Dendro Help!!!

SamB

Super Active Member
Another long shot but are you running carbon Michelle ?
Mushrooms have the potential to secrete a toxin that can damage / kill other corals. Generally this toxin is secreted when they are moved or disturbed or cut. Have any of these things taken place ?
Carbon will remove the toxins but if you are not running carbon then the toxins stay in the tank a lot longer ...

If your dendro doesnt make it (God forbid) then I would like to donate one of my dendro frags to you

I also agree with Sam leathers can also sluff off toxins in when placed to close to any other corals and can affect any coral in your tank....I have a devils hand and when I had placed a sps frag to close it secreted a slime that ended on one of my clams and he was very unhappy moved sps a bit away and problem stopped.....always run carbon in a mixed reef IME

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Ca 450 / Alk 8.3 30g tank/ 5g water change weekly unless I notice a change and then do 2 3g twice a week.
2 Hammer
1 Torch
1 Dendro
Star polyps
Blue clove polyps
7 Yumas 3 Ricordea, and Discosoma
5 Purple hairy mushrooms (continuously splitting)
16 frags of zoas
Sounds like you've got it covered nicely! ...had to ask...

saltyair

Here are so not so great pictures.

I came home today to find them extremely unhappy with no extension under the ledge they were under (same flow but in a more shade). They have always been fully extended and happy in the flow and open lit area. Changed my power head because I thought that maybe it may not be giving off enough flow from when I first bought it (probably needs to be cleaned).
After moving them back to their location they origanally had for 8 mnths they were fully extended and a few of Mr. Grumpy's tenticles came out within only minutes.

I know you all have suggested I keep it in more of an unlit place, should I give it more time to adjust to the new location I know it has only been two days?
Is there to much extension on their tentacles?
I want to keep the algae at bay but I also want them to be happy
:confused:View attachment 2650 View attachment 2651

As others have suggested they don't require light and would only adjust to flow.

Feed it and if still not coming out dip in coral revive and let it be ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michele

I also agree with Sam leathers can also sluff off toxins in when placed to close to any other corals and can affect any coral in your tank....I have a devils hand and when I had placed a sps frag to close it secreted a slime that ended on one of my clams and he was very unhappy moved sps a bit away and problem stopped.....always run carbon in a mixed reef IME

I did aquire a Leather mushroom and now that I think about it that is when the Dendro started to decline. I did remove and gave it to my Lfs for Free because it was getting large fast and I could use that space for alot more frags. They were a fair distance away from one onother, but your question does raise some concerns now.

Another long shot but are you running carbon Michelle ?
Mushrooms have the potential to secrete a toxin that can damage / kill other corals. Generally this toxin is secreted when they are moved or disturbed or cut. Have any of these things taken place ?
Carbon will remove the toxins but if you are not running carbon then the toxins stay in the tank a lot longer ...

If your dendro doesnt make it (God forbid) then I would like to donate one of my dendro frags to you

I have moved some mushrooms around after I purchased my last 11 frags finding homes for them. I do not run carbon in the filter every water change, I usually put it in once a month for a week. I will do another water change tonight and fill the filter with carbon. I have been running phosBan in my second filter when I had the algae out break.
I dipped the Dendro in Medicoral today after work and removed them from the rock they were glued to (trying to eliminate any further growth of algae spores that might still be within that rock) just a waiting period and patients now.
Thank you for your kindness in your quote to a donation, would be very greatful! :)

Kman

Super Active Member
What is your nutrient level like? They don't like super clean water as they use nutrient uptake of organics through Heterotrophy as one of their feeding modes on top of active feeding. Increased feeding should compensate for lower nutrient levels.

I have a massive leather with close to a 12 inch diameter base and it goes well over half way up my 180 and as long as you run carbon and do water changes the chemicals released by the leather don't bother the other corals to much, including sps. I have a Cali tort Acro right beside it with no issue and it doesn't bother any of my other SPS in the tank. But I do keep up on water changes and run a carbon reactor.

It is more likely not getting enough food and being bothered by the algae. If it is being bothered by the algae it can't open up to actively feed and top up its energy stores. To open up its polyps it creates a metabolic cost on the coral and if the energy reserves are to low it can't open very easily or it will die. Lack of food for Tubastrea sp is most often the cause of death. If it was chemical all the polyps would be effected not just one or two.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
adlnfinitum, when its time to sell the frags that you have I would certainly be interested..

Heath, I have one large single head that is ready to go that I was going to donate to The Fragtank table at the London Fragfest. I could just give it to you and you can make a donation to the site if you like.

Michele

How is your Dendro now Michele ?

I is slowly coming around, patients sometimes is not my strong point!
I am feeding it daily but not having full extension yet. But the mouth is not wide open and I have some extension when feeding.

I gave it a dip in medicoral last weekend, should I dip again or just let it be for awhile?

:) thanks for your concern, just need to give it time.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I is slowly coming around, patients sometimes is not my strong point!
I am feeding it daily but not having full extension yet. But the mouth is not wide open and I have some extension when feeding.

I gave it a dip in medicoral last weekend, should I dip again or just let it be for awhile?

:) thanks for your concern, just need to give it time.
What are you feeding them?
If they are improving I would wait.

SamB

Super Active Member
I agree with the others about feeding - at this time I would hold off for a few days to allow them to recuperate
I feed mine every other day and that seems to be working well but I have read that you can actually over feed dendros

heath

Distinguished Member
Heath, I have one large single head that is ready to go that I was going to donate to The Fragtank table at the London Fragfest. I could just give it to you and you can make a donation to the site if you like.
that would be wonderful, not a problem making a donation.. I donated almost every month now, I love this site and if my small donation helps to keep it going then I'm there..

Michele

Happy birthday Michele ;), is it coming soon or has it past. I know that not suppose to ask a women age, but hell how old are you turning :eek:

Lmao...week from Friday, proud to say the ripe old age of 49 :eek: the "BIG 50" next year!!!
Its the salt water that keeps me younger looking :p