Dark Hairy Algae?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Could be a buildup of cyano as well if it's more like a slimy mat again pretty hard to see and tell in pictures. Bryopsisbryopsis starts like hair algae and once it gets a foothold it grows the stiffer feather like extensions. The feather part is it going to seed and holds the spores. But at first usually looks like dark hair algae

Canadianeh

Could be a buildup of cyano as well if it's more like a slimy mat again pretty hard to see and tell in pictures.

how is that possible that I have been having cyno on the same spot and not growing since even before I put livestock in??

But I guess it is hard to tell from the pictures. Maybe I should try to do a large water change.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
and it is only on the glue that I used to join two rocks. It is not on any rocks.

Black algae that doesn't grow or die off and only in one spot on glue.... Is it sock lint? Lol odd that it's only on your glue and not spreading or dying off if there's nutrients it should grow if not it should die off. Honestly don't know what to say most marine algae are blueish purplish or green and almost anything black is either coral or sponge. Only black algae your probably going to find online is in freshwater not marine. If you read around other forums that pop up most people that think they have a black algae turns out to be cyano, gha or sponge. Good luck on an id tho

Last edited:

Hong

According to the link that you provided, could it be cyno due to dead spot? The spot happen to be on the opposite side of the tank and facing the glass.

It has been there even before I added any livestock, and it does not grow in size. There are 2 spots that have this dark thingy, and both of them are not close to MP10 and not facing the MP10

Could be or possibly turf algae. I have some dark green/brown, and also some dark red cotton candy algae. They are fine short haired kinda like felt or carpet.

Canadianeh

my LFS think it is cynobacteria which is normal to occur in new tank. Is adding GFO reactor a good idea to tackle this?

I just started doing more than 25% WC weekly now, and just switched my salt to AF from Fauna Marin.

ColbytheClown

I think I had some of this dark stuff in my tank as well. I think that mine was cyano, but don't quote me on that.(literlally ;) ) I scrubbed mine off.

Canadianeh

I think I had some of this dark stuff in my tank as well. I think that mine was cyano, but don't quote me on that.(literlally ;) ) I scrubbed mine off.

I scrubbed some it off (it's hard to get 100% due to the nature of the rocks) and it is coming back slowly.

Nick James

You could put a small amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a syringe and squirt it on it. 1ml per 10 gallons is considered safe in a 24 hour period. If you can apply it outside the tank even better. If it is cyano or algae it will die.

Canadianeh

You could put a small amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a syringe and squirt it on it. 1ml per 10 gallons is considered safe in a 24 hour period. If you can apply it outside the tank even better. If it is cyano or algae it will die.

Squirt on it under water?