discussion. Do whatever you want with your clam. Burp or not. Your call. But I personally would always burp clams due to the little effort it takes and that it might even help a little to increase the chances survival

I couldn't agree more.

As to spew off tips how long have you been in the hobby for theyangman? I have been in it for 28 years almost 29. Mine aren't tips it is called knowledge gained by experience. I see far to often people that have been in the hobby for a few years think they understand a concept but actually don't. Then give bad advice because of it.

I never told anyone to not burp their clams. I never claimed burping them would have any adverse affects, read my original quote:

Burping clams seems to be a myth. Clams live in tidal zones and are exposed to air naturally anyways. They can expel air on their own just fine.
See that one word there? SEEMS. It is a pretty important word here as it does not indicate that I am 1000000% sure that it is a myth. I'm really happy for you and how long you have spent in this hobby, unfortunately, time has a pretty low correlation to knowledge. Not that you don't have a lot of knowledge, but rather that someone with a shorter time in the hobby can amass a great deal of knowledge themselves, especially considering the resources we have today compared to 20 years ago. It depends on the individual so stomping into this thread with your chest puffed out and that being your opening sentence, I immediately lose respect for whatever knowledge you imply to have hence forth, as you seem to believe that your tenure in the hobby is your best and most important credential.

I never claimed to be an expert? I never claimed to understand the concept fully. I shared my two cents as has everyone else, and where was my bad advice?

You assume that something that does or doesn't happen in the wild doesn't happen in captivity. Where is your proof in this case? Have they done a study on burping clams or not in the wild? If you would have said I myself don't feel it necessary to burp clams instead of it is a myth, that would be been a valid point. To say something is a myth with no proof and incomplete understanding of a consept is just bad information.

So let's flip the script. Where is your study backing up the burping phenomenon? By your own words you saying that burping clams is bad information as you have ZERO scientific evidence to prove that it has any effect at all. Don't go off about "experience" as that holds as much validity as my experiences in NOT burping them. Where is your concrete, scientific studies that show burping clams is good for their health?

At this point how can you say your understanding of clams is complete? You are guilty by your own standards. Have you cut them open? Have you studied how their air pockets work? How many have you dissected to examine? How many have you owned in your 28 years? 10? 20? maybe 50? Is that the magic number? After 50 clams, good or bad, I can call myself an expert too? Cause I'm one hell of a fish expert then. You try and judge me and my bad advice and bad information (which I never really gave quite frankly) but yet, you, because you have been in this hobby for 28 years, well, shit, your advice is rock solid.

I don't care if you burp your clams or not. That is not the point I am targeting here. It is the fact that when there is no proof, people still seem to follow it blindly.

Yes, I understand it doesn't take much effort. But what if it did? Would you then not follow it because it was too difficult or because you don't believe in it?

Last edited: