Dam Computer

heath

Distinguished Member
my computer is nuts... when I try to watch a video I click to open it and it seems to load then my screen goes green.. anyone have any idea what's going on or time to buy a new one...thnks..

shamous113

sounds like its over heating. if its a desk top unplug it and open the side panel, get a can of compressed air on blow all of the dust out of the cooling fins, make sure not to touch any thing inside and keep one hand on the case while doing this to avoid a static discharge if its a lap top then blow thru the vents in the back and bottom. I clean my computer annually you would be amazed how much dust and pet hair can get trapped.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I'm thinking that's what I need to do, its about 3yrs old, shit why don't they make things to last..,.

They do, but you have to spend money to keep em going. There are constant new hacks, new software, old software compatibility issues, everything is constantly changing on a computer. Depending on what you do, you have to get it worked on more often. I format my laptop about twice a year to keep it cleaned out. My wife crashes hers about every 3 months. Mostly due to facebook links that she clicks that are unsafe. That is why I have her documents folder backed up to a network drive so that we do not loose more photos and such. I spend a week recovering stuff off a hardrive of her a few years back.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
sounds like its over heating. if its a desk top unplug it and open the side panel, get a can of compressed air on blow all of the dust out of the cooling fins, make sure not to touch any thing inside and keep one hand on the case while doing this to avoid a static discharge if its a lap top then blow thru the vents in the back and bottom. I clean my computer annually you would be amazed how much dust and pet hair can get trapped.

I physically have to clean out my wifes computer every few months and I do my laptop as well. I do not want to cook my Alienware 17.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
nice gaming pc, I have a custom home built, its about 5yr old...almost time to upgrade.

This beast is still going strong after about 3 1/2 years, more PC then I need, but I like the flash. Killing nazi zombies randomly after a long day at work is nice too.

Give her a good clean @heath. that may help. You will be surprised what you find in there. I forgot about all the animals you have. Might be worth taking it in for a good clean if you are nervous.

heath

Distinguished Member

Its a laptop but, I have noticed lately that it gets hot..not all the time tho.. also, I do go on facebook...now you have me wondering...
thank god I take better care of my tanks than I do my computer...

My buddy gave me a laptop a while back that kept getting really hot and randomly turning off. After doing some research I determined it was the fan vent blocked with dust/debris causing the laptop to overheat. So I decided to disassemble it to clean the fan vent. Now I had built a couple of PC's before but never taken apart a laptop. At one point I had no idea where to find any more screws and couldn't figure out how to get it apart further without breaking it. Luckily I found a handy YouTube video on this exact model showing where all the screws were and how to fully disassemble it.

So of course you know that the fan is the ABSOLUTE LAST thing to get to. :mad: When I got to the fan I noticed an oddly coloured foam pad before the outtake holes. Upon closer inspection it was a mat of dust/debris/dog hair etc. Now my buddy and his wife keep a very clean house (much cleaner than my place) so they were horrified when I showed them the pics. After I removed that clump of debris and reassembled everything the laptop worked fine for at least another year or so.

Not sure why they can't just make laptops with a couple screws to remove the fan from the outside to make it easier to get to and clean. Oh yeah ... then the service guys wouldn't make all the money for fixing such a simple thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
BTW - Does it only do this when watching movies? Is there a message on the screen when it malfunctions? As Torx mentioned there are so many possibilities!

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Heath, think about a iPad, they have many drawbacks but for Internet email it's pretty well tops. Hard to get a virus if any. A learning curve and harder to find some videos but that getting easier.

I've had this iPad for 4 years bought a cheap $400 laptop with Windows 10 and its slow and more trouble than it was worth

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Heath, think about a iPad, they have many drawbacks but for Internet email it's pretty well tops. Hard to get a virus if any. A learning curve and harder to find some videos but that getting easier.

I've had this iPad for 4 years bought a cheap $400 laptop with Windows 10 and its slow and more trouble than it was worth

Windows 10 is your problem :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windows 10 is your problem :)

Really? I haven't made the switch yet myself but was planning on doing so very soon. I'm still on Win 7 as I don't like Win 8 at all. But I've heard almost all praises regarding Windows 10. And this is coming from novices to coders. I guess I won't know until I try it myself. LOL