Dark Hairy Algae?

Canadianeh

You can't see it? It is fuzzy dark thingy. Here I took more pics and let the natural light in.

Last edited:

Canadianeh

I see that. Just rock maturing. All your rock will change colors over the next few months. It will not stay white

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

But that is not part of rock though. The "fuzzy" thing" is strangely on the Fauna Marin glue that I used to aquascape the rocks.

You can actually see the "fuzzy" thing moving and you can see hair like stuffs just like hair algae

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
But that is not part of rock though. The "fuzzy" thing" is strangely on the Fauna Marin glue that I used to aquascape the rocks.

You can actually see the "fuzzy" thing moving and you can see hair like stuffs just like hair algae
Pictures are not detailed enough to see what you see bud to give an opinion

heath

Distinguished Member
is t
upload_2016-12-30_19-54-42.jpeg
his what it looks like;

SpongeAl

It looks blue, hard to tell, if I had to guess - its a sponge, if I had to bet money - its hair algae.

If you had a clearer picture not taken under actinic it would be much easier, though I'll admit this Rorschach test is more amusing.

Canadianeh

It does not look as green as that picture but they both look like have the same of hairy form.

If it is GHA, what animal I can buy to eat it?

Also, I noticed this thing come and go since before I added any livestock but I kinda shrug it off.

Phosphate test has always been showing 0 and I also have chaeto in tank as well.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
All i see is a dark spot under the rock. You would have to pull some out and take a better pic to get an id. To me in the pic and video i jist see a dark cave. Nothing stringy or moving and im viewing on my 46" tv on android box lol

heath

Distinguished Member
All i see is a dark spot under the rock. You would have to pull some out and take a better pic to get an id. To me in the pic and video i jist see a dark cave. Nothing stringy or moving and im viewing on my 46" tv on android box lol

I agree, I couldn't see anything either...

Canadianeh

According to the link that you provided, could it be cyno due to dead spot? The spot happen to be on the opposite side of the tank and facing the glass.

It has been there even before I added any livestock, and it does not grow in size. There are 2 spots that have this dark thingy, and both of them are not close to MP10 and not facing the MP10

Canadianeh

Finally I was able to pull some of the dark thingy out. Here are the pictures. Any idea?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
My bet because I can see some parts that look more wire than the rest (pic 2) it may be the start of bryopsis since it can be a blue or purple tinge depending on type but usually dark green and starts hairy before growing feather like. Here's a link with some better pics up close you can compare to. We all know pictures and reefs are no easy task together lol especially without a macro setting.

Canadianeh

My bet because I can see some parts that look more wire than the rest (pic 2) it may be the start of bryopsis since it can be a blue or purple tinge depending on type but usually dark green and starts hairy before growing feather like. Here's a link with some better pics up close you can compare to. We all know pictures and reefs are no easy task together lol especially without a macro setting.

I think you forgot to include the link :)

Also when I touched it, they are more like cotton candy or cotton ball but softer and fragile. Nothing stringy like bryopsis.