Cutting Rocks

Canadianeh

Has anyone ever cut Marco rocks or similar rocks? I wonder how hard are they? BRSTV did video on it using a hexsaw and cut a rock in 45 seconds.

Anyone has experience? I would like to know if they are really hard to cut.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I've only cut a couple of pieces of live rock.... but I used a hammer and chisel and they broke easily. .. it is very soft stone

Kman

Super Active Member
I like the chisel options for most rocks if you don't need a specific shape. Because i find stone that was cut by a saw doesn't look as natural as stone that is broken. Cut stone goes in a line but chiseled stone breaks where it wants. So it gives a more natural look. You can guide where it breaks somewhat by etching the stone where you want it to break. But this doesn't always work.

Last edited:

Canadianeh

I want that flat surface for the base so it sits flush with the bottom of the tank. It will be buried under the sand, so I guess you can't see it.

I am considering chisel and hexsaw to work with. :)

Dingets

Hammer and chisel worked for a natural look. And I also used one of those oscillating tools to get some flat spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
With a chisel if you continue to score around the stone it will generally break where you want... I've only cut 2 pieces of live rock with it and it worked great... but I have lots of experience cutting other natural harder stone..

Canadianeh

I don't have access to power grinder or any other power cutting tools. To rent one from Home Depot will cost about $70 for 4 hours. It will be cheaper to buy few flat surface shelf Marco style rock from Big Als. However, I don't want to pay $70 or buy more rocks (about $75 rocks) as I already got 50 lbs of rocks. I will use hammer, wood chisel, hexsaw, and a bit of good luck ;)

Dingets

I don't have access to power grinder or any other power cutting tools. To rent one from Home Depot will cost about $70 for 4 hours. It will be cheaper to buy few flat surface shelf Marco style rock from Big Als. However, I don't want to pay $70 or buy more rocks (about $75 rocks) as I already got 50 lbs of rocks. I will use hammer, wood chisel, hexsaw, and a bit of good luck ;)

I think you'll be okay. It may not be as flat as using a bandsaw, but a few chips here and there you'll be able to get something you're happy with

Canadianeh

To note, you want something between the rock and bottom glass of your tank. Most of us have our rock sitting on eggcrate.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Just to relieve the pressure points?

I have a Fauna Marin Foam in order and I will be using this between the rock and the bottom glass.

Egg crate? The one that you bought from groceries store? Aren't they made from paper? If so, they will slowly decomposing under the water, no?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
f470ed18c1c6891cfa1b5fe1f98e143b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

noobwithatank

Only thing I've every noticed is the egg crate could create dead spots in which no snails etc can get to clean.. would that act as a dsb then ?

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Don't use a wood chisel.... it will be garbage.... go to princes auto or canadian tire and buy a cold chisel...