DINO BATTLE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zakk

Re: Nuisance algae

Yep, he's not on the member list, and he's marked as 'guest' in threads.  I didn't think it was that big a deal, but he got steamed pretty quick...and it was over a $50 checker.  I really did try to diffuse him, but he was hell bent, who knows maybe he had some other shit going on in his life, I don't know. 

Z

Zakk

So someone mentioned somewhere about getting a microscope to look at this stuff and be sure it's dino's and not just diatoms (there are pictures of both online that look like the other).  Anybody know what I would be looking for if I get this stinkin' stuff onto a slide? I borrowed a pretty good one from a buddy, but then realized I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Z

Zakk

:sigh:

Well the microscope tells the tale. They look -exactly- like a bunch of sesame seeds swimming around, pretty active too.  I'm 99% sure these are 'red tide' dinoflagellates.  (Peridinium)

Doing a lot of reaading, there are a number of people that experienced them after using GFO, and there is reference: Other factors such as iron-rich dust influx from large desert areas such as the Saharan desert are thought to play a major role in causing red tides.

These suckers are indeed brown/red and I wonder if they are somehow feeding off the iron oxide. 

Tough call.  There is success in increasing ph, but also running lights out.  I have a huge brittle star that split itself in two last time I raised ph more that .2 in a short period with kalk.  It does seem to say that a lot of my livestock is at risk, and perhaps a complete tank nuking in my future.  These things grew today in 0.00 phosphates and .01 nitrates, and with only an actinic bulb.  You should see them in a microscope, there's a million in just a drop I pulled off some liverock with a pipette.  I really don't want to try peroxide, seems like killing the patient to cure the disease, but who knows. 

P

phi delt reefer

tear it down...

get one of these;

goldfishbowlring.jpg

P

phi delt reefer

LOL just kidding man but try total lights out with no feeding for 3 days. Also vacumm the sand bed completely the day you start the lights out.

if not... tear it down and rebuild my friend.... gotta cut your losses some time. Tell me if you need some help, I am in London too.

Z

Zakk

Okay, the light in the microscope fried the little f-----ellas, so I could get a good look at them. Chattonella ovata (Raphidophyceae)

Not exactly flagellates, however, they're still toxic, and still cross referenced with 'red tide'.  Oddly enough, it is mentioned that they produce hydrogen peroxide, so it's odd that peroxide is cited as a 'cure'.

Well looks like I'll try 3 days blackout and maybe stop the GFO, but yeah, replace the rox carbon.  On the plus side, at least the physical hardware will be sound, and I was hoping to move the tank anyway.  Well I'll give my best shot at killing it off. 

http://www.europe-aliens.org/speciesFactsheet.do?speciesId=53263

Z

Zakk

First day of the blackout.  Flashlight definitely shows no new growth, but some filaments waving in the breeze.  I am going to swap out the carbon now, and disconnect the gfo.  There was just too many references to GFO and dinos on the net. 

We'll see how my freshly populated turf scrubber and big chunk of chaeto do.  I can't imagine 3 days of lights out can do anything to that level of algae. 

I'm going to blast rocks and coral on a regular basis (every few hours) and change the floss in the overflows constantly.  I am definitely worried about the reputed toxicity of this stuff, but as of yet no lifestock losses.  I can get the ph up to about 8.2 with the lights out, but really can't dump bulk lime into the tank without killing that brittle star, which I would like to avoid.  I upped the dose of microbacter7 to 40ml per day.  I have a new skimmer but am waiting on a part, but the old one is skimming pretty good.

I read a could of reports of people doing the 3 day blackout once a month for 6 months, even if they don't see any of the little buggers.  I think I'll adopt that IF I can even rid myself of them this time.  I have sort of steeled myself for a total loss, so anything better than that is a blessing. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

I have had dinos, and got rid of them by reducing lighting and vacuuming them up. I noticed that after the lights have been on, they get worse as long as the light duration goes. Keep changing water every few days and reduce lighting. If u can, kill the lights for 3 days, do a major water change and see how things go.

I notice if I am not a regular maintenance schedule, these things happen.

Good luck!

Z

Zakk

teebone110 link said:
I have had dinos, and got rid of them by reducing lighting and vacuuming them up. I noticed that after the lights have been on, they get worse as long as the light duration goes. Keep changing water every few days and reduce lighting. If u can, kill the lights for 3 days, do a major water change and see how things go.

I notice if I am not a regular maintenance schedule, these things happen.

Good luck!

What's funny is these resulted from an over-the-top maintenance schedule. :)

Z

Zakk

Yep today is day one of the full blackout.  I peeked in with a flashlight and there was very little on the rocks, and none on the substrate (I've been actinic only for 2 days prior).  I blasted off what I could, and when everything settles, later tonight I will do a vaccum of the sand and change the filter floss. 

I have read that water changes can fuel them with trace elements, some people had good luck in starving them of everything by reducing light, water changes and GFO.  ??

Krazykarl

Super Active Member

I'm having bad cyano right now as well. Few good size areas on rocks covered and sand turning red too. Cut back on vodka dosing and letting it take it's course. If it worsens I'll remove manually.

Z

Zakk

Just make sure it's not dinos.  Seems to be pretty common lately... I stopped vodka dosing too when it started.  You running GFO?

P

phi delt reefer

test your ro water for phosphates... post the results.

Z

Zakk

phi delt reefer link said:
test your ro water for phosphates... post the results.

Hanna checker, 2 separate tests with tank water and sump water, 3 runs through each: 0.00, 0.00, 0.02      0.00, 0.01,0.01   

Phosphates were .78 a month ago, I've been doing massive water changes, filtering, GFO/CARBON/SCRUBBER to get the ph down.  I have tracked them from .78 to 0  (I have a full log of parameter results for the past month, I've been a good mother hen for the first time in years).

Z

Zakk

This pest has started making me consider a UV unit.  Do you have the link to the units on canreef?

Status
Not open for further replies.