Dendro Help!!!

Michele

My dendro has always been very happy but lately the front one does not extend its tentacles fully. I was experiencing some hair algae that is now cleaned up but my dendro has this mildew like algae creeping up its skeleton. The skeletons are usually nice and white but now turning brown. Two more babies popping up amid this. What is happening and would a coral dip be beneficial?
Sorry for the bad picture.

Attachments

• 11050199_10206183496697284_454037263815037750_n.jpg
    11050199_10206183496697284_454037263815037750_n.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 114

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Yes a dip might help, I like brightwell aquatics medicoral for injured or sick corals, coralrx would be my second choice.

Michele

This is them on a normal day, they are eating and still seem healthy but this fungus like stuff has me conserned.
Should I wait a bit and see if it gets worse before I dip it? I don't want to stress it out if I don't have to.
Would maybe brushing it with a super soft toothbrush be okay to get any debris or fungus growth off?

Attachments

• 1947676_10205864336718484_4725459294783869050_n.jpg
    1947676_10205864336718484_4725459294783869050_n.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 73

SamB

Super Active Member
Hi Michelle I've had these corals for years and never experienced this type of issue

IMO Expert on this forum on this type of coral is J_T - I will ask him to weigh in

Michele

Hi Michelle I've had these corals for years and never experienced this type of issue

IMO Expert on this forum on this type of coral is J_T - I will ask him to weigh in
Thank you greatly appreciated this is my baby!!

100gallon

I just went through something similar to you. My duncan also went like that. Now all that is left is skeleton.:( I have to do more reading on brown jelly.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Michele

I just did some reading and it seems that they do "not" have a good defense against algae. I did have a problem a month ago with hair algae that I have under control now but some did start to grow on the dendros. I did my best to keep cleaning it off but I wonder if it seeded into their skeleton.

Is there anything that can kill off any algae that might still exsist on them?

Michele

Worst case, I'm happy to house with mine for a while
I'm down your way about once a week

Wouldn't want it to infect any of your corals until I know what might be happening.It would be greatly appreciated worst case scenario, will Pm you if help is needed...Thank you

Michele

Please let me know if you need additionsl pics

Michele

Dendro is non photosynthetic so you can move it to a very low light area which will help kill off the algae, I would dip them first.

I don't have alot of shaded areas big enough to accomidate her (yes it is a girl..popping out 11 babies in less than a year), I can maybe try moving something to put her under a ledge.
What would you recommend dipping her in, I usually use iodine?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
coralrx might work best to drive off the algae but lugols or medicoral might be better to repair the tissue, medicoral would be my choice.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Hmm, I am no "expert" but would agree with everything posted above.

Shade it, feed it, and worse case, frag off a baby or two, in hopes that if the main dies, you have some frags.

Can you wipe off the algae? Need to be done gently. You don't want to risk damaging the flesh any more than the algae might already be.

SamB

Super Active Member
Thanks J_T
Not to take away from any other member's suggestions about this, I'm just calling you an expert because you helped me with my dendros a while ago.
Perhaps you prefer "Guru" ?! :rolleyes:

Michele

Hmm, I am no "expert" but would agree with everything posted above.

Shade it, feed it, and worse case, frag off a baby or two, in hopes that if the main dies, you have some frags.

Can you wipe off the algae? Need to be done gently. You don't want to risk damaging the flesh any more than the algae might already be.

I can try, it might be hard in places where there are clusters of babies.
Fragging might be challenging considering I have no idea how to do that, but I guess there is always a first time for everything.
Thanks for your help :)

Would you still recommend I give it a dip?