Cleaning Up The Network

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yeah ... I'm still leaning towards the Powerline adapters though. I've been doing some research on the TP-Link AV1200.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1054_360&item_id=087685

One video I watched had a guy showing everything from unboxing to installation. His wired speeds were 150 Mbps and through these adapters he was getting around 115 Mbps. Some of the cheaper models that don't use the new AV2 MIMO technology have a Wi-Fi boost built in as well. It's one of those things that I guess I won't know until I try it. ;)

I'm sure I could set up the NetGear as a repeater but I'm not overly experienced so I know it would take a bit of messing around to get it set up correctly. And after all that to hopefully get 12-16 Mbps. ... maybe a bit higher but not much. The Powerline's ease of setup and faster bandwidth have me leaning that way. I also have a 4TB drive hooked up to my router so was thinking that transfer speeds would likely be improved as well using the Powerline.

If I end up getting one I'll be sure to post a thread and share my experience with it. :cool:
Now you are talking. :) This is my second hobby. Not a compete techy; and there is A LOT I don't know. But I enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Just did a test using the SpeedTest app and my phone. My WIRED bandwidth is supposed to be 60 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up which it is fairly consistent. Using the app with Wi-Fi in my living room (where the router is) I get 25 Mbps down and 8-10 Mbps up. In my son's room it's all over the map and changes with each test. It ranges from 3-16 Mbps down and 2-7 Mbps up.

I'm thinking that if the Powerline Adapter can get to around 40-45 Mbps down and 9-10 Mbps up in his room then that would be worth it IMO.

Here's the vid I was talking about if you want to watch it. I watched several but this was the most informative I found.

How is the range with your Wi-Fi Torx? Do you have it setup in the basement?

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
How is the range with your Wi-Fi Torx? Do you have it setup in the basement?

I have a 2500 Sq ft single story. My set up is in my laundry room at the back corner. It does my entire house and property and more. I have never tested it out past there. The signal should be stronger then what I report, but it is close to my electrical box and a lot of water, both interfere with the signal.

WOW ... what type of router do you use? I actually start getting emails about a 100 feet from my place when I'm on the way home. Problem is it's spotty through all the walls inside. o_O:p

I use a Nighthawk AC1900. I am still connected at the street corner, about 6 houses down, but 0 speed. Maybe I will go for a walk tomorrow and speed test.

Ah ... that explains it. That looks like a nice high-end router! :cool: What wireless speeds do you get roughly in your house with it?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
In my internal network I get from my Laptop (Alienware 17, 16GB memory, i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz and 2.40 GHz) to my Raspberry PI I get 90 down and 74 up. That is through a closed room and across my house. I get the max speed from my ISP on my phone and laptop of around 45-50 Mbps down and 9-10 Mpbs up. I pay for a 50-10 service, so I am pretty happy with that.

speedtest.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sorry, I miss worded my terminology. That is the read and write speed from my laptop to my PI over the network. My connection speed to my Nighthawk is 725 Mbps and that is at 54% signal.

netgear.jpg

OK ... but that can't be your wireless internet speed right? I know you have a high-end modem but I'm only getting 25 Mbps from the internet. My router is a Gigabit router but that's about the max. download I get online through Wi-Fi.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That is my current speed sitting here at my kitchen table on my laptop having a coffee and banana popsicle. Tested a few times and the highest has been 784 Mbps at 52% signal. My internet speed is 45-50 Mbps down and 9-10 Mpbs up per speedtest.net. But that is exactly what I pay for.

I'm very confused now. :confused: How are you getting 784 Mbps when the download speed that you're paying for is supposed to be 50 Mbps? I could see it being a bit higher but not that much. So if you go to Speedtest.net and check your download speed you're getting 784 Mbps? Or are we just talking internal network speed?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I'm very confused now. :confused: How are you getting 784 Mbps when your download speed that you're paying for is supposed to be 50 Mbps? So if you go to Speedtest.net and check your download speed you're getting 784 Mbps? Or are we just talking internal network speed?

Yes, my internal network connection speed is 784 Mbps to my laptop from my router. My internet speed from my ISP I get 45-50 Mbps down and 9-10 Mpbs up per speedtest.net. I was thinking about going to 100Mbps service. I have a 50/10 with 400 GB service right now. I get free upload all day and free download from 2am - 8am, so I schedule all my downloads for that time. I do not go over 90Gb per month down outside the free download time. total transfer last month was 1Tb up and down combined.

OK ... but do you get that speed with Wi-Fi? The 50-10 speed? Because mine is 60 - 10 but through Wi-Fi I only get around 25-9. So I wouldn't doubt that you're router would give you the full speed through wireless just trying to make sure that I'm understanding what you're telling me. I just checked on my laptop if I go to Speedtest.net and run with my laptop connected directly to my router I get 59 - 10. But if I go wireless I get 27-10 for the same test online.

I just downloaded a program called LAN Speed Test from Totusoft to test my internal network speed. Through ethernet cable I'm getting 757 Mbps but through Wi-Fi I'm getting 795 Mbps internal network speed. How can the wireless be more than directly connected to the router? :confused:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I do get full speed to my laptop wirelessly. That is how I have been testing. I get the same at my wifes wired PC.

It is weird that that you are slower on wired. Unless there is some resistance in the line, although Cat5e cable should get 1000Mbps.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Damn... now I feel stupid:( you guys are way to smart for me...

I do get full speed to my laptop wirelessly. That is how I have been testing. I get the same at my wifes wired PC.

It is weird that that you are slower on wired. Unless there is some resistance in the line, although Cat5e cable should get 1000Mbps.

Well the cable to my laptop is around 25-30 ft. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. Just tested again and I'm getting 767 Mbps on wireless. Not as high but still very strange.

Damn... now I feel stupid:( you guys are way to smart for me...

LOL ... We're not too smart. We're all just knowledgeable in different things. Look at all the silly questions I've been asking in this thread. And I graduated from computer programming EONS ago. ;) There are plenty of things that I know nothing about. Never too old to learn though! :cool:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
BTW - Just checked and the cable I'm using is a CAT6 UTP Patch Cable.
You should be killing it for speed for sure. Cat6e is in my walls. You should have 0 latencies in a lines that short.

I wish I went to school for this stuff. I didn't do any of it at school, not even a typing class.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
You can always try to ping your router through cmd.exe I have less then 1ms latency on 4 of 4 packets at my laptop at 52% signal. My wifes wired PC is 0ms with only 1 packet coming in at 1ms.