Diy Coral Snow?!?

Chef G

Been using Coral Snow by KZ for over 2 weeks now and wow its clearing up my tank pretty good now been battling a bloom even after reducing phosphate and nitrate still had algae after dosing the coral snow ive noticed the battle going better now in my favor.

Anyways this stuff is hella expensive and noticed after doing research that this stuff can be made.

check this link was wondering if an experienced reefer can verify this as it sounds too good to be true...

DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity) - Do It Yourself
Page 1 of 10 - DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity) - posted in Do It Yourself: So Korallen Zuchts Zeovit product line has been around for a while. It contains many products, but one that finds usefulness outside of the ultra low nutrient setups is…
NANO-REEF.COM

Chef G

Lol I wanna know cause a bottle at a health food store is 15.00 before taxes and you can make lots saving 100's of dollars lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chef G

Interesting. I have 330G so imagine how happy I'd be.
exactly! Did some math and check out these numbers!!

115g of calcium carbonate powder per 230ml of RO/DI water yields 250ml of DIY Coral Snow

1LB Calcium Carbonate powder 97% pure food grade $20 or less from a natural food store.

1lb = 453grams
That's close to 740ml of DIY coral snow for 20.00!! lol

Gunna look more into this any more experience reefers on here know anything about this is it true is coral snow calcium carbonate powder?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Yes it is true and the DIY will actually be higher purity than the grade used in the kz product which contains low level phosphates and silicates.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
This stuff will work. I've been using hydrated lime sold at the hardware store as my kalk mixture for close to a yr now.

My only concern with this is the purity will be better than kz as it will be food grade. Just watch your CA and alk when dosing this stuff

Sony Xperia Z3

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So it's completely removed from the tank from skimming? Or....
Yes. The chalk never gets dissolved in the water. Other waste clings to the chalk which is then removed by the skimmer. Normally cloudiness clears up in a few hours and no negative effects or changes as nothing is dissolved in the water (pending purity)

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Nighthawk26

I use Coral Snow, and can totally attest to what it does. If I try this I just want to make sure there are no ill effects at all. It would literally save a small fortune.

Chef G

OK so after reading pages among pages.... this is what I found out. It works!! as far as the difference from 97% to 100% there isn't any! ( I bought the 100% as in the 3% extra
The Calcium will stay suspended in your tank and is removed via skimmer, it never dissolves adding more calcium.

Only advantage from using this over the real KZ product is you dont have to use everyday like the real KZ stuff recommends, members from RC that have used the DIY recipe reported that you can use 3 times a week! no need to does everyday like orig KZ's tells you to.

As far as prices for the powder it varies like alot!! I was able to find a couple on amazon for 8.99 for 12oz bottom line regardless what your paying its like buying KZ at a 90% discount every time! With the USD so much higher than us expect to see KZ coral snow price jump higher, save your money!

Only safety concern is wear a mask when mixing! as it can be harmful if accidentally inhaled which is very easy considering how find the particles are!

Tomorrow im going to a health food's store in the sarnia area to find !

Nighthawk26

Ok, so for kz recommendations. I haven't ever followed them. Of course they want you to use it every day. It may make a slight improvement. However not only do I use every few days I don't use as much as they say to use either.

Now. Is there a recipe for Pohls special and LPS?

Either way, in the summer KZ usually has 40 off sales, and thats when I try to buy.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I would like to clarify one thing though. This is NOT to be confused with marine snow and/or TLF marine snow (A food for filter-feeding marine invertebrates that feed on particulate and dissolved organic matter, phytoplankton and zooplankton)...

1099431114.gif

Here is a reefbuilders.com article on it. Nice little quick read. https://reefbuilders.com/2013/10/07/zeovit-coral-snow-awesome/

I will be looking at it when I get a doser and set up it to dose 10ml a night or other night. It will replace GAC (activate-carbon) and give you the same clarity only automated, cheaper and cleaner. I was looking at a 3 head doser (calcium, mag, lanthanum chloride), but now starting to think I need at least 4 if I like this. Maybe I will just use my old DIY doser for this ;)