Clam Burping (thread Discussion Split From Another Thread)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I would still burp a clam. If it's hard or not. To me taking the extra precautions to eliminate as many potential risks of loss of life is my point.

You blindly dip corals before adding to your system weather or not you know there are pests. So why not take the extra step?

This is turning out to be a great discussion. As long as everyone respects everyone else's opinions.

There are a ton of ways to be successful in this hobby. DO what works for you.

Sony Xperia Z3

reef keeper

Super Active Member
So how do you burp a clam? I tend to be the guy that eras on the side of caution. I'll be moving mine into my tank eventually and I'm sure it will see air at some point

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
I would still burp a clam. If it's hard or not. To me taking the extra precautions to eliminate as many potential risks of loss of life is my point.

You blindly dip corals before adding to your system weather or not you know there are pests. So why not take the extra step?

This is turning out to be a great discussion. As long as everyone respects everyone else's opinions.

There are a ton of ways to be successful in this hobby. DO what works for you.

Sony Xperia Z3

lol always a peaceful discussion here

iLLKiLLYOU.gif

Kman

Super Active Member
When you say time has little correlation to knowledge that is not true. When you do something for a long time you get experience. It gives you time to research more and talk to people that are in the hobby. Not to mention have experiences of your own. When you do something for a long you get better at it because some things can only be learned through experience. It gives you more time to read up on everything and allows you to test what you have learned. This all adds up to your knowledge of a subject. Because you can't just learn by reading.

You clearly like to argue for the sake of arguing when peoples information differ from yours. You attempt to downplay what they say by calling them tips. I lose respect for people that hit a point in the hobby where they think they know everything better then others and are not willing to open their mind to a new possibility. When something differs from what they think is right.

We clearly have to agree to disagree on this
subject because this has gotten out of hand.

For those of you that want to learn about clams are their common diseases. Including burping. Read up on Daniel Knop, Svein A. Fossa, Alf Jacon Nielsen, Julian sprung and Charles Delbeek. All of them are renound authors and pioneers in this hobby. All of them have done testing and studys on clams for disease and
burping deaths. They have published articles, papers and books on the subject. (So yes there has been scientific testing done in captivity)

I have experienced clams try and expell trapped pockets of air so hard they cracked the hinge that holds the shell together and died shortly after. Does it happen to every clam? Definitely not. But for me it is worth a little extra effort to burp them. Is it for everyone? Probably not.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
unfortunately, time has a pretty low correlation to knowledge. Not that you don't have a lot of knowledge, but rather that someone with a shorter time in the hobby can amass a great deal of knowledge themselves, especially considering the resources we have today compared to 20 years ago. It depends on the individual...

It seems like you don't read my words carefully. Experience does not correlate to knowledge necessarily. Experiences gives you just that. But not everybody learns from it. This isn't directed at any one person mind you, but rather a general blanket statement which I'm sure you can agree with. I made that very clear in my original post, yet you proceed to attempt to go after me regardless.

I argue my point until there is satisfactory evidence showing otherwise. My arguments on this topic seem to have been blown way out of proportion, as it doesn't necessarily relate to the specific option of burping vs not burping as much as backing up your claims/tips/experience whatever you want to call it with similar findings from reputable sources with some references. I will be sure to read through some of the authors that you have quoted, and go from there. I am not adverse to learning, but when entering an argument, bring forth these examples, and it would have closed things off a lot quicker.

And once again, you are now simply generalizing me. I never once made a claim that burping was bad or unnecessary. Not once. I made a statement that it SEEMED to be a myth because in the wild they do it naturally. I never once progressed my stance forward or dug my heels in that this was the case. I was simply rebutting, waiting for someone to provide information or references to the contrary and back up their statements.

Kman

Super Active Member
The reef discussions can tend to get heated because people are passionate about the hobby. Especially in written form like this. So all good. :)

If you do like some good reading those authors are good reads. If you want something that is easier to understand and is for everyone stick with Daniel Knop. Svein A. Fossa and AlfJacon Nielsen tend to be really scientific and go into great detail. If you like indepth scientific reading go with them. But they are normally for people that have been in the hobby for a few years and already have an in depth understanding of things and want to expand their knowledge. At times it is very dry reading. Julian sprung and Charles Delbeek are kind of in the middle they are Scientific but not overly complex.

heath

Distinguished Member
I think that you should give it mouth to mouth,,Lake Huron water isn't the best..like a snake bit suck the poison out..lol..

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So how do you burp a clam? I tend to be the guy that eras on the side of caution. I'll be moving mine into my tank eventually and I'm sure it will see air at some point
It is pretty simple and only needed if the are out of water and have squirted you in the eye. Put them in the water at a 45 ° angle where you can reach them again. Let them expel the air, then place them where you want it. Or at least that is pretty much it I think.

Jewel

So when you put them in at a 45 degree angle,is it in an upward 45 or down ward. Sorry this just seems very silly to me, I say if it squirts you in the eye, you toss it in and where it lands, it lands